Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't people QSL?  (Read 1100 times)
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 11:21:33 AM »

Some amateurs just aren't interested in QSLs. They don't collect them and they don't have one of their own. With postage costing what it does, QSLing every station worked could get very expensive for active operators.

Me, I usually send a QSL to every new station I work, by direct mail. I'm just a casual operator, so the postage cost isn't very high. I seldom send SASEs to domestic (US or Canadian) stations; I like getting cards back but it isn't all that important to me. Nevertheless I do get a lot of cards in return. I haven't tallied my success rate, but my impression is that it's somewhere around a 2/3 return rate.

On the rare occasion when I work a DX station, I do send an addressed envelope and return postage, since I'm more keen on getting a reply.

I also use eQSL sometimes. Some hams that don't QSL by mail do eQSL. These cards don't count for awards, but if you just want the card as a memento of a QSO, they're fine. I print them out and add them to my box of QSL cards.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 11:43:26 AM »

K5CQB wrote:

>I used to feel the same way but I was talking with a
>fellow a while back and he brought up an interesting
>point. Some people can't afford the QSL cards and
>the postage on top of that. I can understand why
>some do not QSL. I used cheapqsl's for my supplier
>and even though they are a good price things get a
>little pricey after envelopes and 2x postage. I have
>recently started using photoshop and walmart for my
>QSL's, ha.
>
>Although if I didn't send out QSL cards and I
>received one with a SASE I would at least feel
>compelled to send a note or something similar
>confirming the contact. I also think it would be
>really neat to get a hand drawn QSL card, I have
>seen pictures of hams collections on the net. Pretty
>neat stuff, seems like that was more prevalent in
>the past.

I've received everything from full glossy photo folded cards, to those printed on regular paper with an inkjet printer, to one that looked like it was pieced together and copied on a copy machine.  The card from the copy machine was received from a ham in Guyana. His callsign was 8R1AK.  I really didn't care that the card wasn't the prettiest out of the lot, but it was important that he replied to the card I sent and didn't pocket the GS. More importantly, his card had all the info for DXCC and IOTA.  

I really don't care what you send, as long as you send something.

The cost issue shouldn't be any issue at all.  There is always a way to make a cheap QSL, and sometimes those cards are the best out of all of them, especially from rare DX and even from stateside.  

You don't have to pay big buck$$ from the "qsl men" out there.  Just a home printed or hand drawn card will do!  And even if you want to go fancy, there are cheap QSL printers like UX5UO who will give you a pretty card for a rock bottom price.  My last set of 1000 cards came from UX5UO and they're a real beauty and cost me $68 for 1000.  Can't beat that price!!  Of course I designed the card myself and took the pics myself too.

I mostly answer CQ's.  That should mean that the person who called CQ should be courteous enough to reply to my card I send.  At least in theory.  I've gotten back a pretty decent response rate for both stateside and DX, but I bend over backwards - I put a SASE, even for foreign countries (with DX postage from William J Plum).  More interesting are the notes I get on the back of some cards - some bring back memories of the contact itself.  Two in particular come to mind - one when I was having a QSO with a ham in wales while waiting for my XYL in the train station parking lot, and another ham saw the antenna on the car and came over to say hi.  The other was where the condx were so bad that I barely got the exchange and the QSO in.  The guy wrote on the back of the card that he is getting a better antenna and he promises he'll make the QSO again.  

So friends, it is NOT about the QSL itself, but please, send something!  Even if it's the contact's info scribbled on a piece of scrap paper, that will do!
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 11:07:45 AM »

I QSL all new contacts & a few older ones if the QSO is particularly memorable, or a new band for the other op. Unless sending to a FISTS member (then I use the FISTS bureau) I generally mail as a postcard for US, and send SAE and $2 for DX. My over all return rate hovers around 70%.

I do have one of Steve's (WB2WIK/6) cards, but one of my favorites was handwritten on notebook paper from a just-returned US ham who thanked me for 'inspiring' him in his first CW QSO. That one means a lot ...

Jim
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: