About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRG-7  (Read 1382 times)
AARON2007

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

Does anyone know any good antennas for a Frg-7?

Thanks.
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

You need to stick 5 feet of number 4 copper where the sun don't shine.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:02:48 AM »

That comment was uncalled for.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »

Aaron,

Antennas can be a very complex issue, from your other post it seems you are interested in broadcast. I would be glad to help out. You can email me at ww5aa@sbcglobal.net. I have a very simple coax antenna and can send you a diagram.

73 de Lindy
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »

Your right.  

That wasn't called for and I apologize to the poster and any reader who may be bothered.

The question was so open ended and the poster was anonymous.  I see the rise in the troll to poster ratio and assumed this was another troll.  

I wish all the posters would at least fill out a profile.  Us actual hams are vulnerable as the call sign exposes all.

I'll contain myself.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »

<< I wish all the posters would at least fill out a profile.>>

Amen! And use their REAL, full name.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »

WA5UHK -- thanks for the apology OM!

I know if *I* had even a nickel for every time *I* said something dumb, I could quit my job!

Anyway, Aaron appears (based on the receiver he's asking about) to be a SWL not a ham (If I recall he also posted asking where to find amateur testing sites near him and got several posts referencing ARRL & W5YI's VEC websites) -- possibily even a youth/teen? as one of his posts is in the youth forum -- and his questions are reasonable: what to do/use for an antenna (or preamp) for SW receive from central europe and asia. This is one major way new blood comes into the hobby -- electronic tinkerers, SW listeners, CB'ers, FRS'ers, etc. looking to learn more, and perhaps expand their activities.

In general I have no problem w/ anonymous posters, barring perhaps suspicious transmitter/amplifier mod questions for example that likely take on into illegal operating turf in their apparent operating jurisdition, or clear (perhaps even obscene) trolls, only looking to get a rise out of the group, certainly better SW reception and antenna suggestions for a 1980's receiver don't fall in that category.

To his question, sounds like he needs either a longer wire antenna and/or (more likely?) the wire higher up, and perhaps a better RF ground)? Maybe he needs to listen at evening vs. daytime when propagation is better (assuming lower bands), maybe the stations of interest are not running high power or are not directing their signals into North America (assuming he's located in N.A., he doesn't say).  

Also the FRG-7 (from rear panel photos) appears to have multiple antenna inputs, both a UHF connector and single ended wire connectors (plus RF ground), so maybe a differant input is called for -- I'm not familiar with the receiver though so can't offer specific advise.

There may be a Yahoo FRG-7 users group, he might be well served there too, or he could try the Fox Tango group www.foxtango.org (mostly Yaesu FT-101 transceiver stuff, but they also may be familiar w/ the FRG-7). Also he could see:  http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Yaesu_FRG-7

Aaron: Where (what state/province/country/etc.) are you in? How's your current antenna set up? What's the connection from the antenna to the radio? When and what frequencies are you listening on? Do you know the FRG-7's in good working order?

Please pardon us if we sometimes come across as grumpy old guys -- we're (generally) not really like that!    
TOYBOX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:00:12 AM »

Quote: There may be a Yahoo FRG-7 users group...."

There is and it is a good group. You can find it here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FRG-7/

Craig N4CQR
Berea, KY USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: