Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am acused of scamming  (Read 999 times)
KC2PTA

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »

Ok, i was recently acused of scamming a fellow ham. I ofcourse did not scam him, what had happend is this:

I sold hime a swan 500, then my grandpa told me no!! so i told the buyer sorry cant do it. I then sold my swan 270, and it got damaged in shipping, so i emailed him about the swan, well i sent the swan insurance email to a kenneth, whaich turned out to be the first kenneth who tried buying the swan 500.

BOTH buyers where named kenneth, and both bought a swan, one was deneyd by my grandfather, so, the one who was denied thought i had sold the swan 500, and now calls me a scammer, and told me he is spreading it all over the internet that i scam. I have emails from both kenneths for proofe.

what the heck do i do now??
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:23:27 PM »

Did the first Kenneth give you any money? Has it been returned? If so I see no scam, poor attention to detail maybe, but no intent to defraud him.  If your explaination doesnt satisfy him there isnt much you can do other than be more careful in the future.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 11:56:30 PM »

Why did you sell the Swan 500 without getting your grandfathers permission first?  
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:17:35 AM »

If you are a minor, you shouldn't be buying/selling stuff here as you can't legally enter into a contract with anyone.  Also, if this is you on eBay, your feedback doesn't look good:  http://myworld.ebay.com/bob_the_dog09/.  Your call was referenced in one of the negative feedback responses.  If this is not you, you need to clear this up with eBay as well.

Phil - AD5X
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »

"so, the one who was denied thought i had sold the swan 500, and now calls me a scammer, and told me he is spreading it all over the internet that i scam. "

Gee, really?

Josh, if you're going to sell stuff online you need to be aware of the fact that you have to get every little detail perfect for people to be happy with your salesmanship.  You have to be careful to email the right people.

There are a lot of scammers out there that do things exactly like what you've described but with malicious intent.

If you can call these guys on the phone it might help clear your name.  Being able to hear the tone of your voice and that you're young could suggest to them that you just messed up, not that you're a scammer.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KC2PTA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:57:45 AM »

Well, niether of the two men gave me a telephone number. An no, the ebay acount, and feedback is not mine, i am only 16, and you must be 18 to have an ebay acount to sell, and to buy.

The reason i sold the swan 500 in the first place is it is too big, and takes up 3/4 of my desk space. It plain and simple is to bulky. I sold it with out consent of my grand father because it is mine, and i do not live with him. He got upset because he seems to think a swan 500 in the great shape mine is in, will be worth something when i am in my 80's like him.

I will try to clear this up with the two guys involved, but it will be real dificult, since the one who thinks i am a scammer has " Wish you the worst of luck kiddo!!" so he is real mad. And I think it best to call him also, but i will need him to email m his number.

I supose and apology is in line for the hams out there, i should of been more clear, and paid more attention to who was which one i sold the swan 270 to. thank all of you for your ideas, and input.
KC2PTA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »

"Did the first Kenneth give you any money? Has it been returned?"

yes, a wells fargo money gram, Yes, it all will be returned, i say WILL because it has not yet gotten here, when it does, I will send ALL OF THE MONEY back tohim, and i told him this, then he started in on me scamming, saying i lied to him, and sold the swan 500 anyway, he told me " hope you got a better price for it."  So my idea was to send the money and give him the swan 500, so i wont beconsiderd a scammer. And ill just get my grandpa a 706 instead.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »

Your grandfather is probably right.  The Swan 500 could be worth a lot in 50 years.  Have you tried asking him if he would like to buy it?
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:07:59 PM »

Josh,

It seems to me that a Moneygram has a fee associated with it that is probably not refundable if the Moneygram people aren't at fault:

"MoneyGram will use reasonable efforts to determine whether you are entitled to a refund and, if applicable effect a refund, within thirty (30) days after it receives from you a valid written request (including by email) or such shorter period as may be required by law. If MoneyGram determines that funds have not been delivered due solely to MoneyGram's or our Representative's fault, both the Transfer Amount and the Consumer Fee will be refunded in U.S. dollars. If MoneyGram determines that you are entitled to a refund for any other reason, only the Transfer Amount will be refunded."

You should probably:

1) Talk to your grandfather about the situation.  He compelled you to terminate a sale that is probably yours to control, but you clearly want to respect his feelings, so you need to take the right way out of this and maybe he'd help you with #2, which is:

2) Send a check to the seller for the amount of the fee that he can't get refunded after you and grandpa can determine what it is.  

He'll stop calling you a scammer after that... just make sure the check clears ;-)

I might be misreading Moneygram's policies, but this guy might just be steaming because he's thinking he dropped $24 on a dumb kid's aborted sale.

That said, if he continues to be unreasonable, it's possible he's just pissed because you were selling the Swan 500 at much, much less than it's real value and he was going to turn around and sell it for double or triple what he was going to pay you for it, or was getting the deal of a lifetime on something he knew was a collectible.  I don't know.  

If he's real quick to go to the internet and smear you, I wouldn't let him get the radio... that sounds fishy to me.  On the other hand, you need to do everything you can to make sure he has spent zero money on this transaction.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 06:17:38 AM »

I wouldn't give away your Swan 500!!! This guy will get over it. Just e-mail him explanation of what went on and refund the money plus the fee. That puts you in the clear. If he's still mad bacause he lost out on a good deal, that's his problem.

Your grandpa is probably correct. If you don't operate the Swan 500 then box it up and put it away. In the future you'll be really glad you did. I had an old Hallicrafters Ultra-Skyrider receiver when I was a kid. I paid $15 for it. I wish I had it today. I followed an e-bay auction on one a few months ago and it went for over $400.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 05:04:17 PM »

good advice already,

keep your radio, refund money with any  fees,
along with a letter explaining that you are
a minor and the sale is now void.

keep the swan !

regards,

james
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »

I agree.  There are even CB radios from the '60s going for big money to collectors.  I heard that a Courier 1M was recently snatched up for $3K!  Check out Retrocom.com
KC2PTA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »

Well, i just talked to  n5xxm, the one acusing me, he told me he knows the money was cashed long ago. I never recieved it, i think it best to give him the radio now, he is so certain i stole the money, but i didnt recieve a check, or moeny order from him EVER.

KC2PTA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 02:12:39 PM »

from  "Kenneth T. Harris" <n5xxm@grandecom.net>    hide details  1:07 pm (1 hour ago)  
 reply-to  "Kenneth T. Harris" <n5xxm@grandecom.net>  
 to  "Joshua M. Hughes" <joshhughes63@gmail.com>  
 date  Aug 25, 2007 1:07 PM  
 subject  Re: QTH.COM Ad -- WTS: SWAN 500 TRANSIEVER...  
 mailed-by  grandecom.net

josh, get real man....... the money order was cashed a long time ago dude...
come on, dont give me that crap.....

just another screwing i got man.... just like all the others.....

and being 16 not a darn thing i can do about it....

oh well....

later kiddo!

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »

Josh:

Part 1:  Do NOT send this man ANYTHING until he proves the money order was cashed by YOU. There is a paper-trail to these things and insist that he provide written proof from the issuer of the money order. The issuer will provide (A) the date the money order was cashed, and (B) whose name is on the endorsement. Insist on a photo copy of BOTH sides of the money order. If you never received the money order, you are NOT required to send him the radio.

Part 2: You are not going to like this, but it needs to be said.

You appear to be obsessed with amateur radio, to the detriment of other parts of your life, including schooling. As a 16-year old, school and an education should be your FIRST priority and your hobbies second.

As I have stated before, your spelling and grammar need a lot of improvement. In your first post of this thread there were eight misspellings and several other punctuation and grammatical errors. The ability to communicate is the basis for all social exchange and you do it poorly, even for a 16-year old. Some of your postings on other threads have been very difficult to understand and your lack of comunications skills is the reason. And lay off the "poor ol' country boy" routine. In real life, no one will take you seriously if you keep it up. Most people will take it as an excuse for being intellectually lazy.

Lastly, if my wife and I were your aunt and uncle, you would have a very different arrangement of your time, especially after this selling debacle. I would limit you to weekends for your radio interests - period. The rest of the time would be spend on school, homework, farm chores (you do claim to live on a farm) and so forth.

I say all this, not to be mean, but to try to make you see that there are greater priorities in like, especially for a teenager, than amateur radio.

Eager, you may be; balanced, you are not.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: