Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hope this fits here..  (Read 898 times)
W6NZX

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2007, 08:36:18 PM »

This isn't a radio post per'se but more of an observation on popular culture and how HAM radio isn't on the general publics radar.

I'm a big fan of the TV show Jericho, I wont go into the details but it's basically a what-if terrorist-nuked-most-of-the-US post-apocalyptic storyline told from the perspective of one small town.

Here's what I don't get: This town doesn't have a SINGLE HAM! They're totally cut off from the rest of the world and town hasn't got ONE  HAM?  Or even ONE shortwave radio set?  

Seems to me if the country where in as much chaos as depicted HAM radio would be the ONLY way folks would be talking to each other and news would actually get out.

Hell, with a shortwave radio they could listen to BBC World.  

It's amazing how far off the radar screen we are to the fact that even SWL isn't mentioned, on the show they had to wait until they got their hands on a millitary radio.  

Amazing really.

Rob W6NZX
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

What is REALLY shocking is that they don't even have a CB radio!  If something like that ever actually happened, it would most likely be CB that would become the most available communications, as most truckers have them already hooked up in their vehicles and so many thousands of CB units have been manufactured and sold all over the world.
W6NZX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »

This is true, however 11M like 10M is deader than a doornail right now, assuming the show is set in the present.

Whereas a lot the hambands are wide open.

These people are setting in fron of KU band satallite dish twiddling their thumbs.  Where's at least the dang SWL's?

What is sort of ironic is how they even put Morse up on the intro of each show, it's like ehhh HELLO!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:32:02 PM »

Though not as crazy as it was in the '70s and '80s, CB is not really that quiet now.  I guess it depends on where you are, but I travel a lot and find a good deal of CB activity still around major cities as well as many small towns and rural areas.  Of course when the sunspot cycle goes up, the CB band is awash with skip coming in from all directions and creating huge noise levels which limit even the local CB communications.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »

"it would most likely be CB that would become the most available communications,"

Yeah, like in Steven King's  The Stand...

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:26:31 PM »

I have heard that there WAS a ham radio operation on the show "Jericho" So I started watching it recently...    All I have seen is far fetched plots that involve lots of shooting!

(I have "missed" all the early episodes)

Anyhow, In real life, About ALL of those CB radios, Along with most other radios and TV's (Very few hams are properly protected from lightning, Let alone EMP)  will be "smoked" by the EMP of that nearby nuclear blast they show in the credits........

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/emp-terror.htm

W6NZX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:39:08 PM »

Sure there was an EMP, so most HAMS would be blown out of the water, but not ONE SW in a basement shielded from an EMP?

From what I understand of EMP's on older electronics can stand up alot better then newer electronics.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the movie it's from the 70's but its about an old ham who takes in an orhaned kid after a nuclear war and teaches him how to use the radios to try and make contact with anyone left alive.  
KC9JYB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:33:08 PM »

The first episode had a ham operator.

He was a kooky survivalist type of guy with a really long scraggly beard (no kidding).

The police confiscated his radio (an old ICOM tube set) & the FBI guy used CW on it in one of the 1st season episodes to figure out what other cities got nuked.

Duno why they never brought the kooky ham operator back.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:23:30 PM »

OK, picture this:  Nuke war, power grid smashed... NO electricity.  No regular phones, cell phones, internet, TV, cable, broadcast radio, etc.  What's left?  Some hams hopefully with rigs in their vehicles, and a whole load of CB operators with rigs in their vehicles!
K4VVX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 01:01:43 AM »

KJM, Kenneth

Thanks for posting that address. I doubt if 15% of the population knows of the destruction potential of EMP, or even what it is for that matter.  Serious business!!

NZX, Rob

Thanks for asking your question that led to this thread.  This threat is REAL.

73,...Carl.
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »

For anyone interested, I can email a PDF file entitled "The Threat of Radio Frequency Weapons to Critical Infrastructure Facilities", published by the Technical Support Working Group (http://www.tswg.gov) and DoD's Directed Energy Technonlogy Office.

I'll be away from this computer for a few days, but you can email to callsign_at_arrl.net and I'll forward it on my return.

Jim NS5M

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 12:48:23 PM »

http://www.tswg.gov/tswg/ip/RF_Brochure_August_2005.pdf
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »

I doubt it will have any effect on my 45 year old tube Lafayette HE-20C!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 09:37:42 PM »

I know lots of hams including my self that have generators for short term and solar or wind for long term power and I can operate my station ( in a reduced output mode) for ever on the solar into the batteries. also have a packet set up that is also on batteries and can hook into the solar grid.

truth is if the big one hits I would prefer it hits square on my town as I find playing survivor would be a bit of a strain, or " he who has the bigest gun wins.."  been there, done that, got the T shirt.

I don't have any ambiton to play war any more..

but emp may or may not kill everything, basicaly you could build a screen room out of brass screens and ground well and have a good chance of no damage or even if you have a large metal mass between the source and your exact location like say a metal building, it may block the wave in that direction. it is a puklse and follows standard wave behavior.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 04:07:36 AM »

its not always good for us hams to be depicted on TV. Over here in the UK a decade or so ago a long running soap 'brookside' had one guy take up ham radio. They picked the most dim witted cretin on the show to do it! TV people have the same stereotypes of us as the rest of the public, so are no good at getting us a good press.

Incidentally, apart from some mosfet front ends, the electronics most at riskl from EMP are the microprocessor circuits that dominate our lives these days. A good old basic rig from the 80s should stand up well enough. If it were kept in a metal, tight shutting box it will survive (like an ammo case)

Martin G7MRV

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: