Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Overseas  (Read 535 times)
WX7K

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:06:21 AM »

I have refrained from buying overseas, and even from Canada because I have no idea what the customs procedures are.  I did see one eBay item where the seller indicated he would fill out the paperwork as a gift, which I assume is an illegal practice.  Most don't adress it.  Not knowing how much customs will be, I have no way of computing a final price for items so will not know if I am getting a "good deal" or not.  Can someone tell me how customs works, both if I buy from a private party or from a business.  
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:07:47 AM »

This does not address you question but I though I would share it. I am in Kentucky

I bought a Rega Planet CD deck from a chap in Canada. It took 5 weeks to arrive.

I bought a Kantronics KAMxl from GTMO. It took 4 weeks to arrive.

I exchanged shortwave radios with a chap in France. Total turnaround, 7 days.

C r a i g
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »

Hi,
I buy from non European sellers all the time. Customs in the US is probably different than EU, but the general idea should be the same...

Anything that gets imported from outside the EU will be taxed if the cost exceeds about 60 Euro (80 USD). If what is sent is a "Gift" than there is no tax, same goes for used equipment imported as "parts" ect.

This usually works with no problems, but shipments from the far east sometimes get checked regardless of how the customs label is marked...

A falsely marked customs label is a gamble, it may work, and it may not, in the second case you will end up paying for the tax plus probably a fine...

Demetre - SV1ENS

OLDGEEZER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »

I'm in Canada, i have brought in a fair amount of stuff by mail.If the seller is co-operative he may mark it as gift, value $20.00 others play it straight and i have been caught with Customs duties..

It's an individual situation but importing to Canada is best done by US mail as most of those "slide right thru"

Couriers check everything as there is money in it for them, It's called a processing fee here in Canada and can run as high as $40.00

So i trust the good old US Mail and the Canadian mail going to the US

Regards;
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: