Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-450SAT Question(s)  (Read 378 times)
AB0IO

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »

Hey guys.  I'm back on the air after a several year hiatus.  I picked up a used TS-450SAT (has the AT unit).  Seems to work OK on 20 SSB, but I get no output in the 20 mtr CW band or any other band.  The antenna is an old Spyder 40-10 compact dipole.  

Unfortunately, at this time I have no test equipment, no dummy load, etc, so I'm kinda feeling my way in the dark.  The Kenwood manual is pretty useless for any kind of serious diagnostic work.

One question that comes to mind.  Does this rig have an SWR-protected final that will shut itself down if presented with a really bad impedance match?

Any way to jury rig a reasonable dummy load?  Back in the 1960s I used a light bulb, but I don't know how well that would work on a modern transceiver.

Any suggestions welcome.  Yes, I know, I need some test equipment and probably a better antenna/tuner. ;-)

Thanks.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:33:53 PM »

"I get no output in the 20 mtr CW band or any other band."

Do you mean you get no CW output on any band, or no SSB output on any band other than 20 meters? If you're not getting any CW output but SSB works fine on other bands, try turning on the VOX in CW mode. Many newer radios require the VOX to be on to transmit CW. With the VOX off, the radio will only send side-tone thru its internal speaker. BTW, tuning to a dead frequency and leaving the VOX off turns the radio into a great code practice oscillator.

As for using a light bulb for a dummy load, DONT DO IT. It may have worked with older tube rigs, but it's definitely not a 50 ohm match. Plus, it isn't a dummy load as it radiates the RF- it's more like a crappy antenna. Back in my novice days, I worked a guy on 40 meter CW who was 3 miles away from me- using a 100 watt light bulb as a "dummy load"! You need to get a real dummy load- a shielded 50 ohm non-inductive load. Heathkit cantennas show up at a lot of hamfests for cheap, but the mineral oil can be messy and weep through the vent plug. Best bet is one of the newer dry type air-cooled loads.

Good luck, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: