Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POWER OUT ON TS-940SAT  (Read 568 times)
N4BAA

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2004, 06:33:26 PM »

My TS 940SAT's power out is 125 watts when I turn it on ....within 15 minutes of remaining on....power out drops to about 70-75 wtts.  Turn it off for 30 min...back to 125 watts out!  Anyone experience this or have some guideance?  

Thanks,

Jose - N4BAA
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 03:52:58 PM »

all bands , just one , or a few ?
N4BAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 07:19:13 AM »

Checked it last night....It happens on all bands...

Jose
W7TUX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 12:18:04 AM »

Working on one right now.  Check your fans, there are two of them.  They are small and dont make any noise.  There is one on the power supply and the final.  This guy lost the one on the power supply and when it gets hot he looses the whole rig.  The fan on the final does not operat as much but will take out the finals untill they cool off.  Also check the thermisters.  Good luck.
N4BAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 09:10:43 PM »

Hello Again!

About the heating issue in my 940SAT and reduced power out!

Question about the fans…

Just opened the top cover…to look around…..I see the two fans…

Power supply fan on back right is NOT turning at all…..I think that should power up all the time right?
When I apply power it attempts to move but does not...

The fan on the finals (Back left) IS cutting on…but I take it the heat on from the power supply is causing my degradation !! Sound right!

I use to have two 930S’s back until about 3 years ago and they had the same issue with fans….

NOW…is that hard to replace…as long as I am correct in my assumption that the fan should stay on all the time on the power supply!  Can someone else with a 940 tell me if their PS fan is on all the time???

Let me know if you would please!

73 and Thanks in advance!
Jose Castillo - N4BAA
N4BAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 02:37:15 PM »

UPDATE....CAN NOT FIGURE THIS OUT!

Found the FINALS fan inop!  Tested the thermister by jumping across it....YEP...fan came on just fine!...Don't have another thermister locally that will work and Kenwood says 2.5 weeks to get more in...ARGHHHHHH

Here is the real issue...when I jump across the thermister....Rig will NOT transmit!  NOTHING..PTT/SEND/CW VOX ON...nothing....put the thermister back in...and radio transmits...but the fan won't ever come on?Huh

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jose - N4BAA
BUFFOON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 04:13:38 PM »

I gotta ask - don't you have a schematic?

That should tell you why that thermistor (yes that's an "o" not an "e") does what it does...
N4BAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 08:14:56 AM »

Thanks Buffoon!  Nothing like hiding behind a "name"./

Anyway...tested circuits...GREAT..both fans do work..but I am still having a reduced power indication after about 10 to 15 minutes....

WOnder if the VCO could be drifing...Will wait for the manaul and jump in and do the aligment....

Those who contributed...thanks!....for Buffoon...well...the name suits you well!

73s
Jose - N4BAA
BUFFOON

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »

Glad to see you took my advice and are getting a manual.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: