Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Bye to Ebay-Hams should boycott- CB Amplifier  (Read 1488 times)
WB2FTX

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:06:40 AM »

Well, I finally had enough angst dealing with their "policy" on illegal CB amplifiers. in the past year I have personally reported over 2,000 (yes I kept records) of the illegal CB amplifiers being sold and advertised as 10 meter ham units... One of the sellers actually said that his amp was not for use, only for educational purposes.

If Ebay removes a listing, it's back there within several hours. They obviously don't keep records of flagrant violators of their policy... Case in point, I have three times reported one user by telephone call to Trust & Safety who has typically 10 or 20 of these things listed at any given time.  He is also a Ebay "power seller." Despite making multiple points to the EBay trust and safety person as to why these amplifiers do not comply with FCC regulations they continue to let this individual list and sell these illegal amplifiers. Let EBay cater to the CB market,
I, for one, will never again use their site.

Calling on all hams to consider a boycott of EBAY for their failure to enforce their own policies.. Alternatively express you feelings and get them to stop listing any RF amplifiers for sale. I realize that penalizes a few good hams but in reality over 50% of the amplifiers listed in the Ebay ham radio section are illegal CB amplfiers. And don't think that those amplifier sellers are unaware that what they are doing is illegal.

There are many more ham friendly classified sites available like eHam and QRZ.com that also don't price gouge the sellers on posting fees and seller fees

Dave Struebel WB2FTX
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »

I too have reported same.... Only to see the listing relisted with the description changed.  

Ex: High Power Linear Amp. 8 pill. Will swing better than a gallon. THIS IS FOR AMATEUR RADIO USE ONLY IN THE 10/11 METER BANDS.

And, that satisfies eBay's requirment. Frankly I am in the final stages of my eBay "experence" I have bought and sold on eBay since 2001 (or 2002 can't remember) with zero buyer/seller problems. The bug up my ass is eBay's damn near daily policy changes. The most recent gripe is that a buyer can only receive positive feedback. Whay happens when some little shit buys, say a HF rig, for which he only needs a few parts. Then after scavanged, he wants to send it back. Now it returned, it's been dicked with, parts missing, and eBay or Paypal does nothing.. You are screwed..

Right now, on eBay, the buyer can pretty much clean your clock with no retribution.

Sorry... I probably should have kept my mouth shut but I rarely do that when I get hacked off.

73 Craig

ps; transactions (although few) here on eHam have been excellent.
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »

Well it does seem a bit loaded in favour of buyers..

I came up with a list - the magnificent 7 deadly eBay sins -

http://g-eight-ubj.blogspot.com/2007/03/spam-ham-and-ebay_27.html

And thats just a start.. trouble is there are other sites but they just aren't as busy... On the whole I only buy from or sell to other hams and in the UK that ensures some safety net...

http://www.junksale.co.uk/

AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:51:06 AM »

Waah Waah Waah, where there is a market, there will be suppliers.
Anybody that thinks ebay is going to do anything beyond the bare minimum to keep legal is a fool.

Check propogation on 20 meters instead.

N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:21:01 AM »

Go ahead, reort back to us your findings.

Mr. H..... siad: Check propogation on 20 meters instead.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

The thing that got me to stop Ebaying was the complete lack of support for bidders and buyers who are being swindled.

I was in the market for an HT.  The description sounded like Model A, but the HT in question was really a much cheaper and less functional Model B.  I finally got the seller to admit this and then withdrew my bid that was based on the idea that this was Model A.  Ebay sent ME the nastygram for withdrawing my bid, nowhere in their correspondence to me after their nastygram did they admit that a buyer had any recourse when they were misled.

Given that the seller didn't face any sanction, and that the Courts have ruled recently that Ebay didn't have to uphold trademark rights in a case in which they allowed Tiffany lamp counterfeits to be sold as Tiffany lamps, I would have to say that any purchases on Ebay are at YOUR risk.  (check out the WSJ article on this last week.)

As far as gear that has to work, and gear that is more than a few bucks in cost goes, I will stick to real dealers and hams I know.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 06:43:29 AM »

This sort of reminds me of scrap dealers. Here people steal wire and catalytic converters. The police shows up at the junk dealer. Yep sure enough, there is a pile of wire that was obviously stolen from a house or utility. Over there is a pile of 10 catalytic converters which were just brough in this morning.

Why is the police there? They are looking for catalytic converters! There were 10 reports of
stolen converters over night.

What happens? Nat a dman thing.. Back in he cruser and off for doughnuts and coffee.

If things worked correctly, the catalytic converters whould have been confiscated, junk dealer fined $1000.00 per unit. Because the ass knew they were hot when he bought them.

Same with eBay. They know damn well some of the mdse. is fake. But what the hell, it's profitable and that is what matters.. Fortunately eBay is slowely killing itself. Meg Whitman, who I actually feel has a conscience, seen the hand writing on the wall.

Craig

K2NRC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »

'Well, I finally had enough angst dealing with their "policy" on illegal CB amplifiers. in the past year I have personally reported over 2,000 (yes I kept records) of the illegal CB amplifiers being sold and advertised as 10 meter ham units'.  WOW!!!  'over 2000' reports!  i only WISH i had that much free time!!! barely enough to get on the RADIO, and have a moment or 2 to peruse these entertainment sites....ooops, i mean forums.  

i do like the 'check propagation on 20 meters' idea better then my own idea of searching out e skip on 10 meters in october....either one is WHY i got into amateur radio, not 'law enforcement'.
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »

I think you may be angry at the wrong people.

Yes, by all means report them to eBay.  eBay is there to make money, if they actually pulled the ad I'd be shocked.

Copy & paste the URL and email it to the amateur/cb enforcement division at the FCC (who ever now has Riley Hollingsworth's job).  If that guy cares, they might do something and you have done your best.

"Boycotting" eBay wouldn't work.  You are talking a few thousand people who care vs missions that don't.

Good luck, though, and let us all knw what the FCC says.

K5TEN
Bruce
Hot Springs, AR
W5WAA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

I too have made numerous attempts to notify them of outright frauds, and the same sellers are still there. Ebay's main concern is making money, they could care less about buyers or sellers problems. You'll notice that everyone, including frauds and cheats have a 100 rating, or at worse 99. You can't trust their "rating" system at all. They might as well eliminate it. They also do other things to "force" you into using Pay-Pal and their other services for everything (they own Pay-Pal). We got along just fine before ebay, we can certainly get along fine again, luckily hams have other methods of selling and buying.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 01:46:21 PM »

so .. why do you care ?
perhaps you need a new hobby, such as fishing.
i could care less what anyone sells on ebay.

very silly.

kevin
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »

I am still on ebay. I can sell my ham stuff for top dollar, and find rare stuff. Sorry, Craiglist is just not much of an alternative resource, unless you are shopping for "erotic services". I have seen old linears on ebay too. Lot of times sellers maybe don't know what they have, otherwise they could have listed it in a correct category to get more hits. One was being sold as a "Linyar" by someone who was illiterate and had no clue what it was. Like the ads selling regular CB's as "hams". Lot of people buy this junk in auctions and the like, have little or no knowledge. I don't see the geniuses at ebay taking alot of time to determine what exactly each device really is, CB amp, commercial amp, ham amp, combination of more than one, etc.  They are not tech geniuses, either.          
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »

Quote: "by KF8ZN on July 17, 2008  Mail this to a friend!  
Waah Waah Waah, where there is a market, there will be suppliers.
Anybody that thinks ebay is going to do anything beyond the bare minimum to keep legal is a fool.

Check propogation on 20 meters instead."

AND

" by K6REA on March 18, 2009  Mail this to a friend!  
so .. why do you care ?
perhaps you need a new hobby, such as fishing.
i could care less what anyone sells on ebay.

very silly.

kevin"

Those are good answers.

WHY some hams get so upset over what goes on with 11 meter stuff is beyond me.  

Trying to restrict the sale of most ANYTHING is simply stupid!  The federal government tried that with alcohol back in the 1920's and look what happened. BIG crime.   They are still trying with drugs. Look what is happening. BIGGER crime!

IF you want to do something useful, Go after any idiot who actually USES something and commits a crime.

After all, Maybe the buyer of some big high power tube amplifier will take the cover off first and stick his "golden" screwdriver in to milk out the last few watts.   BANG!   End of entire problem!

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to contact eBay about these, too. Sounds like eBay is going to allow these illegal CB linears no matter what.

I got sick of wading through the CB amplifiers there, too.

I have a $50/month store on eBay in addition to several web sites. We're looking into moving all our stuff on eBay over to auctivacommerce.com. Ebay used to be great, but in my opinion, they're out of control.

73 Mike

KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

eBay seems to have found that complying with the law and common courtesy don't fit in with their business plan. I'm truly surprised not to find prostitution and crack cocaine offered there.

If they have more than one or two people checking the e-mail of reported violations, I would be shocked. I used to buy ancient coins quite often there, but got tired of wading through the reproductions/counterfeits and jewelry (which have their own categories, but those categories don't get the "eyes"). I used to complain, but found that yelling at my big toe to be as productive and far more convenient.

I rarely use eBay anymore. It's a shame, it had/still has potential, but as long as rule violations are ignored or have insufficient resources for enforcement, it will only get worse.

-- Tom
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: