Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SELLING STUFF IN NATIONAL FORUM FOR LOCAL PICKUP  (Read 621 times)
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »

Hello guys,
  What do you think about people posting items for sale on a national forum, but for local pick up only?
  I understand the argument that they feel they will reach a larger market but they are still generally confined to their local region, unless of course it is an expensive item going at a give away price. Alot of people will drive a long way for an item such as that I am sure, but lets face it, most hams know what they have and usually ask the fair market value or more for classified items to start with!
  I think if you are not willing to ship the item, keep the advertisement on your local swap nets or news/trader papers.
  Maybe most of these people are just too lazy to ship their items I do not know.
 Also, what do you think when someone says "X" amount of dollars for something plus shipping, but when they say how much shipping is, you know it is three times the actual amount it is costing them? I was going to buy an item half the size of a carton of smokes and about the same weight from a guy in my own state and he said UPS wanted $18!!! I know better than that and asked him to send it thru the Post Office but he never contacted me again. I hate when people do that!
  What do you guys think?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 04:33:35 AM »

It all depends on what your are selling.  For instance, if I was selling my 2.4GHz, Barbeque Grill antenna, I would not want to have to break it down to minimize shipping costs.  Conversely, I wouldn't even want to contemplate trying to package it to ship assembled.

If I couldn't sell it for local pickup, it would be simpler to just scrap it.

Dennis KG4RUL
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 05:54:22 AM »

I don't see the problem with advertising it on a national forum. If you don't want to pick it up then don't respond. I don't see any for sale forums that are so overloaded that removing a few "local pick up" items would make any difference.

As for the UPS shipping charges, it makes a great deal of difference where he is shipping it from. If he takes it directly to UPS the cost is lower. If he takes it to a local outfit like Mailboxes, Etc. then it costs more. If he has them wrap it and insure it then that costs even more.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »

Sounds like another disgruntled customer post, to me.

Some people may be willing to drive several hundred miles to pick up a particular item rather than trust it to shipping.

I was looking at a complete Collins S-Line that was 400 miles from me. I would make the trip in a heartbeat rather than risk damage in shipping, even though the cost would have been triple over shipping.

Lon

PS - QUALITY packing isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than trying to replace damaged items.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:22:17 AM »

No problem with this at all.

Advertising in many national forums is "free," so why not use them?  If it's "pick up only" and says so, what's the problem?  You don't even need to waste a phone call.

HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 04:45:25 PM »

Lon, you assume way too much.
 Interesting views and ideas, all of which seem to differ from mine.
  AA4PB- I guess I assume too much sometimes as well because I could not imagine paying a premium for someone else to wrap and pack my item for me. I guess some people do though. In regards to packing, I sent a 35LB radio through Fed Ex with $1000 of insurance at my local hardware store and it only cost $21. It was traveling three states away and that price includes packing materials and all, which is no problem to obtain and are not that expensive in my experience.
 Lon, I may be way off base here but, someone would either want something really bad, seller is offering it cheap, or someone has more money than sense at todays gas prices to drive the kind of distance you are talking about.
  If you have someone selling an "S" line for the fair market value already, and you are 400 miles away, unless you keep this item for the rest of your life, you will probably never come close to getting your investment back!
 Steve, I understand your opinion completely on buying local and the like, but I have found it nearly impossible to ever find a piece of equipment I am looking for locally. Do not misunderstand, I have found some great deals locally, but to begin a hunt for say a Mosley TA33 JR. and say to myself "I am not going to buy it unless I can pick it up locally" and get any results would be surprising.
 You are right Steve, it is "No problem" but when you do find that ad your looking for it is disheartening when you get to the bottom and it says local pick-up only.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 10:27:31 AM »

Hammertime:

Sorry you think I assume too much. You're the one who was griping and complaining. Smiley

As for not getting a return on my gasoline "investment", I don't buy to later sell at a higher price. I buy with the intention of keeping and using.

A friend of mine went from Baltimore to Orlando this spring to personally pick up several Collins pieces. He considered the expense well worth it. True, gas prices are higher now, but that's a decision we all have to make individually.

To each his own.

Lon
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 08:07:28 PM »

Don't see what the problem is here.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

If you don't like the shipping "charge", don't buy it.

If you don't like the fact that it's pick-up only, move on to another item.

Jim/k7unz
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 06:37:38 AM »

In my situation to give the package directly to UPS I either have to drive 17 miles each way or arrange to have someone standing by at the house waiting for them to pick it up. I can take it to the local mailboxes store (2 miles away) and they will handle it for an added fee. If I want it insured, I have to let them wrap it (for an additional fee). So, there can be good reasons for additional shipping costs.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 05:53:24 AM »

I've bought and sold several items on eHam where the buying/selling wound up being with local folks.  I didn't specify local pick-up, but it worked out that way.  Since so many folks monitor these major web sites, you probably get more local exposure on one of these national web sites than you would on some local web site.

Phil - AD5X
N2VPC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 07:24:17 PM »

I do it all of the time -- especially for big heavy stuff for which shipping would far exceed the value of the item.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 10:01:01 AM »

Sorry for the late comment.

1) The OP wants guys to advertise "for local pickup" items only in local swap sheets? Does he actually think a local swap sheet or website exists for most places? Is there an eHam-Boston or QRZ-SiouxCity?

2) Plenty of things are not worth shipping (e.g. large HF antennas). The disassembly, packing and shipping investment would probably make it more worthwhile to buy new. These are perfect items for "local pickup only". Try figuring out how to pack a used Hygain TH11DX, or asking a UPS guy to lift a piece of Rohn 45 into his van.  

3) Some quasi-irreplaceable items (like some boat anchors) are too valuable to the seller/buyer community to risk in the back of a FedEx/UPS truck. Maybe not to you, but to them.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: