Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortwave antenna question  (Read 618 times)
KD8FLL

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »

What kind of antenna do you have on your shortwave radio? I have an RF Systems EMF wire antenna hooked to my Icom IC-R75 radio. I live in an apartment on the third floor. As of now, my wire antenna is strung all over the place, and looks a bit messy. The reception is acceptable, but only for the more powerful stations.

I was wondering if I should try an active antenna and get rid of the wire setup. If so, what kind of active antenna would you recommend? I have a belcony, but I doubt management would allow an outside antenna. My EMF antenna cost $100.

73's,

-Chris
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »

I did not look at the antenna you said you own, but for listening, I doubt an active [aka, amplified] antenna is going to do much for you - I think it would mostly raise your noise floor.

Two things come to mind:

For receiving, you don't need much in the way of wire - a very thin wire will do just fine, so perhaps you can devise some way to get a nice long piece of magnet wire outside to a tree or something - I think that would probably solve about 2/3 your battle, then I'd make sure you have a good ground to work against.

Understand I'm talking like 24 ga or thinner wire, as thin as you can get to stay up for a while - figure it's sort of temporary, but for the price of a 1/2 lb spool of wire, you can make lots of antenna.

One challenge I had on receive was the relatively broad bandwidth so for me a pre-selector helped quite a bit, but I'd try that second.

Hopefully that helps some.

I used the 'around the room at the top of the walls' for a while as well.  Just not going to be as good as wire in the clear.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »

I used to throw a long piece of wire out the window when I lived in a condo.  I'd yank it back in when the radio was not in use.  A wire antenna outside always seemed to work better than an indoor wire for SW listening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: