Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice to women interested in Ham radio...  (Read 2351 times)
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 06:47:55 AM »

Phil - AD5X

Thanks Phil.. for letting me know about what worked.

Advice to women interested in Ham Radio?

KI4CFS
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »

I would give simple advice to women as follows:

1.  If a family member wants you to try it, give it a whirl.  You just might find you like it.  My husband "dragged" me to a class with him and it was great.  I went all the way to Extra and thanked him for nagging me to go to that first class with him.

2. Ignore any idiots you might come across.  While they are few and far between, they exist in every activity and make their presence known.  Thus there appears to be more of them than there really are because they are so obnoxious.

3.  Try out different activities in the hobby.  One might be of greater interest than another.
W6WBJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »

Martin, quit accusing me of being off-topic.  I'm right on topic, but you just don't want to discuss the issues I'm raising because you want to pretend that male/female relationships are all peachy-keen.  What bullshit.

My question is, WHY WOULD YOU CARE whether or not more women get involved in ham radio?  If they are interested in radio and electronics, maybe they will want to get involved; that's fine.  But if they aren't interested, why would you want to bring more women into the hobby when they aren't going to contribute a damned thing, and all they're going to do is put a wet blanket on all the fun QSOs that male hams like to have?  Why are you pushing this agenda?  Are you trying to score brownie points with your wife or something?  Is this how you try to convince her to make love to you - by being a "sensitive" male?  Look, Martin, I already told you, the sex just isn't worth it!  Why don't you try to get in touch with the man you would be if you weren't constantly going around worried that your wife won't have sex with you?  Get a clue, man!  Get in touch with your real feelings, not the feelings your wife wants you to have!!  And, while you're at it, learn grammar and spelling, will you?  If you write another one of your illiterate replies, I'm going to be forced to respond with a "Martin translation guide", and believe me, you won't like it!
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »

W6WBJ you sad man. So if I am not hating women like you than I am trying to ‘seek their approval’, wow you really need serious help! I would say that posting a note in a group of mostly men asking a questions like this is a poor way to get approval! Were you addicted to something in the past, you sound like a man that just barely got through AA. You act like a 'dry drunk' who need to go to extremes for he can not understand anything in between (we have leaders like that). As a mater of fact I have sever dyslexia and use text to speech to write. If I edited it so you would be happy no expression would come out.. which you may like. I realize how dumb it make me look sometime and that I a price I pay for expressing myself. It is like a deaf person not speaking for their words sound funny.

If you want to make fun of my learning challenge go for it. It just make you more like an a$$ Do you also kick dogs for fun?

I don't hate women like you and I don't need their approval to be whole. I did at one point. I do enjoy diversity, in gender, in race, in color. I enjoy and have many male friends that I like to just hang out with (do you?.. I doubt that if you act this way around anyone) . I think it is very important for my wellbeing to just be with men at time. If I don’t I get out of balance like you accuse me of being.  It adds richness to my life (something you don't seem to be able to understand for you stuck in 'if you don't hate women you must be seeking their approval like a puppy dog.) I actually understand the concept way better than you do ..

I see their is not hope for you taking any responsibility for you own part so I will just say..

"W6WBJ how did I get through life with our your divine knowledge. you are sooo smart.."  Feel better BIG MAN? Remember if you hate something enough you will become just like it.. make sure to avoid mirror in your house!

Their is a place in between that you can see and I say you are scared to look.

Let talk on the phone for this lacks so much.. I emailed you.

Thanks for the good argument..

KI4CFS

Ps. If you would like to edite and repost my note do so but in the discussion group I made just for you.. for it is all about YOU is it not?
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »

KI4CFS wrote:
> Would you mind asking her what made her decide to
> get into it and what does she enjoy about it?

> Thanks for posting
> KI4CFS
> Martin

She joined initially because she wanted to take part in emcomm and public service activities with me.  But after that she became more interested in the other aspects of the hobby.  She's also interested in collecting and restoring tube type radios.

She's a tech but working on her general and extra.  She helps me log while mobile (I drive/talk, she logs).  She's reading basic electronics books and asks me to explain stuff to her.

She enjoys hearing me talk to DX stations, also rag chewing on HF.  When she gets HF privileges she'll enjoy talking to them as well.  She also enjoys club meetings at NJDXA because the members give interesting presentations about DXpeditions they've been to.  She also enjoys getting and helping me send QSL cards.  She always looks forward to getting cards.

At Dayton 06 I introduced her to YLRL to show her that there's a club for ladies too, and it's not just an "all guy" thing.  She has also met our local ARRL vice director, Joyce Birmingham KA2ANF and she has lots of positive things to say about her.  

But right now she needs to get the code down (she practices on the train on the way to work) and the general theory.  Before the end of the summer she'll be a General.  That's a goal we set.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 02:36:47 PM »

One more thing - her attraction to the hobby has since changed and grown since she got her license.

Getting her license wasn't so much that she could get on the air, but more so that she could get involved in ham activities in general.  It's amazing how things completely change when you have a callsign.  I never knew she was so interested in electronics and radio until she got her license.  It was then that I decided that I should help this interest grow.

It has become a very good "together" activity for us.  Every evening we try to get at least one or two DX contacts.  She keeps my logbook on the PC and keeps track of my QSLs.  She asks why I do this and that a certain way (eg. why I tune off frequency a few kHz then QSY back).  We also drive somewhere and try to make some contacts almost every weekend (that I'm not working).  

It has done wonders for our "together" time that I wonder what the heck we were doing together before she got licensed.  
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »

That is wonderful how you and your wife connect in Ham radio.

That give me as much hope as for ham radio to make up with the sadness of someone like W6WBJ.

KI4CFS..
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »

This is NOT from N7NBB, but his wife, Dawn, AD7MT.  I wanted to tell you how I got involved in amateur radio, being 39 and having held a license since 1998.

I first got involved when my husband and I were "dating". I got into his car and he'd turn on the radio (which I am ashamed to say I thought might be a CB radio, but quickly found NO foul language or bUttheads!)  As I listened (and answered questions about myself on the air) I was told by several males how nice a voice I had and how I should get my ticket.

I learned about the world of emergency communications and remembered how in 1989 all the phones in our city went down.  NO ONE COULD CALL ANYONE - and that was so cool - I wanted to help out but didn't know how I could have in 1989 - but if I'd had my license I could have and would have in a heartbeat.

We got in touch with a ham stationed here in and purchased a tech book, which I started studying with enthusiasm, to have my life upturned by the death of my brother and then to have my children move back to live with me. I got my life back in order and started studying again, this time taking tests online - - and having SOOOO much fun doing that!

My fantastic husband would take me to Pizza Hut (or I would take him there) where we'd order a pizza and a pitcher of soda and he'd show me - on paper - why "this was this way" and "that was that way" because I am a hands-on-learner, not really able to work in abstract things. He'd show me his handheld, describe how it worked in there, take me to friend's homes to have them help me understand what SSB sounds like in comparason to FM and how to get the math correct. After I remembered the algebra I wanted so badly to forget in high school, I finally got it!

BUT... then the bug bit hard.  I worked W7A - the opening of the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center - and almost talked to the Czech Republic (no 3rd party contact agreement, but I have relatives from there so it would have been SO COOL!) After that I studied daily, agreeing I would not take my written test until I got 90% or better on the online tests.

I was SO determined to pass my tech license so I could get on the air and help out in ARES (I was a paramedic at the time) and I ended up becoming an AEC as soon as I had my amateur license! I was psyched!

UNFORTUNATELY, there is the "good ol' boy" mentality here (many hams are waiting for him to leave the club) and then I will be able to put the ARRL level 3 EC course into action. The only other person who has taken the course had a severe stroke. We need someone who is familiar with the course of Emergency Communications here, and I am.

I had participated in the NTS as a Montana Net Control and a local ARES net control, as well as net control for many other activities.  I "ALLOW" my man to go play with the guys as often as possible (he needs to get away from the kids, too!) Some of the best times we've had have been going to Hamfests, Field Days, Special Event stations and other "Ham & Wife" activities.  Here, we need amateur radio to communicate, as cell phones don't always work when we are on the highway.  I have participated as a contact when people have needed help and I was their only contact with access to a phone.

I guess, after my history in ham radio, I'd suggest you take your YF with you to special event stations (ask her help in logging, then have her take the mic!) or field day (do the same thing!) and explain to her MANY (not all) men gravitate to a woman's voice because it is so easy to pull out of the hash.  Encourage her to talk because it will "help you get points" or whatever.  The aggressive part of her may come out beyond mic shyness and you can get the bug to bite her too.

I am very proud I hold an Extra class license! Back in high school I wanted to take electronics but my mother actually said, "That is a BOYS course." I wasn't allowed.  I have not let her forget that - especially since I hold a higher license class than my husband!  He will get his extra class license, but in his own time.  He didn't ever push me and I won't ever push him.  I do (VERY RARELY) give him a good natured jab about being able to "work THOSE bands that YOU can't work!"

Good luck to you and your YF.  She is lucky to have you and I am oh-so-lucky to have my husband.  I learn something from him every time we work on a project together. - - EVEN SOLDERING ANTENNA PIECES - - something that brings us closer in proximity will bring us closer!

Dawn, AD7MT
PROUD WIFE of
Cam, N7NBB
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »

Dawn, AD7NT.. thanks so much for posting what you got you interested in ham radio!

Any other advice to women interested in Ham radio?

KI4CFS
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 05:00:44 PM »

"-Any man who would let a woman gain such power and control over his life is either absolutely crazy or severely deluded. "My wife is my best friend" indeed! What B.S.! Yeah, she'll be your "best friend" so long as you work your butt off to buy her the stuff she wants, follow around behind her like the guy in the circus parade who follows around behind the elephants cleaning up their doo-doo, let her do whatever she wants, and cater to her every whim."

Sounds like you just don't know how to plain treat a lady with respect. Both my wife and I work full time, have been married 16 years, together for 22 and she has no more control over me than I do her. Our marriage works because we respect each other, she is free to buy what she wants and I don't question it, because my radio purchases more than triple anthing she would buy. Just because you obvioulsy lacked the respect to make your marriage work doesn't mean wives are evil. You sound like a very unhappy lonely old man. I pity you.

... and the sex isn't that bad either.
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »

VE3TMT .. thanks for your contribution.

Also,.. what is your advice to women interested in Ham radio?

KI4CFS
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 04:13:02 AM »

I have no trouble at all with women on the air. As for it being a "man's hobby", quite possibly that is what the numbers would say, but I think that is due to the nature of the hobby. If more women were interested in electronics then the number of female amateurs would most likely increase. I say they're welcome to it.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »

It just hit me!  How about WOTA, Women on the Air. If the scouts can do it why not the xyl's? Think of the brownie points we'd score! My wife can't sit still for 10 minutes so I doubt she would participate but I think the idea is a good one.

Max VE3TMT
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 10:47:10 AM »

Dawn here again, AD7MT...

I think WOTA is a GREAT idea!  I know this will open up "wimmin' can't keep their trap shut once their gums start-a-flappin' " but I really think it's a great idea :-)

I could see this happening at Field Day - the "LADIES ONLY" station - the MEN can only log!

The way I see it - - and feel it - - and stated it not quite this way in my last post, something that brings you and your YF (I dislike XYL because age is a state of mind!) in CLOSER proximity to each other is probably going to bring you closer emotionally - give you talking points, an extra person to bounce things off, etc.

Women On The Air.  Great idea!

73 de AD7MT - Dawn
Cam's YF
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 04:22:16 PM »

Thanks Dawn AD7MT for your responce... If you have any more input for women interested in Ham Radio I would enjoy hearing it..

Thanks
KI4CFS
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: