Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shure 522 with Icom IC-756?  (Read 344 times)
KC1UA

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:11:47 AM »

Hello,

I have read the many favorable reviews on this desk mic here, but I see no reference to using it with an Icom rig, specifically a 756 (original).

It appears to me that there may be an impedance mismatch. I am curious as to whether anyone has used this mic with this rig with any level of success, and if so what steps were necessary to make it happen.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Scott/KC1UA
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:06:31 AM »

Scott,
You will not be able to connect the mike directly to your 756. The Icom mikes of that ilk are Electret mics. That is they require a voltage (from the xcvr) to work and the they are very high output. So any "regular" mike will not have the gain to drive your 756.  You will need something to give you the gain to use it. It was suggested to me to use a Beringer X-802 to boost the mike output high enough to use with the Pre-Pro Icoms.

http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=XENYX802

The above link is from R&L which handles the mixer.  There is also a 502 version which is only 2 inputs that will work if you can find one. The advantage to the multiple inputs is that you can hook up a desk mike, a boom mike and a a headset all at the same time.  The mixer has a blocking cap to eleminate the voltage coming from your rig.  And you will be able to use ANY mike you find to run your Pre-Pro Icom.

Clint - W5CPT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: