Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu SU-1  (Read 3624 times)
ALLENCB

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:50:12 AM »

Is this thing worthwhile?  It seems like a neat gadget to add to my VX-7R, but I have read one comment about it not being very accurate due to the weatherproofing of the VX-7R.  I haven't read much else about it.  I think it would be neat to have for camping, hunting, and other outdoor activities.  It's certainly not very expensive at $37.

Chris
KI4POT
KB1FZA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:21:58 PM »

I have it in my VX-5R. It is not an accurate device, not only because of the waterproofing, but also because of its design. It's more like a toy to play with. To calibrate the unit you have to be at known altitude and you have to use a calibrated barometer. I ususally go to the local airport, tune to their Automated Weather system get the barometric pressure then using my Palm PDA convert the pressure to the right units and calibrate the unit. I use my GPS to determine the altitude or you can get it from internet for the particular airport to calibrate the altimeter.
The altimeter provided by SU-1 is more or less useless tho.
KC2YSO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »

..... junk, junk, garbage and junk.

Nothing more, nothing less.   Sad
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »

The SU-1 shares the faults of ALL barometers, they ALWAYS need to be set.
The reason for this is "Density Altitude" where the air temp and humidity as well as the barometric pressure shifts to provide changing readings.
By observing actual aircraft barometers that were removed to make way for glass cockpits and calibrating everything I have discovered that the SU-1 is not all that far off, not saying much though.
However, even a cheap GPS unit will give FAR better readings on altitude.
Release pressure on the battery latch of the VX-7(r) prior to a reading, battery need not be removed, and you will have the most accurate reading, but for an altimeter based on a barometer that is not saying much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: