Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember the first Ham you heard on a radio?  (Read 371 times)
K5CEY

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2004, 01:58:20 AM »

Going back a few years, but that's OK, because I'm almost an OT.

In 1951 my father bought me my first radio. A Philmore "Little Wonder" crystal radio set. It was a classic set with a "cat's whisker" and slider on the tuning coil instead of a tuning condenser (capacitor). Also a new pair of Trimm 2000 ohm headphones to use with it.

I was 7 years old at the time and lived in Raleigh, NC. As I recall, I could hear only one local AM station (WRAL in town) as a rule, but by adjusting the slider, I could hear a weak mix of several other stations.

One day, while playing with the coil slider, I heard a man talking. He got louder as I slid the control all the way to one end. In those days, he was probably transmitting on 75 meter AM.

It was W4ANU. We had a 1950 Call Book and my father showed me how to look up his call letters and address. He was only a couple blocks away. A guy named Harry Wiggs.

Been well over 50 years, but I still remember that he lived at 1625 Sunrise Avenue in Raleigh.

John

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »

First ham I ever heard was W2JZD in Union, NJ, about 3-4 miles from my parents' home, where I grew up.

I'll never forget him telling about his "160 meter" rig (it was AM, or course), and my trying to figure out how he could have one hundred sixty meters on a radio...how'd he fit them all in?

My little radio at the time didn't even have a meter!

Two years later when I wanted to become a Novice and was looking for somebody to give the test (remember how it was back then?), I looked up Ben, W2JZD and called him on the telephone.  I was sad to find out (from his XYL) that Ben had passed on a couple of months earlier, so he could not give me the test.  Wish I had started a few months earlier, so he could have, and I'm sure he would have.

WB2WIK/6
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:10:30 PM »

About forty years ago, the man who lived next to my grandparents was a pilot for pan am and was very active operator.  He had his station in the garage behind the house.  You could tell he was on the air because of the glow of all the equipment lamps that was visible from the window.

I don't remember his callsign but his name was edgar canivan from brooklyn ny.
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:26:19 PM »

First amateur heard was K2ORI, Ed Johnson; first QSO was on 2M with WA2IFY, Jim Condon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: