Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olson SWR Meter  (Read 1092 times)
W8CTO

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »

I picked up an Olson SWR/field strength meter at an "antique" shop this weekend. I only paid $5.50 for it. There is a single sheet of instructions in the box. But, it didn't say anything about the field strength funtion. The model number is CB-67. This leads me to think that it's for CB radio use.

I have only been a ham for a few months now. Still learning as I go. I tried an online search for info and came up with nothing. Well, except one Canadian site that had one for sale at $5.50! So, does anyone have any info on this meter? Maybe a complete set of instructions?

Thanks,

Cliff
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »

Hi Cliff!

Boy, that brings  back some memories.  I used to work for them in the Tampa Bay area in the late 70s! Sold a bunch of those!!

There should have been a short antenna that screws into a metal receptacle on the front panel. It will then show relative power on the meter. If you didn't get one of those with yours, you can use an alligator clip jumper in its place.

Be sure to take the antenna or alligator jumper off before doing SWR checks.

To do SWR checks, be sure to hook up the antenna and radio to the correct sockets on the sides of the meter. Then place the switch on the front panel to FWD (Forward), key the transmitter, and then slide the potentiometer on the front panel until the meter's needle is on the calibrate mark (I think that is what it was called). This mark is near the right side of the meter. Once calibrated, move the switch to REF (Reflected) and read the SWR on the meter.

The meter is designed to work from 3.5 to 30 MHz. I actually used one on two meters, but it wasn't that accurate.

Hope this helps!

73!

Will Rogers
W4WLR
W8CTO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »

Thanks Will. I currently have a 2M and a CB radio. So, I guess I can use it on the CB. Thanks for the info. BTW, it did come with an antenna.

Cliff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: