Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The" place for used rigs online?  (Read 1371 times)
KE6WNH

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »

I won't deal with Ebay because of a technical problem, and when I tried Craig's List, there didn't seem to be much there in the way of ham gear. When I first got my ticket in '95, there used to be a mag called Amateur Radio Trader, and boy do I wish they were still around... I'd love to go to Dayton but my understanding is that the hamvention is not every weekend, and I live only about 10 miles from the TRW swap meet, but the selection of used gear there is hit-or-miss (I rarely see 6m gear there, and almost nothing for 1.25m). There must be some site I've yet to find, which is THE site for buying/selling/swapping used gear, but it continues to elude me.

I only ask because I'm looking for a used 70cm mobile to supplement my pre-UHF 706 base station, and maybe a 1.25m later on.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »

eBay
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »

QTH.com, QRZ.com, and right here on eHam.net are pretty good, but you're still dealing with "internet sellers" and usually buying stuff sight-unseen.

You can sort eBay ads by "proximity" (like "within 50 miles of...") and I might consider doing that, so you are exposed to a large number of sellers but selecting only those close enough to go look at and try out the equipment before concluding the deal.  

Anybody who says I can't come look the gear over before bidding on it is somebody I wouldn't buy anything from.

WB2WIK/6
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »

Of "the big three" online (Eham, QRZ and QTH....), I have to state that QTH.com is simply the best.

I've been buying and selling there for over a decade!  Not a single problem to report.

And you don't have to wait around forever when making a sale like you do on Ebay.  I've sold rigs within MINUTES of posting when using QTH.com.

73, Bill - WA8MEA
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »

Hey, thanks! I'll definitely look into QTH and see if anyone has what I'm looking for. Also paid a visit to a nearby liquidation store today and found a few ham-modifiable goodies which even beat the TRW swap meet in price.
AF6G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:25 PM »

I have not bought or sold on it and there isn't much ham gear listed, but take a look at:

http://secondhandradio.com/

73 de Joe, AF6G
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:36:09 AM »

I also 2nd the motion about QTH.COM --- they have a good place to check "FeedBack Listings" on sellers using the site, and I have found it a pleasure dealing with many honest Hams, who list their items online there.

Overall: I have been very pleased with dealings there for years. God Bless and 73 8-)

Jerry

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:04:20 AM »

Martin,

I'm curious, what is you "technical problem" with Ebay?

Bernie
WB9JTK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

"What's the problem with ebay?"  Everyone that has tried to sell on ebay in the last couple of months knows that. The newest hassle is that they coerce you into using paypal and paypal will hold your money for up to 90 days.  And you cannot leave negative feedback about buyers anymore.

On SecondHandRadio.com you can upload a dozen photos of your item, no charge.  And you do not have to post your email address or phone number publicly.  It has a email function so interested parties can contact the seller.  Then the seller can decide how to contact the buyer.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »

I have done business with sellers on eham  and QRZ and never had a problem. eham most often and have done very well. My FT-736 smiles everytime I fire it up thanks to 3 eham gentelmen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: