Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-2000 Shottky Diode Reciever Mod  (Read 7619 times)
KB3MMX

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »

Has anyone performed this mod on a TS-2000......?

http://www.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-2000-bandpass-filters-modification.php

It is suppodesed to greatly quiet the noise in the reciever of the rig.
 I was tld by AES that it wouldn't make a difference in the noise floor...BUT they said the have never heard of the mod either.

Just curious, it looks like a relatively inexpensive mod that could give the reciever a lower noise floor.

Thanks,
         Chuck
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »

Crap, sorry about the spelling errors.....
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 08:02:21 AM »

I have to admit, I can't imagine how this would make any difference.  On HF, your receiver noise is pretty much dominated by atmospheric noise (and locally generated noise) - not by the kTB receiver-generated noise.  And the kTB receiver-generated noise is dominated by the noise figure of the stages ahead of these diodes and the filter bandwidth, not by the diodes themselves.

Of course, I could be wrong.  But I don't think so.

Phil - AD5X
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »

I looked at the before and after spectrum charts at the mod website. To me, the after spectrum looks just like the before spectrum, only with the ZERO line raised up 50%. Phrasing it another way- the after photo lookes like the before photo, but with around 3 db of attenuation thrown in. That would certainly cut down the noise.... as well as the signal.

Personally, I think if such a cheap and easy mod would make that much of a difference in receiver performance, the factory would have done it in the first place!

Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »

I don't believe the mod...it may be a prank.

I notice the modification has no author, no photographs verifying what he did...pretty much no "nothing" other than "change all these diodes" and the sound card output trace, which is meaningless.

There are very believable mods on the same website, including ones for the TS-2000: They have authors.

WB2WIK/6
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 11:30:52 AM »

That's pretty much what I was wondering about....

Not that I am unhappy with the TS-2000 by a long shot( !! ), but everything can be improved somewhat and I was curious about this perticular mod.

Thanks All,

Chuck
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:02:25 AM »

I did it and it works although its not for the faint at heart, its all surface mount stuff so you need a good soldinering station, good eye sight and a very steady hand
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 07:04:45 AM »

Just an additional note, there have been times after the mod I had the squelch off and had to click key a repeater to see if the radio was on, mine is very quiet although I wouldnt want to do that again
N7BUI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »

I've done the diode mod to two TS-2000's and the improvement in each was pretty dramatic.  I've since sold one of them to a previous TS-2000 owner and even he commented on how quiet the receiver was compared to his old radio.

Far from a prankster, the author is very active on the Yahoo TS-2000 group though for his privacy I won't repeat his call here.  Just join the group and search for the diode mod.  You'll find the original author there.  

And I don't understand the comment by one poster here that the diagrams displayed on the mod were meaningless.  They show a before and after shot of the level of white noise at the rear audio port before the audio amp.  This was his way of showing the improvement without the added hiss of the amp.

I have pictures that I've taken of the diodes that need to changed out.  I just havn't gotten the time to write up a document to suppliment the original mod yet.  

I guess proof is in the puddin' and you just have to believe all of the antidotes that people have posted who have done the mod.  

W4NHJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 07:08:11 PM »

I have a TS2000 and love it, but the receiver noise on CW was very bad, SSB noise was not too bad.  I compared the TS2K to the FT-2000 at the candy store.  The FT was so much quieter I had thoughts of selling the TS2K.  One day while experimenting, I found that if I used the receiver the way we did years ago, most of the noise was gone.

When I first got into Ham Radio, we would turn up the AF gain and ride the RF gain with the AGC turned off.  I tried this and bata bing, noise gone.  Give it a try.

I think that one or more gain states in the receiver is set way too hot.  It will take someone smarter then me to find the stage(s)and figure how to crank them down.

Frank
KL7SB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »

Hi Frank:

I've been having the same problem and have posted about it on another thread.  I don't understand how pinning the AF gain, then riding the RF gain with AGC would help.  Yes it would reduce noise, but wouldn't it also attenuate signals?
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »

>...we would turn up the AF gain and ride the RF gain with the AGC turned off.  I tried >this and bata bing, noise gone.  Give it a try.

Cool tricks like this were only supposed to be told in the Elmers forum !! Smiley

Yes...it's called FGC ( Finger Gain Control -freshly made up!)
Best understood after you give it a try.

Dimitri

K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »

Hi Frank:

I've been having the same problem and have posted about it on another thread.  I don't understand how pinning the AF gain, then riding the RF gain with AGC would help.  Yes it would reduce noise, but wouldn't it also attenuate signals?

Actually if done correctly, this procedure will (to some extent) improve the S/N ratio of many receivers.

Wayne
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 07:21:37 AM »

I recently stumbled accross this thread after I obtained an Kenwood TS-2000x.

The HF RX is NOISY!---has anyone done this diode mod?.
I would love to hear more detail / pics, especially from N7BUI..
The russian link to the mod is down I see..
I also see the BAR43 diodes are available.

Please help, my new rig is great except for the terrible HISSSSSSSS!..

Many Thanks in Advance!.

73 de William
ZS5WC / ZS4L
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »

ZS5WC, have you done the mod? I don't have any Hiss in my RX but I haven't done the mod yet....still waiting to hear more about it.

KB3MMX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: