Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RUDE HAMS  (Read 2226 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »

I was driving on I-70 yesterday and at around mile marker 148 at 13:45 CST. I spotted a light green SUV that looked like a porcupine. I got along side of it and waved my Yaesu microphone in the air with the keypad side facing him. He looked and just sped up. I tuned to the two repeaters that were in the area and also to the national 2 meter USB frequency and called for him. Nothing. I saw the rubber duck sticking up through his drivers side window so I know he had a radio in the car. What a rude person. Just another example of a 4 wheeler that is above talking to a truckdriver.
The first letters of his license plate is YKY.
I know that nobody has to talk to anyone else but when you see a vehicle that is obviously a mobile ham unit it is kind of nice to QSO with that person. It gets kind of boring on the road and a little contact makes the journey just a little nicer.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »

Some hams, and a bunch of people in general, prefer to talk only to individuals they know on a personal basis. Or to people whom they will never come into personal contact with.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I'll talk to anyone when the opportunity presents itself. Although I seldom initiate the conversation.

Merry Christmas
Craig

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »

<< Just another example of a 4 wheeler that is above talking to a truckdriver. >>

I think you are getting a little paranoid, Shawn.

How do you know he was a ham? YKY on his license plate means nothing. There are all sorts of non-ham vehicles with multiple antennas on them.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:37:18 PM »

Are you sure he wasn't just a pirate, a freebander or a CBer?  Some of those dudes pack huge amps in their trunks or under their back seats.  He might have thought you were Uncle Charlie trying to nail him!  
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »

"...national 2 meter USB frequency..."?  How do you know he was even listening on SSB?  Around here, most 2 meter mobile activity is on FM.

For that matter, how do you know he wasn't already in QSO with another station?  On a completely different band??

I have ham license plates and an inconspicuous 2/440 antenna, and I drive around quite often with the radio off, listening to something besides amateur stations.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »

For sometime I ran APRS mobile my becon which shows up
on there APRS program or radio showed my as a mobile
18 wheeler. More times then I can count I have had cq
me on 146.520 and they were happy to talk a bit. Once
when I had my radios off I even had a car pull in front
of my and started tapping is brake, took me a minute,
he was sending me a cq in code with his brakes. I was
happy to turn on my radio, ended up making a long time
friend.
Please do remember it's the holiday weekend and some
people have there minds on other things then ham radio.

Tom
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 07:16:19 PM »

when you see a vehicle that is obviously a mobile ham unit it is kind of nice to QSO with that person.

Unless, that person doesn't want to have a QSO at the time.  You're being rude by saying that he was rude when you don't even know the other side of the story.  No one is obligated to Q with you if they don't want to.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:45:33 AM »

He is violating the amateur creed, so report him to the ARRL for being discourteous.  Aren't hams supposed to be friendly to each other?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:54:23 AM »

If I were at MM 148 on I-70 in Missouri (you didn't say what state you were in at the time so I am making a huge assumption here), I would have just pulled off there at Kingdom City exit and gone to the Iron Skillet for lunch!

One thing you might try is putting a sign on your windows or maybe a magnetic sign you can put on the doors with "KD0AFK 146.52" in big letters. Of course you realize that if someone sees this and calls you, you are obligated to return their call and engage in a QSO or you will be considered to be a rude operator!

Seriously, with all due respect, I have to agree with the others that there may be times when its not all about you. There could be any number of reasons why the guy in the green SUV didn't return your call and I think you need to give him the benefit of the doubt before you judge him.

Scott N0IU

SPITFIRETN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 09:59:16 AM »

I leave my radio off when the family is in the car.  Not sticking up for the guy, but he may have had a reason.  No reason on thinking it was a bad reason.  People don't give others the benefit of the doubt anymore.  It’s always negative!
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »

W3LK said I was being paranoid. I don't know how many walmart parking lots I have seen that have those anti-truck arches to make the trucks park in the back. I ask why they installed the arches and they always say it is because truckers trash our parking lots. I am not saying that truck drivers are the cleanest people on the face of the earth and yes, some of them don't care where they throw their garbage (and sometimes even worse) but I have been in those lots after they close and compared the area where the trucks park and where the cars were parked and where the cars were looks like a land fill. Call me paranoid all you want, the fact remains that the only time people like trucks is when we bring you your stuff or buy your fuel. The world hates truckers. That is all too obvious by the way we are treated by the world. We have a reputation of being scum.
I don't talk on the CB radio because of that reason. I have to confess, I hate "truckers" too. That is why I am not a trucker. I am an over the road truck driver. But if I had a business, I would let truckers and truck drivers alike park in my lot because without us the world would be Amish. So I believe my paranoia is well founded. The least the person could have done is wave back.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »

KD0AFK wrote, "The world hates truckers. That is all too obvious by the way we are treated by the world. We have a reputation of being scum."

It seems to me that the person you really should be angry with is the person who held a gun to your head and made you choose such a horrible line of work!

Scott N0IU
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »

I used to have a license plate frame the staed that I monitored 146.520.  I NEVER had a single operator try to make contact with me while I was on the road!  When the frame got broken I just trashed it.

Even having repeaters within 25 miles of the interstate programmed into my radio when I traveled and calling as each came into range, almost never got ANY response.  I had better luck calling on 146.520 and getting the occasional Ham trucker for a short while.  

In fact, on one trip, I heard a repeater announcing a local club meeting that evening.  I though to myself, I am going to be stopping there for the night anyway so I will try to go to the meeting.  So, I called on the repeater for anyone to give me directions to the meeting site and got no response.  

Then I called on every other repeater in the area with the the same request.  It was like the repeaters were the Flying Dutchmen of repeaters.  They kept on operating but no living being was listening.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »

You really need to change professions, or at least find a good therapist to talk over your feelings with, Shawn. I have never met any trucker with the chip on the shoulder that you seem to have.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »

<< That is why I am not a trucker. I am an over the road truck driver.>>

Yea, right. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: