Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yaesu Radio's  (Read 317 times)
KD5FJV

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:12:22 PM »

Behold, 2 new radio's from Yaesu.

The FT-450, a 160-6m all mode transceiver, and the Amazing new FTM-10R dualband mobile radio with such features as Bluetooth and Stereo reception on FM broadcast.

Read all about it here:

http://blog.big-dutch.com/?cat=7
N0RZT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 07:09:48 AM »

There must be a hidden microphone somewhere in my house!  I was telling my XYL a few months ago that having a bluetooth earmike would be perfect for a mobile radio, especially if you could get a PTT somewhere where you keep your hands (bluetooth PTT button glued to the steering wheel?  Short wire between radio & PTT button to attach button to gear selector?)  I wouldn't want to use a bluetooth earmike with VOX unless I was the only person in the car - too much oppotunity to tell the whole world "no, we're *not* almost there yet."

The photos and the instruction manual scream "prototype" to me - will these be ready for Hamvention?  (I'm sure that's the target date... but I'd rather they be done right than be rushed to market.)

Stereo reception on 3m seems cutesy.  I suppose *having* reception on 3m is no big deal - as long as the receiver has wide enough coverage, turn it into a feature... especially with some people foregoing traditional radios in the cars for satellite radio.  But stereo reception requires circuitry that isn't useful for any other application.  Having stereo speakers is ok - one of my HTs allows for stereo external speakers, putting on band on left and the other band on right.  Line-in is nice - useful for things other than MP3 players, especially if this is also substituting for traditional broadcast-band receivers (hmm... I wonder... would the FTM-10R fit in the dashboard radio slot in cars that were built before the move to integrated radios in cars?).

Chris
N0RZT/8
KD5FJV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 08:12:05 AM »

I'd say it fits into a DIN radio slot, but it's smaller then that. So you would need a bezel. And it may be a bit longer.

It does have a front seperation kit. And there is a PTT button on the front panel, which was kinda odd looking untill I found out it's for the bluetooth headset. So placement if the radio, so it would be in reach, is important. It'll be only a matter of time before someone comes up with a easy placeable PTT button. It may even work on the mic plug?

If you get two headsets, on hooked up to the original microphone plug, you can actually have an intercom feature. Cool for ir your doing a really. HI.

I have no official work if this radio is going to be at the hamvention, we can only hope.

Michael de KD5FJV (Aka Big Dutch)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: