Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Broadcasting(and others)  (Read 1565 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »

KT4WO wrote, "and Scott..I dont need your sympathy..but will take any narrow filters you have laying around...hih"

That's why I sold my 756 and bought a 756Pro!

And as much as it really pains me to agree with you (but hey, its Christmas Eve so I guess I can be generous this one time!), I honestly can't tell you the last time I listened to the bulletins over the air (regardless of mode) for the purpose of actually listening the bulletins. One of the benefits of being a member of the ARRL (and these days there aren't many) is that I get them emailed to me.

As far as the digital modes, Hellschreiber is my rag-chew mode of choice these days. As the Assistant Membership Manager, I would like to suggest that you look at the Feld Hell Club at http://feldhellclub.org/

I also share your sentiments about MixW. I have never used it and probably never will. Every time I would run across their North American distributor and he found out that I was not using MixW, the conversation would quickly turn from a QSO to a sales pitch. On several occasions it came dangerously close to being pecuniary in nature. Now whenever I see him calling CQ, I just keep on looking elsewhere on the waterfall and if he answers when I call CQ, I just keep calling as if he wasn't there. I can understand having a vested interest in the company, but he has crossed the line.

I know this sounds like I am blaming General Motors for a problem I had with my local Chevrolet dealer, but the point is that there are lot of other very capable pieces of software on the market for the digital modes and I don't appreciate someone trying to twist my arm to use any one of them!

Harumph!

Scott N0IU
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »

Lon-
as much as I dislike you and think ur a Flamer and a Troll...

Have a very Good Christmas...and I Mean that!!

We are all In the same boat..and when I comes down to it... We are a very Elite(sp) Group that could NEVER agree about anything!!

Scott...Thanks and you also have a great Christmas

Have a GREAT Holiday Season all!!!!!

Trip - KT4WO

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 07:42:59 PM »

Well, I don't dislike you. How could I?  We have never met. However, I have no respect for you.

There is one major difference between us. I have never used, nor ever will, such a comment as you made to me, either in person or on the Internet. I have too much respect for myself.

I did have respect for you, even with the difference of opinions, until you told me to GFY.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 07:47:48 PM »

"I can understand having a vested interest in the company, but he has crossed the line."

Scott,,,
I think I know who you speak of...NOW I inderstand why he pushed it so had...Now 2+2 does =4  hee hee

I thought he just really liked it.. hee hee

I did buy MultiPSK..but. didnt feel that I had to.
and I dont really HATE the ARRL..but I do have issues with them..If we didnt have them..we would prob. not have the bands we do. I just feel that they dont speak for ALL hams...just a few...Like our Gov.. hee hee

I know Lon and a few others would like to kill me..or send me back to "CB" ..But I still remember when I had NO money to spend on the hobby but alot of time to put into it, and because I didnt have money..I felt that the ARRL didnt think I was "worth" the time.

OK..Pitty Party is over!!...

Happy Holidays to ALL..even you Lon!!!
73 de Trip - KT4WO

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 09:59:06 PM »

This one is unbelievable, Lon.  

Well, not these days.

KE3WD said that on Christmas.

!
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 01:33:39 PM »

BEGIN QUOTE
RE: ARRL Broadcasting(and others)  Reply  
by KT4WO on December 24, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
N0IU - Scott
" I have absolutely no sympathy for you being QRM'd by the ARRL bulletins. You know exactly when and where the bulletins are going to be, so why do you insist on putting yourself in the path of an oncoming bus?"

I know when and where they TX..
I dont always keep my eye on the time, so I have unkeyed to find the CW signal right on top of me.
Is this the ARRL's fault..NO...I should have watched the time..
As Code is no longer required for a ticket(damn shame)..why broadcast it??..I used it many times while working on my code speed.. and it was helpful..
BUT ....In this day of the NET and other resources...Is it really helpful now??

and Scott..I dont need your sympathy..but will take any narrow filters you have laying around...hihi  
END QUOTE.

Yes the code practice sessions are indeed useful for anyone who wants to work on code.  I can take a little portable shortwave receive only radio on a business trip and pretty much pick up an ARRL transmission on one band or another during those transmissions.

Again, some people LIKE to work on their code in that manner.
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »

"and BTW Lon...GFY"

What a nice way for a somewhat educated person to end a discussion, to say nothing of how disgustingly contorted poor Lon would appear, IF he or anyone else were capable of doing so.

Living along that road hasn't done anything for you, perhaps you would be able to find something you more suitable along Grouse Dr.

A pleasant holiday to you Tom.
Still time left to add to your new years resolutions.

73 Ed

VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »

"As Code is no longer required for a ticket(damn shame)..why broadcast it??..I used it many times while working on my code speed.. and it was helpful..
BUT ....In this day of the NET and other resources...Is it really helpful now?? "

As others have said, lots of hams still use, and are learning, Morse code, and some people do want to use the ARRL's on-air code practice sessions.

And as for the question if it is necessary in the age of the Internet, well, no it isn't. But you could say the same thing about everything in ham radio. Every form of communication hams do over the air (voice, CW, digital modes), could usually be done more easily and reliably over the Internet. But then it wouldn't be ham *radio* any more. Transmitting those code practice sessions over the air is important because our hobby is all about *radio*. Using radio for the code practice sessions shows a commitment to radio that relying on the Internet does not.

But in addition to this, the ARRL already does make those code practice sessions available over the web. You can download them from their website.

There is also one reason why copying the code practice sessions over the air is better practice for learning the code - you have to copy the code under real-life conditions of interference, fading, and poor signal strength. It's harder to copy code under those conditions and it's good practice for your actual on-the-air use of the code.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: