Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice to women interested in Ham radio...  (Read 2103 times)
KI4CFS

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »

Advice to women interested in Ham radio...

I want to write an article here about women in ham radio to encourage more to join. I can not tell you what it means to me personally that my wife made the effort to read the book and pass the test. She did it just for me and that is true love Smiley She does not talk a lot but does keep up with the lives of all the local hams. And pokes me in the side when I make a mistake (in a loving way, which I enjoy).

I want to here from women in ham radio about YOUR experiences and advice to new women that may get interested. Why considerate? What has it done to enhance relationships? How has it helped in emergencies? What should they know in advance?

Thanks for joining me in this discussion!

Martin Brossman
KI4CFS and my wife Barbara Carr Brossman KI4GMU
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:32:19 PM »

My wife (KC2OYY) got her tech ticket last year december as a surprise for me.  She has encouraged me to get more active into HF.  She has a greater appreciation for the hobby now that she has a license, and is going for her general and maybe extra soon.  
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »

Would you mind asking her what made her decide to get into it and what does she enjoy about it?

Thanks for posting
KI4CFS
Martin
W6WBJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 06:31:38 AM »

I don't have a wife any longer, and am I ever glad!  I simply no longer have any interest at all in satisfying womens' expectations about how I should feel or behave.  I want to be myself, and it is impossible to do so when, every time you want to be yourself or be spontaneous, you have to worry about what your wife or girlfriend is going to think about it.  Let's face it, men and women have entirely different agendas, and I have no interest in dealing with womens' agendas anymore.  If I ever DID again become interested in keeping a woman happy, I think I would instead go to the pet store, buy a 130-lb. talking leech, and attach one end to my abdominal wall.  It would be about the same as having a wife or girlfriend, but it would be much more honest.  No game playing.  No pretending that the woman really likes me when she really just wants a meal ticket and an Escalade.  Why don't you guys just quit worrying about what women want, or whether  they are going to become a ham, and simply do what YOU want to do?  You know, the sex is not really that important in the overall scheme of things.  The real reason you want a woman so badly is because you haven't resolved your infantile need for mommy love.  Once you get over those irrational feelings, being single is just fantastic.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:50:04 AM »

Hey, W6WBJ, ..-. ..- !

Advice to women interested in ham radio: a**holes like this guy will just try to drive you out.  One of the 4O3 ops was saying she had to listen to heavy breathing on her transmit frequency!  C'mon!  This hobby contains a bunch of loser freaks that get all worked up when they hear a female voice on the air. Just take a look at this crap:

http://www.eham.net/forums/StationBuilding/2217

A choice quote from AB7JK:
------
NS6Y,

You are not a man. How do I know? You seek the approval of women and too easily defend the honor of one you don't know (K7VO and I go back some).

You are female centered so you see the world through female eyes like your mother who you hated. By hating your mother as a child her spirit took up residence in you displacing your male identity.

In addition to seeking approval of women you have problems with food/weight, substance abuse, and emotional problems. Take a look at yourself.

------

So my advice to women entering ham radio, be prepared for the old bitter s***heads.  If you like the conflict, great.  If you don't, rock the CW or the PSK31 or just build a really, really big station, stacked yagis, full legal limit, so when these freakazoids hear you on SSB you can just stomp on their pathetic asses.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:22:15 AM »

My wife (N5UPT) - who is also my best friend - got her Tech in 1991 after listening to RACES during a severe storm in our area.  After she was licensed, we would chat quite a bit on the local repeater (that was before cell phones were very popular) - just keeping in touch when we were not together.  My daughter (AC5NF) got her Tech when she was 14.  Then she joined a local ham radio Explorer Post (she was the only girl with about 20 boys) and upgraded to Extra when she was 15.  Her ham radio interests led her to pursue an engineering degree (just graduated in May).

Phil - AD5X
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:29:11 PM »

Thanks for the post.. nice story..

Who else?

This is Advice to women interested in Ham radio? Any women out there to answer?

KI4CFS
Martin Brossman
W6WBJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 05:39:39 PM »

Any man who would let a woman gain such power and control over his life is either absolutely crazy or severely deluded.  "My wife is my best friend" indeed!  What B.S.!  Yeah, she'll be your "best friend" so long as you work your butt off to buy her the stuff she wants, follow around behind her like the guy in the circus parade who follows around behind the elephants cleaning up their doo-doo, let her do whatever she wants, and cater to her every whim.  But if you ever stop doing those things, your "best friend" will dump your ass and go after the alimony and child support so fast that you won't know what happened!  If you disagree with the foregoing, you simply don't know what you're talking about, and are destined to be rudely awakened.  Look, the sex simply isn't worth it!
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 07:03:46 PM »

W6WBJ .. I asked women to contribute to this about their experience in ham radio. YOU say you love your life but all I hear a bitter old man that had not take responsibility in how you lost RESPECT for YOURSELF in YOUR FAILED marriage.. What does that have to do with this but show women how there are very wounded men on the Radio as well that don’t take responsibility for their poor choices in life. I did my own, infact I may have been worse than you but I GOT HELP and GOT OVER IT.. thats what a mature man does!!!

Why don’t you actually start your own discussion of “WHY WOMEN will rune your life and how to NOT take responsibility for your own part in the problem”.

I find your posting to my simple questions, insulting, and making men look like little boys that can not get over our wounds. I am man and challeng you to GET OVER it .. If you are sooooo happy just go live your life and drop it! If you really want to help other men, do the work on yourself first. For that takes REAL courage and GUTS!

So mister 'happy life'.. if you are living a great life .. go live it! People who realy in joy their life don't complain about it like you..

One piece of advice for women in Ham Radio is to realize that some men on it (not men) seem to have real unresolve issues with women and just ignor them.
I have not experience that in my area.

More of the men seem mature and are quite polite to anyone that gets on the air to talk.

W6WBJ.. you realy don't look like a guy enjoy your life and hope you find a way to get over this for ONLY you truely lose and your 'X' actually wins for I am sure she may be happy that you keep all that hate inside! She also wins for she got you to stay out of other relationships..

KI4CFS
Tired of the complaining..

KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »

AD5X.. thanks for that.. if you were to give new women advice that are intersted in Ham Radio what would you say?

KI4CFS
W6WBJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »

I would tell them not to get their licenses.  They don't belong in ham radio.  It is a men's hobby.  It requires rational thought, and women are not rational enough.  They're too emotional.  Let them stick to knitting doilies and driving around in their Escalades, buying things with their husbands' credit cards.  Men are entitled to a sanctuary free from womens' influence, and ham radio is an example of such a sanctuary.  All women do is ruin the conversations that the men want to have on the air.  I don't want to have to worry about saying something that might offend a woman.  Let them get their own hobbies and stay out of ours.
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:44:58 PM »

W6WBJ .. so do you just hide behind the web and littl throw rocks out.. I checked out your web site and found you seemed to hide your email.. Also have a bad email in QRZ email as well. I really feel sorry for you. I bet your don't realize that the only one winning here is your 'X' for I bet you are living up to her expectations. If you realized how you are in slaved by your hate of women and no one looses but you, then you may give it up. I am truly sad for your life.

W6WBJ, would you actually let me.. who did nothing to you (until you attacked my questions).. have my conversation and if you want to have your discussion start one about 'how women did...X' or something else. I will post releven comments in your discussion.

I hope you some day find some real freedom. Send me the link to YOUR discussion on this topic and I will contribute to it but don't trash me for asking an honest question.

I actually agree there is value in man having hobbies that they can connect with other men on but I get to do that with women around. I and another friend Scott that I met on 2meter helped me put up a 6 meter antenna. We have a great time figuring it out. He is new to ham and I don’t know that much. We had ‘guy type’ conversation that may not be something I would say in mixed company. Told some jokes.. enjoyed discussion of technical stuff. But public airways are not open to just men. If you had a daughter you care about and she wanted to be a ham would you tell her .. NO that is a Man’s thing?  

Would you please leave this discussion and create your own instead of just trying to RAM your own opinion down a discussion thats not related to it. I am sure you did not like it when your former wife did stuff like that? Why be like her?

You show up as just an angry man that does not have the courage to face his own wounds. I use to be like that and it was not a "great life" to live.

KI4CFS

W6WBJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 03:50:35 AM »

I'm just telling you the truth, Martin.  Too bad you are too defensive to accept it.  Women suck the oxygen out of every conversation that men have.  Men don't have to include women in all of their activities.  Men are entitled to have some activities that are exclusively male.  Women have lots of activities from which they exclude men, so why isn't it OK for men to do the same?  Of course women do have the right to get their ham radio licenses, but that doesn't mean I have to talk to them.  Now I know I am overgeneralizing.  There are some women who are really cool, and I am glad to talk to them.  Trish, K4ZE, is an example of such a woman.  But generally speaking, women are much too prissy and easily offended for me to feel comfortable including them in my QSOs.  And I have NEVER tried to hide my email address!  It appears prominently on my website.  It's: bcrowell(at)excite.com.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 05:45:46 AM »

"if you were to give new women advice that are interested in Ham Radio what would you say?"

I'd say that it is a fun hobby, and something that can be shared with your spouse.  Probably the biggest problem is getting someone, man or woman, interested in ham radio.  Once the interest is there, then things become easier.  In my case, the RACES monitoring is what got my wife interested.  Then she started going to club meetings with me (we had several other women in the club).  Anyway, it gave us a common hobby to share.  She continues to go with me to meetings, especially when I'm giving talks at different clubs (which I do fairly frequently).  My daughter's interest just occured over time probably just watching me play with my radios, and then seeing me and my wife chatting with each other on the repeater.  When she joined the Explorer Post, I think it became a competitive thing to upgrade (that was the case for many of the ham Explorers).  She was an active CW operator until she started college.  Now she's getting back into it, since she works for a company with an active ham club.  

You can see some pictures of the three of us on my website at www.ad5x.com.

Phil - AD5X
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 06:46:25 AM »

W6WBJ.. I made you your own place to discuss this..

http://www.eham.net/forums/Misc/4396

please go their and do so..

You just show up as a man that is so wounded about women you are too scared to look at it. As a man that hates women. If you have not notice their is room for you to talk to only men on the air and not women. Also it is a public space not your house or a private place. You must not have any daughters.

AND stop being such a jerk in my topic area .. a women would respect the topic as would a health mature man!

If you enjoy showing the world how wounded you are than keep going.. the reflection is on YOU.

Look forward to your posting on YOUR OWN area!! Just for you .. all about YOU...

KI4CFS

So one comment for women is their are some very wounded men that don't like women on the air ways and my advice is just see them as what they are. A person that let someone abuse in the past them and did not get it resolves. But their is another point that is actually related to him. That their are less places for just men to talk to other men in society and that hurts men and women. It is not about excluding women but men don't take the time to develop healthy male friends any more. This makes us either like this guy .. angry at women or who he seemed to be in his past a doormat in his relationship. Stuck between two extremes. Keep his wound in tack by convincing himself that his view is the only truth. But that is a different topic.

A public place like Ham radio is not an ok place to exclude any one that honors the rules.

W6WBJ.. look forward to your words in  YOUR own posting made just for you!

Back to MY question..

What advice would you give to women interested in Ham Radio..

Are their any women that comment?
KI4CFS
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: