Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Star Trek and Ham radio ?  (Read 2789 times)
SV1ENS

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »

Did you guys notice the amateur radio mobile antennas installed in the USS Kelvin bridge in the new Star Trek movie ?

There were 3 of them, one was a Vhf/Uhf diamond antenna, the other looked like a mobile scanner antenna, the third was indeed a mobile antenna but couldn't make out the type...

A nicely done ST movie with an interesting twist in the plot (I won't give it away), regardless of the mobile antennas and the old fashion plumbing valves in the engineering room of the Kelvin...

So I guess Ham radio and plumbing is alive and well in the 22nd century...  

Demetre - VE3/SV1ENS
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:59:49 AM »

I jut saw the movie yesterday and spotted the antennas, as well.

My only complaint is the engineering spaces on this movie's NCC-1701 are far more advanced and complicated looking than in the original series. And the Bridge!!! No where near as simplistic as the original. The original crew would have willingly have mated with Klingons and Romulons to get bridge displays and controls like those in the movie. Smiley

The twist at the end is illogical, as is the one character who is killed off in this movie but appears live and well in several of the "later" movies.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »

Actually the plot twist was an easy way of creating a story path that doesn't conflict with the ST history facts as per the TV series and the movies to date...

It also created a new path for new movies and a new TV series...

The story writers could have thought the entire plot a bit better and maybe come up with a better story, but the action and effects made up of these short comings...

Demetre - SV1ENS

BTW Uhura's first name is Nyota  ;-)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »

<< Actually the plot twist was an easy way of creating a story path that doesn't conflict with the ST history facts as per the TV series and the movies to date... >>

But it is a major break that DOES conflict with history. Spock's mother plays an integral part in several of the movies.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »

Actually it's not...

Once the Romulons traveled back in time and interfered with the normal flow of history/time, the altered history/time will reflect one possible of many alternatives...

The chaos theory states:

"Small variations of the initial condition of a dynamic system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system."

The "Butterfly effect" and "Chaos theory" works wonders with sci-fi movies :-)

Demetre - VE3/SV1ENS
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »

point taken. Smiley

When my wife asked me (as a very old trekkie) what I thought of the movie, I said it was an abomination - but a well done abomination. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

N0TRK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »

Saw the antennas!  Hello.. even in space you need  amateur radio for back up Smiley

As an original Trekkie seeing all of the episodes on TV on their original air date.. this was GREAT!   It is an ALTERNATE time line.. the things we know are not going to happen.. it is a whole new set of stories in front of us!    This isn't the beginning of the original Trek it is an alternate reality.   J.J. Abrams hit us across the face with it.   So from the day James Kirk was born... nothing will be the same.  
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »

I won't be surprised if we get a new TV series soon, with a more human Spock and a bad boy Kirk...

Demetre - VE3/SV1ENS
KC2WI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »

If you remember in the original series episode Balance of Terror it was stated that the last contact with Romulans was 100 years ago durng the Earth-Romulan war but very little was known about them. Contact was audio only, etc.

I haven't seen the new movie only some clips but it would appear that in this movie the humans know a lot more about the Romulans. Plus this events in this movie supposedly happen a few years before the original series, not 100 years before.

So this movie can't be taken seriously as part of the real Star Trek timeline, if that ever was consistant. I also have to agree about the bridge and ship appearance. They could have made it look a lot more like the original except of course do a lot better with the controls, etc. Maybe something like the first  movies. Viewers could accept that because of advancement in techmology in the real world.

From what I see this movie probably relies too much on special effects, etc. The fact is that although the original series "effects" were pretty hokey, we still enjoyed the show because it was not based on the special effects but rather the stories and the caharacter interactions.

Just like Star Wars. I don't think most people care that the original Star Wars effects weren't as elaborate as the later movies. They were good enough and it's the story that counts.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 04:13:08 AM »

Re LK...

re: "When my wife asked me (as a very old trekkie) what I thought of the movie, I said it was an abomination - but a well done abomination. Smiley "

I went this past week to see the new trek movie.   I was almost prepared to be disappointed as having seen the TOS when they were first broadcast.

BUT I surprisingly liked the movie very much.  Kirk was still Kirk but with youthful stupidity, Spoc showed yo momma jokes are not in his favorite jokes, Scottie made me LMAO, Bones was bones--Damnit Jim Im a doctor not a (fill in the blank).

As a Prequel Movie it was not bad.

I place the movie a close second to The Wrath of Kahn and definately better than the very first Star Trek Movie.

N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:19 AM »

From the way the movie ended, there's no doubt there will be more of these movies with the "new" cast. It was reported on TV that the next script is already being written. And there's little doubt that future Star Trek movies will somehow use the black holes for time travel to erase what occurred in the latest movie so it all jibes with the TV show -- that is a certain planet still exists and a major character's parent is still alive.

As I told my wife on the way home from the theater, it's not exactly Star Trek as I have followed it since day No. 1 -- Sept. 8, 1966 -- but who's counting? -- but it's a close approximation. I was 12 years old when the original hit NBC. I never, never would have thought that 43 years later it would still be around and I'd still be a big fan. But is is and so am I.

Live long and prosper,
Dave, N4KZ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »

Did you notice the tower top sections in the movie?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »

hi,

The Guardian of Forever could be visited again and again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever

73 james
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »

What about the tower ? did they have an HF beam installed ??   :-)
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »

For the benefit of those who haven't yet seen the movie.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4848/snapshot20090521061412.jpg

Demetre - SV1ENS
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: