Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When does ham radio become an addiction?  (Read 1473 times)
KI4CFS

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:36:17 AM »

When is ham radio an constructive hobby and when is it an addiction?

Thought I would have fun with another discussion..
KI4CFS
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 06:11:00 AM »

When it becomes the center of your universe -

or you spend all your time on line starting discussions about it. <g>

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:28:39 AM »

When you suffer withdrawal when you can't get on the air.
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »

I hope to make this fun and informative.

KI4CFS
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »

Maybe when you post questions like this? Smiley

KI4CFS
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 08:23:56 AM »

I, for one feel that I am in full control and am not addicted. My XYL would differ just because she is not interested in radio. Here are her weak arguments to support the opinion that I am addicted:

1. Gets up at 03:00 AM for a DX sched on 75 meters.

2. Net control every Wednesday evening and checks in every day of the week.

3. Radios in the airplane, his car and even my car!

4. Back yard looks like Frankenstein's lab.

5. Friends keep asking why the roof is full of aluminum tubes and wire.

6. Calls people on the phone and talks about passing radiograms (is that an ailment?).

From WW5AA's XYL;

"To all you HAM's, show this to your XYL. I'd still Rather have him in the "SHACK" with all the funny noises coming out of the speakers than down at the pool hall"

So as you can see, I am not addicted to HAM radio, no way.

73, de WW5AA
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:21:26 PM »

I would say when you us it to avoid your family or basic agreements.

KI4CFS
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 02:51:17 PM »

Right.  I don't think any hobby is worth ignoring your family for.

I have two major hobbies - ham radio and photography.  But none get in the way of family time.  About the only thing that gets in the way of family life is work.
KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »

Where it the line between being passionate about a hobby, like ham radio, and it being a addiction?

KI4CFS
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 05:23:45 PM »

hi

when you notice that the wife and kids have left you,

you place a personal ad something like this,

divorced male, hardcore ham radio operator,
secure job, seeks female ham operator

send pictures of radios, amplifiers, towers and antenna farm.

73 james
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »

> Where it the line between being passionate about a hobby, like ham radio, and it being a addiction?

When you have to get your fix at all costs and ignore the more important things in your life such as your job, your family and your health.
KA8SYX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »

Hi, great question.  I was actually thinking about something along the same lines, but maybe from the opposite direction.  My XYL and I have a 10 month-old son, and we've been married for just over two years.  This is a second marriage for us both, and neither of us had children in our firsts, so, getting older we figured that if we were going to raise a family we had better do it soon.  Getting to my point, since my son was born, I can count the number of times I've been able to get on the air or build an antenna or do something "hammy" on, okay, my two hands.  On the average day, I wind up online at places like eHam.net for a little while, reading about what all you other guys (and gals, too!) are doing and basically pining away about ham radio.  My XYL, who I love in ways and for reasons I cannot begin to describe, sympathizes, but being totally uninterested in ham radio thinks that I am over-reacting and that I should be able to get my fix in 15 minutes a day.  She doesn't understand that it can take much longer than that just to listen long enough to tell with any confidence whether the band you're trying to work will be open.  For that matter, I've never had the time to actually shoot for working into a certain area or anything so calculated; I've always just taken what I could get.  To make a long story short, I was going to post a new item in which to ask about how you all manage to find meaningful amounts of radio time around the constraints of family and career.  I do not think I'm addicted to amateur radio simply because I jones for it all the time.  I'm jonesin' for it and daydreaming about it all the time because I never get to do it.  Can someone out there reassure me that parenthood will not always eat up my every waking, non-working moment?  And that it is not selfish of me to ask this?
Thanks, 73, Ray KA8SYX
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »

When does ham radio become an addiction?

KE4DRN wrote, "when you notice that the wife and kids have left you"

The real answer is when you DON'T notice that your wife and kids have left you!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 03:48:45 PM »

<< I was going to post a new item in which to ask about how you all manage to find meaningful amounts of radio time around the constraints of family and career.>>

Welcome to the world of "how do I fit everything in?"

I would love to tell you I have the ultimate solution, but I don't This is a major problem for families with small children. The ultimate solution really doesn't happen until the kids are gone and you have more time on your hands, like me. I spend many of my evenings in the shack doing my thing while my wife of 39 years does her things elsewhere in the house. We work in the same office building so we see each other almost constantly. Consequently, we don't have the "what did you do today, darling?" conversations to deal with.

The best I can tell you is to set aside one evening for yourself - the whole evening - and take that time religiously. She deals with the baby, she deals with the problems, etc. The make sure SHE has a similar evening all to herself - assuming she's not nursing the baby! Smiley

That's the way we have done things over the years and it has worked well for us. Of course, things interfer occasionally as the kids get older and school events intrude, but if you are willing to work at it, you CAN find the time to play radio. It DOES take the wife's cooperation. If she's not willing, then I don't know.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 12:55:34 AM »

When you are ecstatic about getting a 200 or 300 watt soldering iron to do up PL 259s the RIGHT way--And, your wife asks you what its doing in your bed.

When sun spots are more exciting than your XYL's G-spot.

When your reaction to a solar flair bringing down the entire electric grid for the North East is that the bands will tank for a week or more.

When you look forward to the Super Bowel, cause there won't be a lot of QRM.

When you look at a full moon and wonder how much antenna gain you'd need.

When you know what the second foreign country is above ME.

When you know Antarctica is a continent.

When you know penguins range as far north as the Galapagos Islands.

When you think ceramics classes teach how to make antenna insulators.

When someone mentions post and beam construction and you envision a tower with a tribander on top.

When you are board, you tap out CQ.

When you call Dish or Directv CSRs, and you know they don't have a clue about what they are telling you.

When someone asks for directions, you pause, wondering if long or short path would be best.

When you can look at globe and be able to point to your antipode (when you know what an antipode is).

When you can name three countries completely surround by Italy.

When you know how many ports are on Pitcairn Island, what the most common last name is there, and why it is the most common last name.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: