Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many for sale?  (Read 543 times)
WX7K

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »

I have noted in the various classified venues that there seems to be a lot of Electcraft and IC-706IIG radios for sale. Many seem to be less than a year old. Is there a problem with these rigs or is it just personal preference? I have looked at the K3 and it seems to be a really nice radio. Same with the 706, although much less expensive. Can't understand why someone would spend the money only to sell it within a few months for a loss.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »

hi,

times are tough for many people so they
may not have time to operate or need the cash.

Some enjoy the radio and then upgrade to the
next model up.

I agree, great radios.

73 james
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:37:04 PM »

"Can't understand why someone would spend the money only to sell it within a few months for a loss. "

Seems to me looking at some classifieds for things like K3's that people are saying (this was the last one I looked at) :

"paid $3700, I'll let it go for $3400"  That's an 8% discount.

If you just buy a K3 from Elecraft and send it back you'll spend 10% just to restock it.  

So you buy a K3, put it together, try it out for six months (vs. 30 days to return to Elecraft), and maybe you don't like it, you sell it for less than the restocking fee (which I don't think you can necessarily even do in the case of a K3, at least a not-prebuilt one).  

Maybe since you bought it, you're feeling like you'd rather have an IC-7700... who knows?

I think you can sell a good-condition K3 for very little loss because it takes so long to get one if you put in an order with Elecraft.  

- - - - - -

Cheaper rigs like the IC-706, I think, might be complexity of menus... everyone knows they've got menus, but some are better or worse for some people than others.  If you're still fumbling with it after six months, you might want to try something different.

These might go for a little more of a loss, but I keep asking $600 for their used FT-857Ds which I can get for $690 or so new.

- - - - - -

Anyway, I think a lot of people are willing to drop 10% of the cost of a radio on a year-long test drive... I probably would be someday.  The losses aren't too steep for popular radios, especially the ones that are limited in availability.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:29:48 AM »

Here's a different slant. Most of the used Elecraft ads are for the older K2. That sort of speaks for itself.

The same can be said about the IC-706 in its various guises. It is, beyond doubt, the single most popular amateur radio ever! Icom has sold well over 70,000 of them! At it current sales pace, the IC-7000 might actually outsell the 706. If you put the two side by side, you'd know why folks are dumping the 706s on the used market. That's what I did with the two I owned.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »

I end up with a different HF radio about every 6 months. I like to try different rigs. And I don't have enough room to keep everything I would like to.
Nor the finances to continue to purchase a new rig twice a year.

Rght now I am using a FT-897D. In about 3 months I will be selling it and getting a 7000. After that I'm not sure.

I don't smoke, my radio room/office is total electric which eleiminates gas heat yellowing and stays clean. So when I sell something is looks as it did when first removed from the box.

For me it's just a case of trying different things. And in the end I rarely loose much money. I had a 706mkiig that I played with for about 7 months and sold it for $60.00 less than I paind for it new. So that worked out to a bit less than $10.00 a month. I guess it sort of like renting Smiley

C r a i g
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »

Craig,

"eleiminates gas heat yellowing and stays clean."

How does gas heat yellow equipment? I understand what you mean by the yellowing and I've always wondered way it happens in some situation and not others. But I'm curious why gas heating causes this. My furnice is two stories away from my office and connected only to the office with 2 1/2" water pipes. How could the difference between gas, oil, or electric matter?

Bernie
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:38:57 AM »

Re: Gas Heat Yellowing

As far as I can tell, the yellowing is caused by the Mercaptan in the gas which is used as an odorant in natural gas.

The local gas company insists this is not the case but has yet to say exactally what the cause it.

Local environmental conditions paly a roll too. Such as draft, combustion air etc.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »

I think you're meaning natural gas/forced hot air.  My gas furnace uses gravity fed hot water--no yellowing seen.  In some cases, forced hot air will leave a yellow film because of the high temperature the air in subjected to in the furnace heat box and the usual contaminants found in room air.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:10:53 AM »

The 7000s are a hot item now, so lots of hams are grabbing them and dumping their old 706s.
K2ID

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »

The answer to your question is very easy. The 706 is by far the biggest selling rig in amateur radio. It stands to reason if there are more 706's bought, you will see more sold used.

As for the Elecraft, someone already answered that. The ones I see for sale are the K2's which are being replaced by the K3.

In general, people either sell because they need money or like to play with different radios. I fall in the latter category. In a 12 month period I went through about 12 or more rigs including buying and selling the same models two or three times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: