Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a GMRS Radio  (Read 745 times)
WHITESQUIRREL44

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2006, 07:35:30 AM »

I resently joined an organization that uses GMRS radios.  They are cheap and readily available, but don't work that great.  Maybe they would get 14 miles if each person was standing on a hill with a clear line of sight.  I know that antenna makes a big difference.  Does anyone know of a mfg. that makes a 5 watts hand held with a detachable antenna that works on all GMRS public frequencies?  The ones I've seen were 2 watt, either one or two channel business radios.  Any help is appreciated.
KC2OOS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »

Most, if not all, of the common manufacturers of commercial radios make units that fit your description. I suggest you talk to a local commercial radio dealer.

You can get an idea of what's out there by visiting the websites of the major manufacturers, such as Icom, Yaesu/Vertex Standard, Kenwood, Motorola, Maxon, etc.

Some of these radios can also be programmed to work on the nearby 70cm Amateur band, so you can have a dual-service radio, as well.
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 10:40:23 AM »

I use the ICOM F21GM with our CERT group.  This is a sturdy, commercial grade radio which has the GMRS repeater pairs and the interstitial simplex channels common with FRS channels 1 through 7 factory pre-loaded.  You program the CTCSS or DCS code as needed for repeater access.  MSRP is about $200, but this model is widely available discounted to around $150. This rig is NOT useable on the 70 cm ham band, and is type accepted for GMRS only.

One link is:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/frs/1606.html
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

Check out the forums and advertisers over at http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true
They are GMRS advocates who can point you in the right direction.  
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 04:19:51 PM »

Here's an honest dealer with fair pricing and unexcelled positive reputation:

http://www.rkleef.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS / KAF3359

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:49:44 AM »

Of course, you already have a GMRS license. Right?
K0RNY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 01:48:10 AM »

Hey Squirrel, MAXXON used to make some great radios for GMRS, one they made in '96 was a clone of the Radio Shack HTX202 and -404 ham HTs, which they made for Radio Shack, contrary to the talk that they were "made" by Icom. Unless your org has a repeater, HTs are going to be worthless except for point to point.

Another tip is for them to aqquire radios for FRS band, and then get one of these little simplex repeaters for an HT like Radio Shack used to sell, and run that through a mobile antenna on a high spot. Before our little emergency group folded I set one of these up and the only people who complained were the local drug dealers. Some would argue a grey area as repeaters aren't allowed on FRS, when lives are at stake, frivolous fripperies of legality count for little.

Do a google search, and I will too, if I find anything I'll let you know.

Corny
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 01:23:33 AM »

The FRS have non removable antennas and low power for a reason, to keep their range short. I think GMRS may have similar restrictions in place to keep the useful distance down.

there again this is a great reason to get your self and your friends into ham radio. you can take a test for about $14 and the questions and answers are posted, here on this site and on qrz.com also. then you can run on 2 meters with a HT at 5 watts or even do moonbounce on 2 meters cw at 1500 watts. it opens up a whoe new world.  you can build or buy antennas and put them up as high as you need to, ( barring local rules and regs )

good luck
DREWCAREY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »

GMRS does NOT have restrictions like FRS. GMRS can use 5 Watts on the frequencies they share with FRS. However, on the frequencies set-aside specifically for GMRS, then 50 watts can be used. Unlike FRS, GMRS users can use external antennas, repeaters, etc.

Unlike ham radio, there is no test. I applied for a GMRS license on a Sunday evening. On Tuesday morning, my license and call showed up in the FCC system. Talk about fast!

GMRS is great for local communications with the family and there was no test so the family jumped on board pretty quickly and they love it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: