Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Cards.  (Read 1216 times)
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:23:42 PM »

K, who do you guys like for QSL printing?  How many of you make them on their own?  If so what do you use to make them?

Thanks!
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »

dang it, put this in the wrong forum, can one of the admins delete it?
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:07 PM »

WAIT!

don't delete it, i'm just doing 12 things at once and got confused.

phew.....
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »

C'mon guys tell me how you make your own cards!
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:18:47 AM »

I set up a "table" in Microsoft Word that is 2 rows x 2 columns (i.e. four blocks) that are each 3.5" by 5.25".  My printer won't print clear to the edge on the normal setup so I have to leave the margin.  Then I fill in each block with graphics and text to create my card.  Then use card stock to print them on.  Finally I cut them to the standard 3.5 x 5.5 size.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:19:28 AM »

Should have said that I use 8.5 x 11 sheets of card stock.
ROBFINDLAY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »

MS word does it all for you?

I was looking at postcard software, which would do the same.

Isn't there any programs for designing your cards?  you could convert it to jpeg and have wallgreens print it out for you, assuming you only send two or three a year,
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:08:53 AM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  I do all the layout using Microsoft Word.  I position all the graphics, text boxes, text, etc.  It doesn't do these things for me.  However I can tailor the card anyway I want.  While I could use other programs, I don't need to for what I am doing.

My OM likes to use some of his photos.  So we scan them in and then I import and paste the picture to a Word document and proceed from there.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 05:40:24 AM »

W4MPY
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:19:49 AM »

For those homebrewing cards, I wish more would use photo quality printers and the "shiny" card stock.  Unfortunately, that stock is fairly expensive (compared with regular paper) and the "savings" achieved by printing your own, compared with going commercial, is practically nothing.  However, the flexibility to change the card design any time you wish is obviously retained.

Homebrew cards printed on ordinary stock (non photo-quality) with regular jet ink are pretty bland, and the ink fades.

When homebrewing a card, if you ever intend to "mail" the card like a postcard and not in an envelope, remember to never print anything important in the lower 1/4 or so of the card on either side, since that's where the USPO usually bar codes mail and their bar code is very permanent black ink that completly obliterates anything that's printed under it.

WB2WIK/6
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »

Photo stock has a significant problem though (as I and the OM discovered).  You cannot print on the back of it and unless you use a permanent Sharpie marker you cannot write on the back of it.  The best solution that we have found is to use a label stuck to the back that is big enough to write on or make labels with the computer and stick those on.

A minor problem is that the photo stock comes in 4x6 stock.  So you need to print the card allowing an 1/4 inch margin all around and then trim it if you want to use standard envelopes.  That's not a big deal since you have to cut card stock anyway if you make your own cards.
N2JXN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 08:59:21 AM »

Hello does anybody know of a way to print just the address on the QSL card without using an envelope
REMOVED_BY_EHAM_KE4RAZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 09:40:50 PM »

Office supply ask for Avery address labels.

73de Milo W4MLO
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »

w4mpy  the best, and mine are about $55 for a thousand of single color on white, shipped
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: