Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of etiquette  (Read 518 times)
KC2RVD

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:37 AM »

I have been a Ham operator Since June, and in that short time I have noticed an increase in the lack of "etiquette" on the 2-meter band in my area.  I am hearing increased numbers of people using the designated repeater areas for simplex operation.  I know I am new and do not claim to know everything there is about operating practices, but to me this is a pretty simple concept.  There are plenty of areas to talk simplex, and it only takes a quick turn of the dial to move to a frequency designated for simplex.

Additionally as a new General I have begun using HF.  All I can say is that I have heard similar stuff there.  Unidentified stations interfering with Nets, and other QSOs, People tuning up right on or too close to other operators.  I realize that this will happen occasionally because I propagation conditions, and some people cannot hear certain stations, but what ever happened to "Is this frequency in use this is ...."

Also I was calling CQ last night, and a station called back with out giving there call sign... He kept asking for mine with out identifying , then he faded into the noise.  Isn't the proper procedure to give your call sign when calling other stations.  Granted This has only happened ounce and I am sure it will happen again, but  I always though operating procedures were one of the first things to learn when starting out.  I listened to a lot of QSOs, and read about standard operating procedures before making my first transmissions on both VHF and HF.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:50:53 AM »

"I always though operating procedures were one of the first things to learn when starting out"

You're going to get a lot of people in here spouting about CB and licensing changes and walking uphill to the FCC testing office both ways where they were made to stand in a bucket of water with a car battery attached to their...

uhh...

Anyway, all I'm going to say is that YOU being a good operator is a big part of keeping ham radio orderly and vital in the future.  

It's not all of it... I don't agree with Riley Hollingsworth's "spin the dial" sentiment entirely.  Gentle reminders of good operating behavior to those who seem to be doing things wrong can be helpful, but if you can, do it over email not over the air.

If you have to do it over the air, be very subtle... "my call is KC2RVD, what's yours?"

Get in a conversation with the repeater-area simplexers and say "hey guys, we should take this to 146.535... that's a better spot to do simplex"

It's important to let people know that their behavior is being noticed, but probably a bad idea to take a holier-than-thou or authority figure sort of stance, ESPECIALLY on the air.  

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KC2RVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »

Yea I don't agree with the whole spin the dial thing either.

Of the guys on the simplex that I have heard, it appears as though they are "normally" out of "ear shot" for the repeaters, but when the propagation is right, they come through clear as day, but do not seem to be able to hear the repeater output.  

I do not want to get into the whole CBer and new licencing thing either.... but the Tech class licence exam is way too easy if you ask me.  Most people can actually memorize the answers, and I know this for a fact because I have heard people say it on the air.  I personally would like the question pool to not be available to the public.  Don't change the pool, just pull it from public view, that way you would actually have to study the material, and understand it.  After all one of the purposes of Amateur Radio is "To increase the number of trained radio operators and
electronics experts, and improve international goodwill"

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:17:35 PM »

>>but when the propagation is right, they come through clear as day, but do not seem to be able to hear the repeater output.<<

I would question that.  

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:08:59 AM »

It's just the wave of CBers who have upgraded.  Hopefully they will learn and improve their practices.
KC2RVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:59 AM »

Yea I was being nice when I said "they apparently can't hear the repeater"

N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

The guys who have recently got their licences have a genuine desire to make good and be part of the ham community. It is a shame that voice procedures and general ham practices are not being taught to the new guys at the time that they take their exams. That being the case it is up to the established ops like us to set a good example and show the new ops how it is generally done and how to get the best out of their equipment and antennas.

Mark  N1UK G3ZZM
WB6MMJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »

Now that just about anyone can get their Ham license I`m not surprised that we are getting people who really havn`t been interested in Ham Radio and no nothing about operating procedures. What did we expect when the licensing changed?
  I was interested in Ham Radio when I was a kid and it was a dream of mine to get my Ham license when I got older, which I did in 1975. It was in my blood, so to speak and I really wanted to fit right in when I got licensed. I listened to Ham Radio allot before becoming licensed.
  Now we practically give the license`s away.
When people don`t have to work for something it becomes less valuable to them. It doesn`t have to be "in their blood".
  So now we get people on the bands who don`t know where they should or shouldn`t be talking. We get some people who brought their C.B. jargon and their C.B. habits to the Ham bands.
  Some of us ask why are their people like this on our bands? You can thank the F.C.C. and the A.R.R.L.
  The A.R.R.L. is in hog heaven right now. They are getting more $$$$ which means more members.
  The F.C.C. has made the same mistake all over again. Remember what happened to C.B. through the years? It`s called "deregulation". The same thing is happening to Ham Radio.
  I believe there will be a day where you just sign your name to a Amateur Radio application, saying you understand all the rules and regs, and you will receive your license. It`s been heading that way for years now. If you don`t believe me, just look at how the tests have become easier as time has gone on.
  So there are some people on the bands who don`t know what they are doing? That is to be expected now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: