Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: astron rs-35m manual  (Read 10639 times)
NR1H

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:44:58 AM »

I would like to have a copy or photocopy of the operating manual for the Astron rs35m.  I am more than willing to pay any cost involved.  
Thanks,
Norm
NR1H
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/astron/all

scroll down and select your model
KH6TS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »

Alas, the above link is not a manual, it's a schematic. After chasing this information for several days and finding dozens of copies of the same schematic, I'm thinking there is no "user manual" for the RS-35M.
KH6TS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

Source for rebuild info and adjustments
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:faOf39ghoO0J:www.bwcelectronics.com/articles/WP20A190.PDF+Astron+RS+-+35m+manual&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj6RGSvyCDMQVecqCqoxn5I37c4e1k9Fdxq_Ve_LOn9tKJLvj_Wi1FAJnA3J9k_TXy962rUo6Sx8LgE_WGnW2xVxX2triEZU1Sd5M_eGuK8nD7Ks7ykQilrGudJuzhkAYf7pHXM&sig=AHIEtbTb4GuNA_wMNjQW1Q40nsfQknHiAQ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »

5730:  Great find!  Thanks for sharing.
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »

You can contact Astron, they have helped me with some technical issues I ran across.  Call them and perhaps they can provide documentation also.  A schematic is about all one would need though..

GL
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »

Hey Norm, did you find a manual?  I have one and would see about making you a copy if need be.  I think I asked Astron and they sent me a copy.  You might see if they can help you too.  If all else fails contact me at

swduncan57@juno.com

cheers, scott.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »

Not trying to be funny, but if you don't need the schematic, the power supply is kind of self-explanatory.

1. Switch on front turns the power supply on and off.
2. Voltmeter on front indicates output voltage.
3. Ammeter on front indicates amperage being drawn.
4. On the rear of the power supply, one post is positive
and the other post is negative. Red wires all go to positive,
and black wires all go to negative.
5. Don't put anything on top of or close to the sides of the
power supply because that will cause it to get too hot.
6. Don't place two Astron power supplies side-by-side
because weird things will happen. (A friend of mine said his
Yaesu FT-920 squealed on transmit until he moved his two
RS-35M power supplies a couple of feet apart.
7. If there's a blown fuse, replace it. If it continues to blow,
have your equipment checked by a qualified technician.
8. Don't open the housing unless you're qualified to do so.
9. Don't operate the power supply in a wet environment.
10. If it gets too hot, turn it off.
11. If it catches on fire, leave the area first, then call the
fire department.
12. Their warranty isn't going to help you if you do stupid
stuff like try to weld with it.

All common-sense stuff, I believe.

73, -WY3X
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »

Not trying to be funny, but if you don't need the schematic, the power supply is kind of self-explanatory.

This is an issue with the RS-35A or RS-35M which have the voltage adjust pot inside the power supply (R5).  If you want to set the output voltage to something other than the factory pre-set level, you need to remove the cover to do that.

Mine always came with the pre-set about 13.5V, and I bump them up to 14.0V, so I always need to access that pot!  The slightly higher voltage allows for 0.5V drop in cables and fuse holders external to the supply, and also lets the pass transistors run slightly cooler under load.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:49:21 AM »

There is a small 13 page booklet that Astron calls a "service manual".  Its extremely handy as it contains the alignment procedure for the three "X" resistors (R1, R3 and R7) whose final value is determined in test for each specific supply.  These resistors set the Foldback Current and the Crowbar trip voltage.  Normally these don't need to be reset unless components in one of those sections have been replaced (including the regulator IC).  I got my copies from Astron (albeit reluctantly) and, apparently they don't have a manual for every model but they do have one for the "35" series.  Give Astron a call to see if they still have them.
Tom DGN
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 12:57:39 AM »

WY3X said "Not trying to be funny,..."

You succeeded beyond your wildest dreams!  You also forgot to explain the Foldback current adjustment and the Crowbar trigger adjustments.  Perhaps you'd care to explain those?
Tom DGN
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »

7. If there's a blown fuse, replace it. If it continues to blow,
have your equipment checked by a qualified technician.

All common-sense stuff, I believe.

Very funny!  A guy needs help and you give him this BS!  Apparently you send all of your stuff back for repair; have a guru that fixes it for you or you're "qualified" to repair stuff yourself.  This is fine if any of these are your preference.

Most hams prefer to repair their own gear if possible, especially something as simple as a power supply. 

Unfortunately, you are spot on when it comes to transceivers and some linear amplifiers.  Our lust for the mega-featured gear has effectively made us appliance operators.  Ham radio has suffered because of this.  But..... this is progress.

One day we shall be referred to as "Ham Radio Operators," not Hams.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: