Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 Meters  (Read 525 times)
KE6AEE

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »

I've been looking at  a lot of antennas, and I've found with commercial and homebrew antennas most of the multiband antennas dont have 30 meters.  Im new to all of this stuff, so does it have to do with mathmatical reasons that feedline impedence would be too high?
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 06:44:35 AM »

I think the reason that many multiband antennas do not include 30M is economic rather than electronic.  Many countries do not have ham privleges on 30M and many hams do not use 30M due to it being CW & Digital only.  Manufactures aim their product at the largest audience they can and the 30M crowd is sort of small.  The Hustler BTV series has one that will work on 30M and Butternut has a kit to add it to the HF#V series.  However it is real easy to make a vetical antenna for 30M with a tree and ground rod.  Find a tree at least 25 feet tall, throw a stout cord over the branch, haul up the vertical section (about 23 feet if memory serves) lay out some equal size radials at the ground rod and trim the vertical section for 1:1 SWR.  30M is a great band on contest weekends when you don't want to get involved in the contest and there is seldom a pile even when something rare shows up.  And when there is a crowd it is "doable" where on 20M my station has trouble competing with the "big guns".  

Hope to see you there,
Clint - W5CPT
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »

30m is a great band, both for low power ragchewing and serious DX chasing.

During the recent Clipperton expedition (TX5C), the first band I worked them on was 30m, because it was so easy (a few watts into anything easily snagged them).  Same went for VP6DX on Ducie a few weeks ago, and many other expeditions I can remember.

The Hustler 6BTV covers 30m and actually works very well there, provided you have an adequate radial system.

A 30m dipole probably costs about $10 to build.

No reason not to be on that band.

WB2WIK/6
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »

"Many countries do not have ham privleges on 30M and many hams do not use 30M due to it being CW & Digital only. Manufactures aim their product at the largest audience they can and the 30M crowd is sort of small"

Yup, that's probably most of it.

Build a real 30m antenna, you won't be disappointed.  If someone were to say to me, "Dan, you gotta work one band and one band only, what'll ya pick" , 30m would be a serious contender.

While not all countries have 30m, many do and it's a solid band any time in the sunspot cycle without a bunch of kilowatts to compete against.

It was my DX workhorse band when I was stuck in an apartment with a some magnet wire strung out to the trees fed as a doublet.  Great band to get DXpeditions on.  It hasn't been my #1 band all the time since I've got a better antenna on 20/17 now but it's always easy to get a QSO on 30m.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: