Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laws for id  (Read 1223 times)
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

OO's like that are just showing off.  As long as you give your call in the last 10 seconds or so of your last transmission, there should be no problem.  If you get another OO notice, email your district OO coordinator.
NN4F

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »

>This is very confusing. He seems so serius and he has >the whole fcc rulebook memorized. On the local >repeters I will just make the last thing I say my >call but on my first hf contact it may be a different >story. He also says it is illegal to say kd8fdd >mobile or portable. Or listening. 73's  

Sounds like an over-zealous OO to me trying to scare a young new ham. And it would be an OO ticket not an FCC ticket.

I would stay well clear of this guy, and if he sends you any more "tickets" for something so trivial, then I would contact his section manager and inform them.

Welcome to Ham Radio and remember have FUN!!

KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

RIGHT FROM PART 97
 Notice it must be at the end of "communications" not at the end of the sentence.

===================================

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every ten minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;
(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;

(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;

(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of §73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission.

(c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

(d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

(e) When the operator license class held by the control operator exceeds that of the station licensee, an indicator consisting of the call sign assigned to the control operator's station must be included after the call sign.

(f) When the control operator who is exercising the rights and privileges authorized by §97.9(b) of this Part, an indicator must be included after the call sign as follows:

(1) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice to Technician Class: KT;
(2) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice, Technician or Technician Plus Class to General Class: AG;

(3) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice, Technician, Technician Plus, General, or Advanced Class operator to Amateur Extra Class: AE.

(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of §97.107 of this part, an indicator consisting of the appropriate letter-numeral designating the station location must be included before the call sign that was issued to the station by the country granting the license. For an amateur service license granted by the Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included after the call sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the identification announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state, commonwealth or possession.

-====================================

Hope this helps as it is actually a common misconception that the callsign must be the last thing out of your mouth, as it clearly is not the case according to the rules.

KB3MMX
AB8E

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »

Thank You... finally some one that can read... The word "END" is there for a reason... Now who is an Idiot...
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:35 AM »

FCC Rules and Regs require ID every 10 min and at the end of the conversation.  The rules and regs do not state any specific required wording as far as I am aware of.

Its just a phrase.  Nothing at all to get all excited about.  

N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

Actually close but not quite, there are a couple of exceptions…

When it comes to phone modes you are correct in that ones call every 10min and at the end in either voice or CW.  

But there are a few legal amateur modes where call signs are not required to be given in the clear/open at all.  Using digital modes such as PSK, RTTY and such the call can be included in the computer generated transmission message as part of the tones being transmitted and still be legal.   When using image modes such as SSTV you have to only include your call sign in the picture you are sending.   However almost all amateurs opt to use the auto CW Id that comes with the digital and or image software as a general courtesy—being able to read the code when sent that fast is of course another story.

Example: I do a great deal of SSTV on the low bands, over 4000 picture transmissions and counting.  My only legal requirement per FCC Regs is that I include my call sign as part of the picture.  I do not have to transmit my call in voice or CW at all.  So if you heard my picture being sent you would have to have the software and proper computer interface to even read my call sign and I would still be completely legal.  But I transmit it anyway both in front of and at the end of each picture using the programs CW ID, just because.

The reason I mentioned this is that as you start to use other modes such as digital modes and image modes as you move up the license ladder be sure to actually read the FCC Rules and Regs word for word as it relates to IDing.
AB8E

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 06:57:35 AM »

Raymond,

I do understand exactly what you are trying to explain.

They are all exceptions to the rule. We all know what the FCC Rule #[97.119(a)], states.
I cant see where it states anything about the mode you decide to use...

I don't like peeing higher on the wall than the next guy.
This is a very sore topic.The thing about Hams & Bad Preachers are;
they somehow end up twisting words to suit there needs.

So with that being said the case is closed. All we have to do is read, what it states.
You can dance around all day long but it will never change the rule.. Sorry

If you are driving down the road, and you come to the "END" of the road at a cliff,
I hope you stop not keep going to try to prove a point.... The end is the end.. I'm done

kk
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »

RE AB8E...

Well first off feel free to call me by my more common name--Ray.

The rules are the rules and they are what they are and we as mere license holders have ablolutely no legal right to interpret those rules.  That lies strictly with the boss, The FCC.

If WE as licensed amateurs do not like the rules we have two options: we can request change or if failing that we can turn in our license for cancelation.

BUT there are circumstances where those very sacred FCC Rules and Regs are completely worthless.  I specificly site Field Day and just about all the very major Contests where stomping each other to death and the illegal allowance of permitting non licensed persons to transmit is all to common.

While Some things end, some things NEVER end.  SOME things like the energizer bunny keep on going on and on and on.

As to pizzing contests I have and will always strive to be the top P mark on the wall.  In fact my entire life has been and will always be the based on the position of 'I am superior to you' ism.  Anyone not likeing it I truly do not give a damn.  
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »

Re AB8E....

Re ARRL Web Site.
Search Part 97

FCC Rules and Regs

Station Identification
Paragraph (B)
Sec 3
Sec 4

And I qoute...

(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;

(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of §73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission.

Thus my statement ID via voice and/or CW ID is not required.  

The thing about the rules and regs is that they are always changing.  Everyone should from time to time skim thru the rules and regs to see what the FCC changes.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: