The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSP Audio Processing Units  (Read 4057 times)
WO8USA

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2007, 07:04:15 PM »

Has anyone tried the West Mountain Radio ClrDSP unit or the GAP Amplified Noise Elimination Module (ANEM) unit?  Wondering just how different the two are or if either are improvements over previous ones.  Not many eHam posings on them, but a recent QST article on the ANEM has me wondering!

Any expereinces welcome,
Chris WO8USA
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »

Not familiar with those, but I had the old Radio Shack external DSP audio unit I bought about 12 years ago.  It did work pretty well on my HTs.
AD0QK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »

I had a QF-1A and a MFJ-784B and now own a WMR CLRDSP unit. I never could get the MFJ to play nicely with noise on SSB. My little QF-1A did a respectable job for the $45 I put into it. Having said that I am in love with the CLRDSP unit! Man oh man does it clear up the noise. It is so much less fatiguing to work the HF bands now. Lately the 40M band is high in QRN and crappy props with lots of QSB in and out so the CLRDSP makes it a pleasure to work the nets. I've got the newest one with the three knob front and I think it's worth the extra bucks for the tone adjustment. The only quibble I have with it is no notch filter on/off or adjustment. I do have width and offset adjust on my txr so I guess it's no big deal except for the morons who just have to tune up on the frequency instead of off to the side.

So far this is the best unit I've ever tried on the back end of my old FT-757GX.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »

I have no experience with internal (IF) DSP radios but have had reasonably good luck with two filters... one DSP and the other analog. And I agree with AD0QK (above) that the ability to tune them is important. And both of them, oddly enough, reduce background QRN about the same. I have one on my old FT-767GX and the other on my K2.

And while they are perfect for CW they are both less than perfect for SSB. I may have to plunk down the money for an internal DSP unit but the reviews on those have been spotty, too.

The two filters I use are the Datong FL-3 (which is the FL-2 with an auto-notch feature) and the Timewave DSP 59+. Both of them are reviewed in depth here and there is a YouTube video that compares the FL-3 with a DSP filter and both of them seem to be about equal. The video is highly informative but the DSP unit it compares the FL-3 to seems to be no longer available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI2AcJCfOBo

I find that they can be fiddly to work with; especially at first.  And not sure how they'd do with the rapid fire DX or contest QSOs.

Both of them, by the way, draw more current than my K2 does on receive. Lots more.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: