Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call sign on license plate- good or bad?  (Read 3618 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 09:59:47 PM »

"the big thing in Atlanta Georgia is the smash and grab car robbery of your Front Dash mounted Nava-Computer. Break window, grab Nava-Computer, grab Garage opener on your sunvisor, split, turn on, press HOME and off they go"

Clever.

Good thing I remember where my house is by myself ;-)

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »

I've had ham plates on my cars for over 40 years without any unpleasant issues.  

I am even able to get my call on the plates of my company car, which is my main vehicle and not registered in my name.  

Missouri has always embraced the "slash zero" for ham license plates, and this year, we are happy to see that Missouri has replaced the words "Show-Me State" with "Amateur Radio" on our ham plates.

I get the chance to explain ham radio to many curious folks at the gas station, car wash and parking lot when they inquire "what's WOOF-EM mean?"

73 de Terry, WØFM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »

hi,

we could put the address of the local
police station in the HOME field ?

Never, ever leave that remote control
on the visor !

73 james
N8TCZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »

With all the vanity plates now in circulation I don't think a burgler would know what the letters meant.
BUT, here in Georgia the plate is FREE!!  And you don't have to pay the $20 license fee ever again as long as you maintain you amateur license.  You still have to pay property tax each year but you would have to pay that anyway.  Net result you save $20 each car license renewal.  I believe the reason for the free tag is that amateurs provide (in most cases) emergency radio service to them for free and this is a way for the state to reimburse for the service.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »

>>>For those living on the ragged edge of paranoia, please do not get call sign plates, do not give out your name, do not get an amateur radio license, do not get a driver's license, do not put antennas on your vehicle, do not put your call letters ANYWHERE anyone can read them.

DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE!   For the rest, enjoy life.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

PS - I have yet to read of a single instance of someone using a call sign license plate to locate a house and burgle it.

Lon, You forgot--do not use your call on e-Ham, use an alias.  ;-)

73,  Chris  

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »

In Massachusetts, the fees are $36 plus a $5 paperwork fee every two years for regular plates.  For the 'vanity' ham plates, there is a $20 plate application/ manufacture fee, (non-refundable) a $40 per year registration fee and a $5 paperwork fee.

Total for the first year--$65, and $45 every year after, more than twice the fee for a regular plate, and the plates mean nothing to the cops, not even "Here is somebody that probably helps us out once in a while".

I don't need 'em that bad, and the state gets too much of my money already.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »

Chris:

<< Lon, You forgot--do not use your call on e-Ham, use an alias. ;->>

I didn't want to make it sound TOO heavy. <gg>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1SMM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

If yolu want to meet lots of idiots, put er on there.

Jack
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 04:17:03 AM »

A call plate could help if you ever have occasion to be at an emergency sceen by giving area control personnel a way to believe you're part of the solution not a gawker and part of the problem. Antennas, radio, call plate on the vehicle, ID for yourself (you do have your license with you when you operate mobile -- don't you?) ......... yep you're a responder there to help.

Here in FL you cannot get a handicap ham plate -- you have to choose handicap or ham since they stamp blanks for them. Why they stamp a blank and then stamp the numbers instead of just setting up the press and doing it once is anyone's guess. However you can get a handicap vanity plate. So my "name" on my plate is W4FID. Cost was low and I have a legimate handicap designation so no one can think I am using my dead grandmother's hang on the mirror card.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »

>>>A call plate could help if you ever have occasion to be at an emergency sceen by giving area control personnel a way to believe you're part of the solution not a gawker and part of the problem. Antennas, radio, call plate on the vehicle, ID for yourself (you do have your license with you when you operate mobile -- don't you?) ......... yep you're a responder there to help.<<<

Not all the time--unfortunately the whackers have gotten there and snafu-ed that.  Now the cops aren't sure if you're there to help--or just get in the way.  Add to that the admonition of quite a few of the em-comm groups, not to self-activate, and you've got a class one standoff situation.  They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 06:54:21 AM »

John:

<< A call plate could help if you ever have occasion to be at an emergency sceen by giving area control personnel a way to believe you're part of the solution not a gawker and part of the problem. Antennas, radio, call plate on the vehicle, ID for yourself (you do have your license with you when you operate mobile -- don't you?) ......... yep you're a responder there to help. >>

If you really believe that, you are (1) living in a dream world or (2) living in a very small town where everyone knows your name. Seeing that you live in Ocala, number 2 doesn't apply.

The overwhelming majority of law enforcement personnel have no clue what a ham call sign plate is. To them, it's simply another vanity tag. Neither do they have a clue as to what all the antennas are for. To them, you're just another gawker with a load of antennas - "Hey, Charlie, look at all those dumb CB antennas." Unless you are personally known to the officer, your ham call sign plates will get you no where.

When I was living in Dallas, I was responsible for my agency's disaster response unit. This was a 21' mobile feeding unit and field kitchen that was plastered with our logo: front, rear, sides and top. It responded to every fire that went to a second alarm, and was dispatched by the fire department as one of its numbered units. On more than one occasion, I - or whoever was driving it - was denied access to the fire ground until the officer manning the road block contacted fire dispatch for permission to let me pass. The officer on the scene was simply not familiar with me or my agency's relationship with the fire department.

If one of the largest disaster response agencies occasionally gets denied access until someone higher up clears their entry, what makes you think Joe Ham with a call sign plate and six antennas is going to be waved through?

The ONLY real reasons hams (including me!) have call sign plates is to (1) feed our egos and (2) identify ourselves to other hams. Any other reason is delusional.

BTW: << yep you're a responder there to help>>

Hams are not responders, we are support personnel, and then only if dispatched by competent authority. Otherwise, we are simply gawkers with a false sense of self-importance.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 07:05:40 AM »

Years ago the ham plate might have gotten you in. Post 9-11 being a ham is not likely to get you into the site unless you have been cleared ahead of time and have the appropriate ID. That generally means that you need to be a part of ARES or some organized group that has a working relationship with the police and other first responders.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »

During my early years in Las Vegas, the formula for the automobile license plates was:  one or two letters designating the county.  "C"=Clark County, "WP"=White Pine County and so forth.  The letter/letters was followed by a 3, then 4 and finally 5 digit number issued sequentially in each county.

So when I noticed a few plates that started with "W7" followed by more letters instead of numbers, I asked my dad what they were.  He told me they were "ham radio".  "The State Police can stop you if there's a forest fire and you'll have to help with the emergency radio stuff."

First time I ever heard of "ham radio".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: