Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are living life upside down.....  (Read 1343 times)
WR8Y

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2002, 06:59:35 PM »

Someone want to explain this to me:

The FCC wants to stop illegal CB ampifiers, so they force 10 and 12 meters off all of our amps.  (Like a 4 watt CB could drive an SB-220.)  

Now, years later, I could have my choice of amps on Ebay for use on CB.  They have stuff I have never even heard of in 27 years as a ham!   Even two and three stage amps that will take a CB directly to "over 1,000 watts of clean mod."  I know, eBay has rules against this, and they catch maybe 25% of these, but it is still true that the BEST place to go to buy an illegal amp is eBay!

I don't really care what they are doing below 28mHz (if they'd stay down there!)  I'v even thought of buying one of these to use as parts for a 6 meter project to boost my 10 watt Alinco DX-70 - but these things go for too much money!

And just who was it that thought all these "HFers" are so stupid as to believe that the FCC's actions did any good?   SOme of these guys have a LOT of technical ability!   One of the most impressive hams I"v ever met was a guy known as "Jigs" on the CB/HF band.  He passed away years ago - but the amp he built while a cber was impressive.  Beautiful construction, lowpass fiter, and (this was cool) five 9-volt batteries for the bias supply!  (I should also note that he became a good, law-abiding ham, even picked up CW well... so sad he died at 38.)

I'm just sick of being targeted for the actions of others.  

BUT, I guess that's why our answer to 19 male Arab hijackers is to search elderly widows!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 08:41:56 AM »

Let me tell you the story:

During the REAL hayday of CB radio (circa 1976-1979) during one of the better peaks in the propagation cycle,  one of the biggest suppliers of CB equipment was Yaesu. Their original FT101 and several models up to the FT101E, all had 11 meters on the bandswitch. In the tank circuit one of the switch wafer's contacts applied cutoff bias to the final to keep it from tranmitting on 11 meters. At the time, I worked for CW Electronics in Denver, Colorado. I didn't know where this was, but every CBer in Denver did! ANd they knew which wire to cut, too. I can't tell you how many FT101s the CB Division sold, but most were dropped shipped to secondary dealers (read that CB dealers) but I'd guess over 1,000 of them. I sold at least 250 of them to hams and sooner or later a lot of those ended up in the hands of CBers who would pay a premium for one. One of the local CB shops I was aware of sold them for $1,000 as fast as they could get them in. And by no means was CW Electronics the only supplier. Even Browning, the so-called premium maker of CBs, sold a unit that would run 100 watts out by just clipping a wire.

Yaesu's FT series of amp also supported 11 meters, as did Kenwood's original TL922. And there were dozens of others.

As for the current amps out there, most if not all allow some sort of mod if you can verify your license status. Not handy, but a passable alternative to an out-right ban.

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 08:46:34 AM »

One more thing. If you really want to get your ire up, do a search on the web for Marathon radios. The guy who owns RCI apparently is selling rigs which operate on 40 meters with no CW capability. But they do have FM which is illegal on 40. By cutting a jumper diode, it operates in the "unlicensed portion of 40" or 6.7 to 7. But if you listen you'll hear what sounds like CB talk on the low part of 40 (7.005 to 7.010).

Alan, KØBG

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 08:08:50 PM »

"...One of the most impressive hams I"v ever met
 was a guy known as "Jigs" on the CB/HF band.
 He passed away years ago - but the amp
 he built while a cber was impressive.
 Beautiful construction, lowpass fiter,
 and (this was cool) five 9-volt batteries
 for the bias supply!
 (I should also note that he became a good,
 law-abiding ham..."

I beg to differ.  If he built and used equipment that was not type accepted for CB, (regardless of workmanship or techincal design excellence) or exceeded the CB power limit, he was NOT a "law abiding" ham.  He was a ham, he was operating illegally, and whether or not his ham operations were "squeaky clean" he was NOT law abiding.  And as a ham, he KNEW, and should have ACTED, better.
KE3GK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 09:12:58 AM »

TO WAZ9SVD - well , there we go ... good one ... kick a dead man right in the nuts.  
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 01:25:03 AM »

But WA9SVD is EXACTLY correct. The terms "law abiding" do not correlate with "CB amps". He was one or the other.  Sorry, but that isn't kicking a dead man; it is stating it as it was.
Frank
KL7IPV
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 04:50:00 AM »

I meant no further disrespect to a person who has passed away; but that's actually TOTALLY irrelevant.  
    Silent key or not, if he operated in an illegal manor, he was opeating illegally, and can not be considered "law abiding."  He knew better, and just because his illegal operations may have been outside the ham bands, doesn't make that operation any more or less illegal. And as Amateur Radio Operators we ae supposed to be aware of the regulations.  Willful violation in ANY service, whether it be Amateur, CB, GMRS, etc. should not be defended or condoned, but should be the basis for FCC action.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 08:59:05 AM »

The post about the deceased gentlement indicated that he did not engage in the illegal activities AFTER he became a ham only before.  So it would be correct to state the "...he became a law abiding..."
KE3GK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2002, 12:03:06 PM »

I see no difference in throwing rocks, be it HAM Radio, speeding, stealing pencils from work or cheating on your income tax returns.

People (HAMs) are quick to point out the illegal operators (dead or alive) but thinks it's OK to break laws in other ways.

Now, I'm not saying I am free from guilt, I'm just saying, let's respect people, especially the SKs.

Yes, he may have been wrong before becoming a HAM, but he became legal after becoming a HAM, hence, what he did in the past is only human and forgiven. (or should be).

It's either the way we write our posts or the way others perceive them that - both can be misunderstood.  

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2002, 03:57:07 AM »

I meant no disrespect to a Silent Key, and that was not my point.  If the gentleman obtained his Amateur Radio License and maintained a legitimate, legal station, that's good, but that's what's expectd of ALL of us.  If he gave up use of his non-legal CB equipment (NOTE, I didn't say ALL CB equipment) and continued to operate within the rules for that service also, then I misunderstood the post, and I'm glad he, or anyone else in a similar situation will follow the rules and regulations, even if they haven't in the past.
   If that's the case, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.  
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 03:12:33 AM »

Has anyone hear heard the old saying about beating a dead horse?

Geeezzz.

KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2002, 04:48:40 PM »

Having kept my first rig all these years, a TenTec Argonaut 509 (my only HF rig at present) I have occasionally picked up one of the illegal amplifiers.  I got them used and cheap, and reasoned that I was getting them out of illegal service.  I sometimes wondered if I was adding to the sales of illegal amps, but now think I did the right thing.  Some of them were trash, but some were pretty good amps in their own right, and I always made sure I passed them on only to licensed operators.  I don't have one now - QRP is great fun and much less worry (RFI) when you have close neighbors.  

I am always glad to hear of a CB/HFer "seeing the light" and finding they can have a lot more fun legally than they can illegally.  Let's keep talking up amateur radio, running license classes and volunteer exams, joining clubs, and boosting friendly and helpful activity on our bands.  (I was chuckling during the 10M contest wondering what the HFers thought of all that wierd interference they experienced ...  maybe some of them will ask around and even be converted!)
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 11:45:03 AM »

Illegal CB is like gun laws.

Keep the easy to regulate honest persons honest as they always have been with rules & laws.

As always, let the crooks have all the guns & CB 'kickers' they want via open sales on the internet from dealers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: