Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't you hate it when... (revised)  (Read 564 times)
AC0DV

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »

I have a confession to make. I'm embarrased.

I was talking to several 20M/17M contacts today... and I didn't get a lot of DX answering me... only a few contacts... I couldn't seem to 'break through'. I felt like nobody was hearing me. I chalked it up to the bands.

Then a few minutes ago... while talking to a really close contact... I realized that he could barely hear me... so I double checked the SWR meter.

Seems I was transmitting with 1 watt of power.

(And it's been that way for a few weeks... I was messing with low power testing a few weeks ago...back the end of last month when I made a topic similar to this one.)

<embarrassed blush>

That's what happens when you run an antenna with a low SWR and you don't keep a close eye on the external watt meter in the antenna tuner... since it's in bypass mode.

On the OTHER hand... I did make a few contacts this last month... so I guess that shows that I've got things somewhat working correctly... especially if I can talk to Australia with 1 watt.

That does seem to show that my DX antenna is burning hot.

Next week I'm putting my full wave 80M loop skywire back up... that should fill in where my vertical DX antenna falls short.

Oh... and of course... I'll keep an eyeball on the power level.

73, Keith AC0DV
AC0DV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »

When I hit "tune" it changes the power to 10 watts and puts out a signal.

This usually DROPS the power.

BUT if the rig set at 1 watt.. it RAISES the power...

The SWR meter shows power and the meters move correctly.

Oh.. they ARE working correctly... for QRP.

<insert maniacal laugh>
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »

You check your output power every few weeks?

I have a PEP wattmeter with illuminated dual 2-1/2" meters staring right at me when I'm operating.  I think I'd notice if something changed within about a minute or so...
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »

And people say life is too short for QRP.......
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »

Same here, I'm always looking at my output power meter, as well as the SWR meter between the rig and the amp, as well as the ALC meter when on SSB.  

Kind of like scanning your dials when driving or flying; I don't really look at the numbers but I know where the needles' positions should be.  Anything odd alerts me to something that's wrong.

Phil
AC0DV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:07:58 PM »

Generally I also watch the meter on the ATU.

But since my antenna is resonant on most of the bands I'm on... and thus has a nice low SWR... I don't use the tuner a lot anymore... it's in "bypass" mode.

(I have even stopped turning on the ATU's light.)

Oh... I still check for a low SWR every now and again... but the meter looks likes it's working perfectly well during SWR tests because my TUNE test will change the power for the test and then return the power to where you had it after the test.

I guess I'll switch the rig's transmit meter from SWR over to watching power output. (If I had a power amp... this would have been more obvious.)

I still laugh at myself... but wow... I really did okay with 1 watt... after I stop laughing I realize... wow... 1 watt... maybe I should do that more often. (ON PURPOSE THIS TIME.)

--Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: