Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to Organize my QSL Card Collection -Help!!!  (Read 527 times)
KL7OH

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »

Well, while the DX is slow here in AK, I need ideas on how to organize my QSL cards.  I was on an IOTA island for a few years so have quite a stack.  What's the easiest way to keep track of qsl's, 5Bwas, dxcc, ssb or cw, etc.  Do most keep a paper check list and file cards, say by state and country? or does anyone file by band, then country or state, and/or separate ssb and cw?  Any ideas helpful  Thanks Much KL7OH
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »

I keep mine in photo albums.  One set is for US cards.  These are sorted by state.  For me if I need to find a 40m Kansas for example, it's easier to go to the Kansas section and then just look for the 40 meter cards.  Since some cards have multiple contacts, it doesn't really work to sort by band or mode.  The other set is for DX.  Here they are sorted by entity.  Again since some cards have multiple contacts, it doesn't work to sort by band or mode.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »

I use green marble cardboard file boxes, which I get at places like Office Depot, Staples, etc.  They come in various sizes and they hold several hundred cards each.  I'd spend a fortune on photo albums.

In my novice days, I put the cards up with thumbtacks around the molding where the walls and ceiling of my room met.  As it turned out, I got so many QSLs that I had to limit this to one from each state.  My room had exactly enough room for all fifty cards, which I got in 4 months as a novice on 15 and 40 meters.

This was in 1959, right at the peak of a very good cycle, AND - Nevada was considered one of the rarer states.  Not too many Nevada hams back then.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »

I keep the physical cards in 5 1/4" floppy disk boxes using the labeled dividers to organize them.  This way, they are stored upright and away from dust with no worries about ink bleeding or transfer to plastic divider sheets as are used in some albums.  

In addition, I wrote a quick database program in Paradox and scanned all of the cards into that database.  I have entered call, date, time band, etc. and, with a few, simple queries, I can get all sorts of interesting information.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 03:04:08 AM »

I scan them all (both sides) and put them into a computer file.  I take the originals and put them into plastic sheets and airtight boxes, and store them all away for posterity.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:48:51 AM »

I got a few under glass on my desk, maybe 6 or so, the rest are in loose packs. Some are on a side table, others are in an "in" basket and still others in a drawer or two.  I am not overly concerned about their where abouts nor preservation.

Shame.....
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:45:50 PM »

I keep my cards in photo albums numbered by book and page. I set up a database so that I can search by callsign etc and find any card or combination of cards easily

Mark N1UK G3ZZM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: