Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't people QSL?  (Read 1111 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2006, 10:56:12 PM »

What's the deal? I send QSL cards to stateside contacts and always include an SASE to make it easy to return a card but half these buggers never reply!

What gives? Should I keep sending an SASE? Seems like a waste of money for nothing...

Mike N6HBJ
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »

Mike,

don't give up. After I send out QSL cards, it's taken
as much as 4 years to get a reply card (stateside too).
Usually if I don't get a reply within a month or so,
I'll drop an email reminder.

George ...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:12:57 AM »

I recently got a card for a stateside contact from a year ago.  In spite of the lack of immediacy of paper QSLs, i will still use them in preference to LOTW or eQSL.

Dennis KG4RUL
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:47:53 AM »

How long of a wait has it been?

Personally, during the summer I'm so busy with outdoor projects, I don't have time to QSL.  Once it gets dark out, then I'll catch up.  General rule of thumb based on my experience is as follows:

Stateside w/o SASE = 99% never
Stateside w SASE = 6 months - 1 year

DX w/SAE & Grn Stmp = 1 year
DX via Buro = 6 months - 4 years

You have to be patient for QSLing. Some guys are very quick and others are not.

Phil  KB9CRY
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 06:52:37 AM »

Mike,

Instead of just sending out a card to every station, why not ask during the QSO if they QSL? Virtually everyone that doesn't will tell quickly you so.

Save yourself some time, cards and postage.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

PS - and as the others have said - be patient!

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 04:00:42 PM »

I reply 100% to all cards received, and many do.  And many don't.

An SASE for Stateside contacts is a bit much.  I think if somebody QSLs, they probably have 39 cents.  An SAE (envelope only, not including postage) is a very nice touch, though, and I always appreciate that.

I send SAE + $2-$3 US for much needed DX contacts (new entities), and other than that all DX QSLs go via the bureau.  I don't send out any domestic cards at all, but do always reply.

It is true that many DX cards take years to arrive.  I receive domestic cards usually within 6 months of the contact.  My personal reply time is normally within one day, unless I'm away on a trip, in which case it's within one day of my return.

WB2WIK/6
KD7QXO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »

I checked over my logbook and found that most (90%) have replied.  If it is a station in a state that I really want, one thing that I often do is to send a quick e-mail letting the new contact know that I enjoyed the QSO and I am sending a QSL.  If the person does not answer, I don't expect much. Maybe the person is just not interested in collecting QSL cards, can't afford it or already has about million of them and doesn't need anymore.  

If I do get an answer, I get that card out right away.  I write a couple of sentences talking about the exchange and cross my fingers. Good luck.  

Rod, Kd7qxo
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:35:23 AM »

If we qso and you qsl me, you will get my card in a few days. If you send a sase, you will get it back in the same envelope.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »

I prefer to use envelopes even for domestic cards. The primary reason?

The automated cancellation machines at the USPS will often shred or mangle the lighter weight cards. The heavy stock, such as Wimpy uses, holds up pretty well, but not the thinner stock that other printers use (I, too, use one of the "other printers").

A second reason is the skid marks on just about all cards from the dirty rollers in the machines.

I, too, QSL 100 percent on received cards. I generally only send cards if it's a station or QTH that I really want for some reason.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, MD

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 09:40:45 PM »

For some I think it is just rudeness. Others may not be interested. I am still getting QSL cards for the 70s & 80s. I still keep my paper logbooks so I can confirm or deny the contact. I QSL 100% and will return a stamp if someone has sent me one from the US. I figure I can afford the stamp if I can afford this hobby.
Frank
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:44:05 AM »

You are right about the automatic cancelling machines. I just received a domestic QSL sent as a post-card. Was mangled and inked-up from the cancelling process.

Mine will go in an envelope.
KB9ASC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »

I just had a guy use my SASE TO SEND MY CARD back to me with a post-it on that said (I'M ONLY COLLECTING 5 LAND SORRY MAYBE NEXT TIME)
I'M still scratching my head over that one!!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:25:48 PM »

That's pathetic.

I've had a few cases where I sent cards direct with cash for the return postage and the cards came back via the bureau.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »

I used to feel the same way but I was talking with a fellow a while back and he brought up an interesting point.  Some people can't afford the QSL cards and the postage on top of that.  I can understand why some do not QSL.  I used cheapqsl's for my supplier and even though they are a good price things get a little pricey after envelopes and 2x postage.  I have recently started using photoshop and walmart for my QSL's, ha.  

Although if I didn't send out QSL cards and I received one with a SASE I would at least feel compelled to send a note or something similar confirming the contact.  I also think it would be really neat to get a hand drawn QSL card, I have seen pictures of hams collections on the net.  Pretty neat stuff, seems like that was more prevalent in the past.

Jim
K5CQB
AI2IA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

Among the many things I do in ham radio, I am a devoted ragchewer. Because of this I always send a QSL card. It is my way of saying two things: one - you are important, and two - thanks for taking the time to QSO with me. About a third of the time I get nothing back. When that happens, I don't speculate on the reason. I do know that a few folks either don't have a card or are too old to afford one, or think that their card is too old or old fashioned.

My two best QSL cards are these: one is a very old card, yellowed around the edges but sent just a a few months ago from a real old timer. The other is a homemade card written and drawn on a postcard in a shaky hand by an exceedingly old gentleman. I value these cards more than these guys will ever know. So, whatever the reason, I turn mine loose and let it fly. If one comes back to me, I'm happy, and it one doesn't, well, I'm happy that ham got one from me.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: