Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racism has no place in ham radio  (Read 1639 times)
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »

Re JT...

OOPS I forgot...  

The rules governing amateur radio differ from country to coutnry.  The FCC Rules and Regs go not apply in Canada.  Canadas licensing agency rules do not apply to the US.  Each country has their own unique rules and regulations as determined by that particular country.

So rules over there are the rules over there.  Our rules do not apply at all.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 05:06:06 AM »

PB I hate to tell ya this but the person you quoted is as dead as the radio envirinment he lived in. Todays radio environement is entirely different than even 10 years ago much less 1920 something.
------------------------------------------------------
So that means that his advice is not good or that it doesn't apply today??? I hate to tell ya but most of the decent standards people live by today were first expressed by those who are long since gone. That doesn't make them any less applicable to todays environment. If more people followed them then the environment would be much nicer.

N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »

Re PB..

I site for my side the following undenyable proof.

A> Major Contests--All major contests have one common thing in common--WINNING IS EVERYTHING for those who play the game seriously.  Only the scoreboard matters to those who play the game of contesting seriously.  Being 'Nice' is NOT a good thing in contesting.

B> DX Contacts/especally RARE contacts--All rules of sanity go out the window on the rare location contacts.  Being a "Mary Poppins" means your chances of being heard over the Big Dog stations having superior power and antennnas.

Competition has always been the hallmark of Amateur Radio when it comes to contests for contact.  

So it has been, so it is, so it will forever be.  I have absolutely no problem with that.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:47 PM »

Re PB...

fyi purposes only...

I am a hard core zelot (you might say) pure capitalist atheist.  I completely reject in entirety all religious morality.  I follows the laws passed by man in accordance with formalized procedure under the law.

Just thought you should know to save you wasted effort on the morality argument.
K6RB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »

Bob, I agree with you. Call us naive, or maybe old fashioned, but when civility is apparent it tends to evoke civility. And, when it's not, you end up with an environment in which no one enjoys living.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »

Re RB....

An interesting comment...

I will take it at face value and ask this question based on that face value reading...

IF someone you treat as "Civil" per your wording decides not to be "Civil".  What then??

I am reminded of the reply of Fredrich Douglas, the freed slave who drummed up support in the north for the fighting of the Civil War as an abolitionist.  When asked after the Civil War by a young person of color what they should do with their life?  Ol Fred said: Adgitate, adgitate, adgitate.

Not exactly what one would call being civil keeping in mind that it was ol Fred who was one (among others) of the moral beacons of the Abolitionist Movement.

Ya have to remember that there are those who do not reciprocate in kind.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »

Bottom line:

The behavior of the entire world population has changed drastically over the years.  It is not just a change in the behavior of ham radio operators.  And, while considerably more civil than some, we hams are not immune to it.

Terry, WØFM
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »

N5LRZ said, "I am reminded of the reply of Fredrich Douglas, the freed slave who drummed up support in the north for the fighting of the Civil War as an abolitionist. When asked after the Civil War by a young person of color what they should do with their life? Ol Fred said: Adgitate, adgitate, adgitate.

Not exactly what one would call being civil keeping in mind that it was ol Fred who was one (among others) of the moral beacons of the Abolitionist Movement."

I don't follow your logic.  Just because the Civil War was over did not mean there were still injustices remaining that needed to be addressed.  I see nothing wrong with Mr. Douglas' statement, which I believe was, "Agitate, agitate, agitate."  There were then, and still are issues that are best addressed by being an agitator.  It's quite the American tradition too.

Vince
N0YXB

Vince
W7IBI

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »

Three Romanians walked into a bar.
Two of them insulted the third.
Big deal! Happens every day in every country.
So what.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »

I dislike everybody who isn't  exactly like me.

Oh, nuts, I just saw myself in a mirror, and now I don't even like me.

Damn.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 01:07:17 PM »

It's not good that we somehow think good behavior on the internet is less important than on the Amateur bands.

A person is who he is, and a habit of rude or poor behavior on the internet implies that his polite behavior on the Amateur bands is merely acting.

And free speech does not mean personal verbal attacks are OK.

Didn't this discussion happen about 6,000 times on here already?

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

Three Amateurs walked into a bar.

The fourth Amateur ducked.
N3PRZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »

All sounds made up and posted just to get a rise out of folks.  

I always did like the fact you can't see the person behind the radio on the other side of the conversation.  Other than a call sign sign (if DX), very easy to not know what color they are, or anything else that might classify them.  Radio is a pretty good equalizer in that regard.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: