Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't anyone want to talk !!!!  (Read 2210 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:39:50 AM »

Today I turned on my radio to find virtually  no one about, when I did find someone all they wanted was a 15 second report. Where has the art of conversation gone? I agree when the bands are poor or busy, like 40m, then a 15 second contact is ok but come one we've spent time gaining the license spent the money on the equipment so lets have a conversation not just you're 5-9+ !!

At present my antena won't get to the US or Canada as it's pointing to Europe/Iceland as it's a half size G5RV (which is great contrary to other comments)

I would love to actually have a conversation with someone for longer than 30seconds, ok I did last week which was great in total of my QSO's I've had 4 proper conversations the rest have been just reports.

So if you hear me calling CQ lets have a conversation I don't care were you're from I don't care what equipment you have I want to have a conversation (seems a bit like the introduction of consoles the art of imagination has gone)

Charlotte 2E0BSS
N1QKH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50:23 AM »

Conversation is where you find it. Some of my most memorable QSOs took place during poor band conditions and using a lousy antenna. The trick is to tune around until you find where different groups of people hang out on the bands. The "top" of 75 meters is a very different place than the bottom of 75 meters. The time of day counts for a lot too. Try calling CQ in the early morning when, gray-line propogation is working, and see what you get.

73 de Don N1QKH
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:02:11 AM »

Charlotte, I would suggest that the problem isn't one of wanting to have conversation, but one of being able to do so.  In other words, language.

In how many languages, other than English, are you fluent enough to carry on an actual conversation?

I am always amazed, and grateful, that so many operators world-wide can handle the basics of English, even for just a quick QSO.

73, Jim/k7unz

WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:19:09 AM »

The problem may be your less then common callsign prefix. It is not the usual "G" UK prefix. I don't know if the prefix is well known in Europe, but it is not commonly heard in the US. So people may be assuming you are a rare catch and are working a pileup. Then they'll look up the prefix later.
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »

I agree the 2E callsign is one of the most unusual available. The M3, M0,M1, M5, or G callsign are far easier to use. I'm working on the M0 callsign at present just it's going to take around 9months from when the course starts again.

I don't think the language is a barrier as most other countries speak english.

Charlotte 2E0BSS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »

The "59" report is often exaggerated and the station providing that report to you might barely copy you.  That's one reason for cutting a QSO short.

But don't say "I don't care where you're located," because precisely that information is where most real conversations start.  If someone tells you they're 30 km outside Brussels, don't just let that pass...comment on it: "Oh, I love Brussels!  The last time I was there, we..." <etc> and create a conversation based on data the other station provided.

Most of my "real" ham radio conversations start exactly like that.  "Oh, you're in Bristol?  Wow, I've been there six or seven times to visit the HP plant there.  Drove all the way from Heathrow and it took me some time to get used to driving on the left side of the road, but I got the hang of it.  What's the name of that little pub on Eskdale Road, down from HP?"

Before you know it, a real conversation starts.  I don't leave it to the "other guy," I start it, myself.

WB2WIK/6
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:06:30 AM »

Just remember it still takes TWO people to have a conversation. If either of the parties fails to respond in an enquiring manner, there's not much hope of going anywhere.

You have to be interested in the other person and that encludes everything about them.  The equipment they are using, the area they live in, what thye do with their lives.

FB, I am also using a GR5V, the rig here is a Yaesu 59023MFDX and I have never heard a call like your's.  But don't end it there be curious, Is your call special, if so what is the reason?

If you don't try to keep the chatter going, it will fail, it's almost like the first meeting with a blind date, you can be turned off due to his/her looks and retreat into your shell or make the most of it.

Good luck
Ed wb3ere
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:16:23 AM »

Hi Charlotte,

I would start by listening around for other G's, M's or 2E's, as were all UK we will recognise your call. Mention your location in your CQ (ie CQ CQ this is G7MRV, North East England calling...) a local station might call for a natter. Mention in your call anything special such as if your QRP.

You may still find some of the old snobbery that existed against the novice license (usually from old timers who knew nowt anyway), but most G7's like me will be happy to have a chat

A lot of stations on HF will be going for short QSOs, trying to work as many and as far as they can. Try 80m for a ragchew, or 2m FM will usually get you a chat with your locals

Martin G7MRV

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »

Some of the greatest conversations can be had with people who are relatively local tp you.  I remember thinking the band was dead many times when I called out CQ for a long time and heard no response.  Then one day just for kicks, I started calling out "Breaker bye for a radio check"!  As if out of nowhere, about 10 hams suddenly appeared on the frequency and started yelling at me for using CB lingo!!!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 10:07:38 PM »

sone times on the weekends there will be a contest (or 3) running and thast will be "59 california number 456" or some such, and they are going for max contacts in the contest, but if you answer the will usually explain that it is the XXX contest and the exchanges is YYY and you would be   bla bla bla..so even then you can play a little.

Also if it is a rare dx place like BS7h was last week , it is your call, 59, and qrz?.. again making as many calls as possible"

so sometimes  you just need to find a spot in an open band and holler CQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: