Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting here with absolutely nothing to do...  (Read 333 times)
N5LRZ

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

Just sitting around the house thinking of anything trivial having absolutely nothing otherwise to do.  A dangerous thing for myself.

Just sitting here playing with a few numbers that I ran across: the numbers for licensed amateurs currently holding (not necessarily active) amateur radio licenss.  I do stuff like that when I have abolutely nothing else to do and TV sucks pond scum.  Then it clicked!!!!  All amateurs are ELITE--some a bit more than others  but all elite from a 100% purely number analysis POV.  

A little number excrcise for you, get the current numbers for the total number of people issued and still holding valid amateur licenses.  Get the Census Bureau numbers for the population of the United States.

OF COURSE not all ameteurs are active and the census is not completely accurate either, but they will serve as passable points of reference.

Divide the total amateurs by the total population of the US and convert that number answer to a percentage representation of the total population of the US.  You will note that the percentage of amateurs relative to the US Population (the number of amateurs per 1000 people in the census for example) at the given time you obtained your data is damn small.  

Think on it for a while throwing out all vestage of religious morality and ethics thinking strictly and only as a comuter would think if it could think devoid of all human emotional bias.  We are the elite, so to speak, tested few as seen from an entirely/strictly statistical number point of view.

Now I am looking for some more numbers to play with.  I wonder what other math marvels I can find in the stastics. Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: