Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linked Repeaters?  (Read 412 times)
AB1DZ

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2005, 06:20:53 PM »

Greetings!!

I am setting up memory for my Yaesu 7800.  I have a copy of New England Repeaters.

I noticed that many repeaters have links.  What exactly are links?  Does this mean that these repeaters are linked together, so that If I make contact with one, I also have all the others?
Would the CTCSS code have to be the same for all 'Linked' repeaters?

Thanks,

Roland
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 08:38:37 PM »

This could mean almost anything.   Here in the Spokane area, there is a system known as KBARA, which I THINK has 4 repeaters (maybe 3) normally "linked"  all the time.   This means that if you use one, the others also come online.

However,  this system can ALSO be "linked"  if  you are a member, and have the proper tone commands (DTMF, or touchtone)  you can command the "Evergreen Intertie"  in different levels.  

When the entire system is/was working, and all the linksn were enabled, you could work people in part of Portland Oregon, north to Seattle WA,  and west to Coeur d Alene, Idaho, and somewhat beyond.

"Linked"  means whatever the owner has hooked to it, and it varies.  It also varies as to what you, as a user, can use.   If you are a nonpaying user, you may or may not use the link.  If you are a paid member, or some "insider"  charter member, and so on.  It just varies, and you'll have to contact each repeater owner to find out.

Of course nowadays, you have to be wary of an internet "link" as well (IRLP)
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 08:39:57 PM »

<< I noticed that many repeaters have links. What exactly are links? >>

They are the interconnection between two repeaters. Most often they are radio, but they can also be hardwired.

<<Does this mean that these repeaters are linked together, so that If I make contact with one, I also have all the others? >>

Yes, on a linked system when you key up one repeater you key them all.

<< Would the CTCSS code have to be the same for all 'Linked' repeaters?>>

Yes.

FYI, the linked systems can be all 2m, all 220, all 440 or any combination, thereof, including 10m, 6m, 1.2g and so forth. Here in Baltimore we have one system that is 2/220/440.

Lon
WD4JZO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:32:27 PM »

Roland,
N3ZKP has it right and if you go to the N1IMO web page you will get the info for his system. Put them all into memory and depending where you are just key the closest repeater to your location such as Hollis 146.730 minus offset PL 88.5 or the pack machine and about 5 others. You are in Bedford so give N1JDK a call since he is also in Bedford or myself in Hollis.
Hope to hear you on the air. I'll be down south from 2/19-2/27 so unless you're on 17 mtrs (18.140) you won't catch me :-)
73, Jim (NH-ARES)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: