Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rooftop Hamstick installation  (Read 1068 times)
AC7KZ

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2001, 01:17:03 AM »

I have a "crazy" idea.  I have a 75 meter Hamstick antenna.  I would like mount it to a vent pipe on the roof of my Qth.  The question is, is this a reasonable undertaking, or a waste of time.  If it is something worth pursuing, what type of radial system should I use.  I have read using 1/4 wavelength radials on "normal" verticals. Any comments or suggestions. Thanks alot, Paul  AC7KZ
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2001, 08:34:34 AM »

I have used a 20 meter Hamstick mounted on a small pie tin attached to a small wood platform with a couple of small bricks to hold it steady on a flat roof, strung out 4 radials 1/4 wave in length attached to the pie tin, seems to work well and almost stealth.  Worth a try.

Jerry
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2001, 08:03:32 AM »

Paul,

I have a 40 meter Hamstick mounted on the front peak of my house. I have three, 33ft(1/4 w) Radials, two run down the slope of the roof, one out to a tree in the front yard. I have a MFJ 9440 w/ 12 watts and have had good results. I have it hooked to a 949 tuner but at 7.225 it is almost flat and only 1.8:1 at 7.290.
Being I plan on using this ant. for mobile use I didn't want to cut the whip yet so just left it and it is LONG according to the chart. Not often a guy gets such luck. When I first keyed up I wondered if I should stand back and key up the mike with a long stick 'case she blows !!
Steve
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2001, 03:19:29 AM »

As with any installation, you have to have a counterpoise or groundplane. I run triple Hustler mobile antennas on  Triple magmounts on the metal roof of my 24x56 mobile home. One set up with resonators for 10-15-20, another for 80-40-30. This works. If you don't have a metal roof, plan on real radials if you want it to work. Or go with TWO hamsticks to make a dipole. you could go vertical, one vert and one horizontal, or two at angles, like rabbit ears. Be creative!
Fred Wagner, KQ6Q
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2001, 06:35:24 AM »

As an ARES active ham in a hurricane target state (NC) I am intersted in portable HF ops and have experimented a lot with compromise ( small ) antennas. The hamsticks are a wonderful thing when you understand what you are deaing with and have correct expectations. The 20m & 40m sticks seem to work fine just about any way you run'em. My favorite is on a camera tri-pod ( 4ft.) with 16ft. radials. This rocks on 20m (especially PSK) and is ok on 40m. BUT, the 80m stick is a huge compromise, but it will work. Just don't expect great results. It is best to do it with 1/4 wave radials ( 60-65ft.) If space is a problem, try radials tuned to 80m with loading coils ( I've been wanting to try that myself ). By the way , the 20m and 40m sticks work well on 40m-10m with a tuner......better than the 80m stick on those bands.
73 and good luck de Matt, kf4zgz
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2001, 02:45:51 AM »

I have 5 Hamstick type antennas and I use a magmount ona Radio Shack tripod that costs $20 or so. I use it with my RV and it works fine with my little MFJ tuner. I haven't tried to use loose radials from the feet but will next time out. Good luck
Frank
KL7IPV
W5WJP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2001, 08:12:54 AM »

I think you have just solved my HF antenna problems. The park I am in doesn't really allow any type of antennas, except "TV" antennas attached to the back 1/3 of the house. I passed a small 6m log periodic off as a deep fringe TV antenna, but couldn't think of any way to get a HF antenna up. Mag-mounts on the roof with hamstick dipoles sound like a perfect way to go.
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2002, 01:16:35 PM »

A hamstick dipole is alot easier than running a radial system for 40 or 75 meters.  Virginia RACES has a hamstick dipole fact sheet I can email anyone who would like to contact me.

This is really a compromise antenna and on 40 and 75 meters which is considerable down from a resonant dipole, but it sure beats not getting on the air at all.  For short path within 300 miles for EmCom or local ragchews it's better than a vertical because it has a high radiation angle and is horizontally polarized.  

Our fact sheet explains a dual-band set up with two pairs of hamsticks on the same feed so that you don't need to change antennas from 40 to 75 meters when RACES operations continue from daytime into the evening.

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia RACES State Training Officer
K5NHJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2002, 11:25:12 AM »

Ed, I would like a copy of your fact sheet on Hamstick dipoles. I am in a situation where that is about the only feasible way to get on the air.
Many thanks, OM. 73.
Norm
KG4SSC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 09:23:15 PM »

Hello,

Your entry about dual ham stick antennas was just what I was looking for. I am moving to an area which does not allows antennas, and am going to put a 1/2 G5RV in my attic.

However, there is not enough room to put a full G5RV in the attic, so I am looking for ways of working 75 and 80 meters by another way.

Would you please send me the fact sheet on dual Ham Stick antennas?

I am a member of the Orange County ARES organization in Orlando, Florida, and I will be sure to share the fact sheet with them.

Thanks, and 73

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: