Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring a Heil Mic for Kenwood  (Read 2189 times)
2E1RDX

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2004, 08:07:42 AM »

I have just bought a Heil PR20 Microphone but the 8 pin plug was cut off so i am left with the following
2 white wires, 2 red wires, 2 earth wires, 1 blue and 1 black wire does anyone have one of these mics that could tell me which wires are used and which are not and what order or pin they go to for Kenwood or any other radio for that matter I could then work it out from there
many thanks in advance
Ian 2E1RDX
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

Have you contacted Bob Heil for the pinout? Seems to me he would be the person to ask, sicne it's his microphone.

Good luck,

Lon
VK2ACM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 06:13:16 AM »

Ian,
Please read the below from a site i found :

Please note that this microphone is design with studio and broadcast applications in mind rather than amateur radio use. This is a balanced line 3 pin XLR and works into professional mixers, EQ such as the Behringer MX 620, Julius Jones W2IHY, etc. Does not include mic cable. Shipped in a padded carry case. Please note that this mic is now produced with a flat black body with a silver wind screen as shown above (not the earlier bronze lacquer body and gold screen).

NOTE:
This mic is not designed for traditional ham radio use, and will not work in a conventional manner with most amateur transceivers.

Specifications:
Generating Element: Dynamic
Body: Mate Steel body is zinc die cast
Frequency Response: 40 to 18,000 Hz
Impedance: 600 ohms balanced
Connections: Pin 1 Shield ground, Pin 2 + , Pin 3 -
Output Level: -55dB @ 1,000 Hz.
Polar Pattern: Cardioid, uniform front to back discrimination
Diaphragm: Large diameter low-mass aluminum
Finish: Flat Black with silver wind screen
Net Weight: 14 oz.

VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:18:58 AM »

The PR-20 WILL work quite nicely in ham radio applications.  I am using the Goldline Pro which is essentially the amateur version of the PR20.  Only concern with either mic is there is no PTT switch, unlike the Goldline HM4-or HM-5. The dual version (HM-10) also has the PTT switch. You can use a foot switch or a desk mounted switch as I do.  Works no problem.  You can always use VOX if your rig has it.

And by the way, the mics sound fantastic.

Wiring on my Pro might be the same as the PR20. Inside the braid is a black wire and a white wire.  I use the white and braid for mic audio into the rig.  There is also a blue wire and red wire outside the braid.  These were used for PTT. I personally wouldn't go drilling any holes in the mic body, but if one was so inclined, you could mount a small momentary switch in the body and use the red and blue wire for PTT into the radio.

Good luck,

Max VE3TMT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: