Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Star Trek and Ham radio ?  (Read 3224 times)
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »

Will much of the rest of the world's population see the ham radio connections in this movie.  Even though I was told about the antennas before I saw the movie -- I still missed them.  I might have been distracted by the rather unrealistic bridge set.

In the early 1950s a great movie was made, "The Day The Earth Stood Still".  Yes, it is a classic.  But, the best part of this old classic in regard to futuristic views of technology was the scene showing Mr. Carpenter at the command bridge of his flying saucer (when he was contacting home base to set up the day the earth stood still).  Here was a command and control system based on some kind of sensory interaction -- no buttons, no displays of any sort that we would recognize, and no switches or knobs to turn.  Just wave your hand over a few panels and magic happens.

Star Trek, even their latest movie, has shown very little imagination in the future technology possibilities.  There should be less need for visual displays.  After all, if the computers are really controlling most of the ship, less man-machine interaction is needed -- humans are just going along for the ride.

Taking this argument a little farther I think it is obvious that my Yaesu 7800R VHF/UHF rig is far more advanced then the Star Trek command bridge.  It gets by with the minimum of knobs, buttons, and information display.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »

P.S. on Star Trek --

They did a decent job casting the main characters.  Dr. McCoy was a perfect fit -- a computer generated facsimile could not have been better then the actor they chose and he was the best fit for capturing McCoy's mannerisms and quirks.

The worst was Scotty -- The real Scotty was a serious down-to-earth engineer not some giddy twirp like the guy portrayed in this movie.  The original actor who played Scotty, James Dohann, lived just a few miles away from my home QTH and he and I would often run into each other at the local Costco in Kirkland (WA) or Starbucks Coffee in Redmond.  Even though he would often catch autograph hounds I never did approach him to say hi or anything in the multiple times that are paths would cross over the years (I think I am shy).  I read someplace that Dohann's grandson played the role of Scotty's assistant at that remote Starfleet outpost on the frozen planet.
NQ6V

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »

Years ago, "Scotty" owned and operated a hobby locomotive stored at Travel Town, in Burbank, Ca. He sometimes pulled it  out of storage, hooked it up to passenger cars, and give persons rides thru the park.

I had no idea he moved up north.

About the movie. I thought it sucked. they could have remained loyal to the original instead of destroying Vulcan. I was expecting a first adventure of the historic 5-year mission, and not Kirk being made Captian and not yet an Academy graduate, just woooshed into the center seat.

I really do not belive there will be any more episodes of this paticular series. Too many people are just shaking their heads at all the false claims of how great people say the movie is, and say"I will never watch it.".
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »

So much for not giving away the movie...

I didn't have time to go see it anyway.
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »

What is it with modern day "Hollywood"? They do remakes (planet of the Apes), remakes of remakes and recently remakes of remakes done from remakes (King Kong). They also seem to have an obsession with prequels, and, they never work because some Hollywood knucklehead thinks he can do better than the original and ends up with a bunch of contradictions.

Or, in this case, knows there will be contradictions and covers them up with things like time travel. Which can't work, because if it did, when the subject exits the "portal", everything in the universe would have moved and they'd never know where they physically are. Sorry about popping some "Coast to Coast AM Time Travel" fans fantasy bubble, but there it is.

So, what could they have done that would would have eliminated contradictions and the tired old time travel debacle? Here's a thought, there were plenty, as in dozens of open ended episode plots from not just TOS, but STNG, DS9, STV *and* STE to keep them busy for decades. Many were down right excellent and would have made first rate stories if they were concluded in a feature 100 or even 1000 years hence, with a new crew for crying out load.

Oh well, I'll still go watch it, what the hell. But it really should have been a sequel further in the future, without another "Save the Whales" scenario, by the way.

But, what do I know.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »

Re NO6L...

In TOS there was an episodes in TOS that involved time travel for the Enterprise and its entire crew  with Kirk as captain.

"City on the Edge" was about time travel as well but it was via a portal.  Still it was time travel of sorts.

I can rember one off the top of my head, when the eterprise went back in time using a large star to slingshot the ship faster so it would go back in time to monitor the launch of an orbiting nuke space platform by the US in retaliation for one launched by the Russians--cold war era theme of course.

So the Original Series did in fact have time travel, all be it by a different means of bringing it about but still time travel.

The Next Generation also had time travel when time was altered because Piccard did not become captain with the result a galactic war.  There was a Galactic Rift that opened up a Time Portal to the past where the old past enterprise was sucked up into the future.  You may remember it because the older Enterprise went back thru the rift on a suicide mission that eneded up restoreing the normal balance.

And also, in Deep Space 9, there was of course the Worm Hole and the jumping between parallel dimensions of dual characters on a routine basis.

So 'Time Travel' has always been a part of the Trek and Trek Spinoff series.

Now IF you are making reference to the theory of point of focus of gravity in a black hole where all matter is crushed (Point of Singularity I think it is called) by the gravity of the black hole then of course in theory time travel thru a black hole is theory impossible.  BUT THEN AGAIN when has Hollywood ever been completely Factual about science, theory or proven.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »

Re NO6L...

In TOS there was an episodes in TOS that involved time travel for the Enterprise and its entire crew  with Kirk as captain.

"City on the Edge" was about time travel as well but it was via a portal.  Still it was time travel of sorts.

I can rember one off the top of my head, when the eterprise went back in time using a large star to slingshot the ship faster so it would go back in time to monitor the launch of an orbiting nuke space platform by the US in retaliation for one launched by the Russians--cold war era theme of course.

So the Original Series did in fact have time travel, all be it by a different means of bringing it about but still time travel.

The Next Generation also had time travel when time was altered because Piccard did not become captain with the result a galactic war.  There was a Galactic Rift that opened up a Time Portal to the past where the old past enterprise was sucked up into the future.  You may remember it because the older Enterprise went back thru the rift on a suicide mission that eneded up restoreing the normal balance.

And also, in Deep Space 9, there was of course the Worm Hole and the jumping between parallel dimensions of dual characters on a routine basis.

So 'Time Travel' has always been a part of the Trek and Trek Spinoff series.

Now IF you are making reference to the theory of point of focus of gravity in a black hole where all matter is crushed (Point of Singularity I think it is called) by the gravity of the black hole then of course in theory time travel thru a black hole is theory impossible.  BUT THEN AGAIN when has Hollywood ever been completely Factual about science, theory or proven.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 04:48:13 PM »

OK here is a problem for Trekies....

IF RF traves in free space at approx the speed of light.  

Then when the Enterprise is traveling at faster than the speed of light...HOW can it transmit forward if the ship is going faster than the speed of light and the RF Travels Forward much slower than the ship?
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 02:19:36 PM »

Assuming that is not a bait question...

it's more of a question for freshman physics students than for Trekkies, unless they happen to be the same.

And, the answer is: your question makes assumptions that are not correct.

That's why Einstein was so smart. He knew the right questions to ask.

Go to the used book store and get a freshman physics book and look for the chapter on "relativistic  effects" or something like that. If you don't find that, look in the index for "time dilation" or "twin paradox."
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »

hi,

the ship has FTL, Faster Then Light processors,
plus all sorts of beams that emit from the main
deflector array.

The USS Enterprise first experienced time travel in 2266 when an emergency cold starting of its warp drive slingshot the ship and crew 71 hours into the past. (TOS: "The Naked Time")

In 2267, after an encounter with a black star, the Enterprise was hurled 300 years into the past. Eventually, the Enterprise's science officer Spock devised a method for returning the Enterprise back to its original period. (TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday")

Sometime in 2268 the Enterprise traveled back in time, using the light-speed breakaway factor, to 1968 on a historical research mission. (TOS: "Assignment: Earth") This episode featured Robert Lansing and Terry Garr

And in the movies to return to Earth to beam up
a pair of whales that were extinct in the future.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »

If you guys are really interested in this kind of stuff, read the book "The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence M. Krauss.  Krauss is a theoretical physicist and authors a number of popular books explaining the magic of modern physics.  He also has a sequel to this book called "Beyond Star Trek" that discusses the physics of such movies like "Independence Day" and other questions.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »

I'll have to check out the Krauss book.

Please tell me that at some point he makes it clear that there is a very good reason they call it "science **fiction**."

Conceding there are exceptions, a lot of cops don't like most cop movies, as most lawyers don't like most court case movies, doctors don't like to watch "ER" and most people who have had any science education tends to find science fiction movies a bit absurd.

They're just "movies."
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 08:58:16 AM »

Re END...

Nope its a TOS and perhaps TNG script explanation question.

I remember the mention of Sub Space Frequencies.  But I do not ever seem to have any memory of what exactly these allegedly SSFs per scripts.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:35 AM »

I am offering a good argument that every single Star Trek episode on TV and in the movies is a time-travel story.

Both special relativity and general relativity invoke time dilation as a result of relative motion and acceleration (which is equivalent to being in a gravitational field).  In particular, with ST, whenever the Star ship accelerates which it always does in invoking warp drive (see comment at end) then time slows down for the star ship and its occupants.  That is, they age more slowly.

The federation headquarters in San Francisco on Earth though is aging at normal rate for the earth in its gravitational field so it moves into the future much faster.  So, when the star ship Enterprise communicates with the federation on earth it is communicating with them in their past.  That is, since the TV show or movies do not recognize the time translations required by SR and GR, they must by definition be communicating into the past of the Earth.  And, when they visit the San Francisco offices in what the show implies is current time, it is actually in the past history with respect to the planet earth.

Comment on Warp Drive -- who knows what his is and it could be a form of space warping which is sort of what was used in the book Dune.  Even so, GR would require time dilation in the same manner as if you were accelerating.  Good stuff to read on this subject is Kip Thorne's writings on "traversable wormholes and time travel" and also his book: Black Holes and Time Warps.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »

On the book "The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence Krauss.

If you are interested in science fiction and how such fiction might be made real or what laws of physics might prevent such fiction from being realized then this book is for you.

The author, a theoretical physicist, takes various aspects of the TV show, such as warp drive, energy shields, transporter, and so on and explains what physical principles are required, what amount of energy might be required, and so on to make such things true.

And, while I am at it, there is another popular author who writes on similar subjects.  This is Michio Kaku and he also is a theoretical physicist doing work in particle and String theories.  A good book to start which discusses similar topics is "The Physics of the Impossible".

Both these books are available in paperback at B&N, Borders, etc.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: