Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Receive Audio Enhancement  (Read 575 times)
WO8USA

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »

I am trying to increase the RECEIVE audio quality.  I have a Yaseu Mark V and mainly run SSB DX. Does anyone use any sound processors to get better quality (something like a Behringer or other outboard processor)?  I have herd the matching yasey speake and its not what I am looking for.  Just seems like all the attention given to enhancing TRANSMIT quality would be reciprocated on the RECEIVE side.

My goal is to lessen the receiver hiss and boost the voice audio level.  I have used teh inteernal settings/menus to their limit, including INRAD filters.  I undersatnd I won't get FM-quality but surely an improvement is possible.

Any positive experiences appreciated,
Chris WO8USA
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 07:57:37 AM »

Sounds to me that what you need of is an outboard audio filter of the SCAF (switched capacitor audio filter) type.  Another consideration would be to pick up a Radio Shack DSP filter (ebay...) as they work well for what you say you need.

I run all my rigs thru my old Bencher ZX-2 Audio Filter for exactly the reason you say you need one.  It's been a permenant fixture in my shacks for 20+ years and still delivers the goods.

Jim/k7unz
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:57:25 AM »

To be honest, the best way I have found to enhance received audio is to use an external speaker. We run an Icom transceiver in the HF shack at our radio club and one of the first things I did was donate a spare speaker I had from an audio project. At first the difference didn't sound too dramatic but when after 12 months or so I unplugged it and we listened to the audio on the tiny internal speaker there was a chorus of requests to plug it back in.

Ha5RXZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 02:31:49 PM »

Use headphones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: