Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about time  (Read 380 times)
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »

This might seem like a silly question for most people here, but those of us in Indiana it is more of a serious question.  With Day Light Saving Time in effect, how does that effect UTC?  Example, for years Indiana has been -5 from UTC, but now that we are under the rules of DST, are we -6 or -4 now?

I'm just wondering for logging purposes.

Thanks in advance and 73s,

Joel
KC9ATJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »

UTC never changes at all.  Your local time does, and therefore the deviation in hours from UTC also does.

If you were -5h before (Standard Time), by advancing the clock forward for Daylight Savings Time you'd now be -4h.

WB2WIK/6
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »

hi,

here is a link to nist for time

http://nist.time.gov/

will you use software or paper log ?
most programs will log in utc.

73 james
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 04:52:44 PM »

Because of this exact possible confusion, I have one of those little MFJ LCD clocks on top of my rig and that's the time I use when I log a Q.  Always in UTC date and time, therefore there is never a question.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »

I have Alpa Clock installed on my computer and it displays the Z time at the top (or where ever you want) of my screen.
Glen WT0A
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »

If you're on EST than it's -0500 (or -5), if you're on EDT then it's -0400 (or -4).

If you go west, to Illinois, say, where you're on CST (or CDT) it's -0600 (or -0500), etc...

UTC is invariant, as others have pointed out, but I think your question was what is your new offset *from* UTC for daylight saving time, not what's the effect on UTC *itself*.
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:03:44 AM »

I just keep a single display digital clock on the operating desk set to UTC. My problem was in keeping track of the UCT date, so I just bought an inexpensive clock with 24-hour and date display  If local is important, I look at my watch!

I was in Scotland in late 60's when the UK went to British Daylight Time - and stayed there. I thought it was weird that no one in the home of the Zulu zone was on Zulu time ...

Anyhow, taking tongue out of cheek and getting serious, your offset only matters if you have to do the conversion. As noted above, UCT doesn't change.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: