Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time  (Read 1841 times)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

<< although UTC is generally stated in 24 hour format. >>

I don't think it is possible to state UTC in anything other than a 24-hour format.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »

Plenty of inexpensive 24 hour clocks around!  Hang one in the shack and you're in business.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

As I said before,I do not object to UTC.My original post was a question looking for an answer.I was frustrated because I thought I was going to miss the HAARP transmission.Not looking to be looked down upon here.Not all the posts above were that by any means.But as I reviewed past posts by some,I see it is a habit for them to be above anyone other than themselves.There are a few amateur operators out there that are simply better than us average people who just lucked out with our amateur radio exams.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »

>Did you have the antenna connected to the receiver? I really cannot believe that you NEVER heard ANYONE use UTC/GMT/ZULU time in a conversation! That statement defies all logic.<

>You're not a real Ham if you don't know what that it or how to convert it to your own time zone.<

There are NO questions in any of the license exams about UTC.That means it is used by choice.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »

<< There are NO questions in any of the license exams about UTC.That means it is used by choice.>>

All that means is it is not covered by the FCC regulations.

The fact that is it is STANDARD for timekeeping in amateur radio and international SW broadcasting means that the prudent ham uses it, if he wants to be in step with the rest of the amateur community, that is.

If you want to be out in left field by yourself, by all means enjoy being there. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »

I don't think it is possible to state UTC in anything other than a 24-hour format.
-----------------------------------------------------
Why not? 0100 UTC is 1 AM UTC and 1300 UTC is 1 PM UTC. Nobody that I know of does it that way but it is possible.

I was just wondering whether his issue was the different time zones or the 12/24 hour format. They each require a different explanation.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

I dont want this post getting over thought.I will repeat the first.I needed to know what time in New york state 0600z was.Thats all I needed.Maybe it sounded as if I worded it in an angry way.I guess it was sarcasm which is undetectable in text form.No big deal anyhow,if I was thinking and I was not,this is the computer age and to download a digital clock in UTC for windows was easy.I will get used to using the time that way and sooner or later will come naturally.Very cool clock tho.73`s all,and thank you for the help.I didnt hear the HAARP signal anyhow Sad

http://www.irnis.net/soft/aclock/
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

<< .I didnt hear the HAARP signal anyhow Sad >>

I'm sorry you missed it.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:33 PM »

No offence, but my first reaction was about the same - did you read any of the radio manuals I did?  Heck, I still call it GMT when it's been to Zulu time and now UTC [Universal Coordinated Time].

It's a convention in Radio and Aviation to use Zulu time for all information - that way you don't have to worry about time zone or Standard Vs. Daylight Savings time.

You can get a free time check on WWV at 5, 10 or 15 MHz AM, 24 hours a day.

Once you know your correction, it's easy to use.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »

I remember the GMT/UTC issue was fully explained in the ARRL novice manual, TUNE IN THE WORLD WITH HAM RADIO. You may wish to consult that reference. Also would have taken all of 5 seconds to change the time zone on the WINDOWS clock to UTC.

73, de KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:09 AM »

UTC is defined by the ISO standards organization as a 24-hour clock.  The usage of AM or PM is not allowed.  For more information you can consult ISO 8601 standard.
K6CU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

There's a simple "fix" for your problem... Yahoo has several "widgets" available with 24 hour clocks that can be set to show local and UTC. I have one on my desktop and it's the easiest way to keep track of UTC.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: