Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In-dash mount for a ICOM IC 2200H  (Read 2348 times)
LOSTTOY

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:40:20 AM »

I recently purchased an ICOM IC 2200H VHF xcvr. My car has a double DIN stereo so I figured I could replace the double din stereo with a single DIN and use the remaining 1 DIN for the VHF xcvr. The question is that how do I fit the non-standard VHF unit into the DIN sized kit of my car? The ICOM measures 5.5(W) x 1.6(H) x 5.9 (D) inches (140 x 40 x 146 mm).

Thanks,

- Siddhartha
  KI6NUJ
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:06:48 AM »

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but be advised that you may well have a problem with overheating due to insufficient airflow to cool the rig with it stuck in a DIN box.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
LOSTTOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

I did consider the overheating issue but given that the ICOM is 40mm (less than the DIN spec of 50mm height), there should be a thin envelope of air that can be circulated with an external fan.

Other than the dash, there is hardly any space in the car to mount the VHF xcvr Sad

- Siddhartha
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »

As long as you are going to put an externa fan behind it, it will probably work.

<< Other than the dash, there is hardly any space in the car to mount the VHF xcvr >>

I have yet to see the vehicle I couldn't mount a radio as small as the 2200 in without putting a hole in the dash for it.

Take a look as www.k0bg.com for ideas.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
LOSTTOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »

Thanks for that link. I did find another HAM who mounted what looks like a FT-8800/8900 in the dash Smiley

http://k0bg.com/Gallery/Other-Installs-Volume-Two/VK4TDI3
AJ4TG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »

Ok, so I know this thread is over 4 years old now, but when I did a Google search IC-2200H dash mount a few days ago, this is the first result that appears.  That means that others who may be searching on ways to mount their 2200H or other mobiles are probably finding this thread as well.

I thought I would share my solution for dash mounting my IC-2200H.  I followed the links in this thread and while there were a lot of good ideas on K0BG's website, none really fit what I was wanting to do...mount the IC-2200H in the factory DIN slot.

My specific vehicle is a 2002 F-150.  The factory radio is a 1.5 DIN.  My goal was to mount a new single DIN stereo along with my 'single DIN' IC-2200H.  The results can be seen here...   http://www.mfielectronics.com/DINAdapter.htm  It required performing all of the usual steps in mounting a double-DIN device in a factory 1.5 DIN Ford slot which can be found by searching the internet (i.e. cutting away parts of the plastic sub-dash, etc).

I had the "DIN adapters" CNC machined from billet aluminum, and a black anodized aluminum trim plate (not shown in the photos) to cover the gaps around the sides of the radio.  I also installed a small, 12V cooling fan controlled by the ignition switch below the radio stack to keep air moving around the radio's heatsink.  There is also a remote speaker mounted out of sight under the dash since the audio was somewhat muffled after the radio was installed behind the dash.

I am very happy with the results.  The IC-2200H looks like it was factory installed!  If anyone is interested in doing the same for this radio or others that are small enough to fit a 2 x 7 opening, please contact me via email.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »

That'll get nice and toasty. Probably fry the stereo as well.
AJ4TG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

That'll get nice and toasty. Probably fry the stereo as well.

How could I fry both the radio and strereo when the cooing fan keeps the unit just a cool if not cooler as when it was mounted out in the open with no forced air flow?  Have you tried this before and burned up a radio?  Perhaps if I was transmitting at 65W for several minutes at a time I would need to expand on the cooling system (more air flow), but that is not how I operate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: