Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-7800R Desk Microphone  (Read 2500 times)
KB5WVK

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this.

My buddy KE5ZCG just recived his ticket. He picked up a Yaesu FT-7800R which he uses in fixed service.

He has asked me to make a microphone adapter so that he can connect an Astatic D-104 or a Shure 526T to it.

I may be wrong, but connecting a D-104 to this radio just does not sound like a good idea.

He is NOT trying to increase his performance or his "sound" on the air, he simply prefers a desk microphone over a handheld.

So my question is-

Is there a plug and play desk mic available for this rig?

Or can someone point me in the right direction of one that would be suitable to be wired to it?

Thanks! I appreciate any advice or ideas you have to offer.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »

Hi,
I doubt that you'll find a desktop microphone that is "plug and play" for a radio that was designed as a mobile.  I think any desktop mic you find will require some degree of rewiring and impedance matching to get it to work with a FT-7800.  Also, make sure your buddy realizes that he'll be giving up his DTMF capabilities by going away from the stock mic.  That might make a difference if he's trying to send control tones to a repeater or something similar.  Good luck.

N5VTU
KT7DAD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »

What about a desktop mike for a 8800R?

Any idea?
KC2GLR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:43:33 AM »

The MEK-2 should help you. http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/3780.html
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:12:07 AM »

If you wish a desk mic go the the Heil Web Page or to to the Yaesu web site for optional goodies for that particular model of radio.

However the model radio you stated is a 'mobile' radio.  And while it can be used as a base station the radio is still a 2 meter radio using FM.  Use the mic that came with the radio.  

Tell your friend to throw those ol mics in the junk box.  New radios do not use those mics.  They require a completely differenly designed mic.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »

<< Tell your friend to throw those ol mics in the junk box. New radios do not use those mics. They require a completely differenly designed mic.>>

There's nothing the matter with either of the two mikes in question. With the proper impedance matching, they'll work nicely on any modern _HF_ rig.

They are not a good choice for a mobile FM rig.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »

Re LK...

WHY stand on your head to eat a hamburger when you dont have to so.

WHY even BOTHER and go thru a bunch of BS crap to make a mic work when all you have to do is to go to a well known and respected mic manufacturer such as Heil and purchase a "Superior" mic (with adaptors already made and ready to go <if required>)OR the manufacturer of the radio themselves and just buy a proper mic designed by the manufacturer to work properly with the radio in question.

IF a person cannot afford a half way decent modern mic from a reputable dealer then ya have to ask yourself, what the hell are they doing in a hobby where the poor do not belong in the first place.

OLD trash technology deserves to be in one two places--a display for ancient quite dead technology at a public library OR in a trash can.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »

Ray:

<< WHY even BOTHER and go thru a bunch of BS crap to make a mic work when all you have to do is to go to a well known and respected mic manufacturer such as Heil and purchase a "Superior" mic (with adaptors already made and ready to go <if required>)OR the manufacturer of the radio themselves and just buy a proper mic designed by the manufacturer to work properly with the radio in question. >>

Because unlike youself, there are many who like to try something different that actually requires some thought and knowledge, instead of mindlessly plugging one thing into another. IOW, because they CAN!

<< IF a person cannot afford a half way decent modern mic from a reputable dealer then ya have to ask yourself, what the hell are they doing in a hobby where the poor do not belong in the first place. >>

You have got to be the most arrogant, self-important ham  I have ever run across. Who do you think you are to say what a person should or should not have for a hobby. You have made this absolutely ignorant statement more than once. Personally, YOU need to find another hobby, since you obviously are soooo superior to the rest of us peons.

<<OLD trash technology deserves to be in one two places--a display for ancient quite dead technology at a public library OR in a trash can.>>

The same can be said for you, Sir. Your attitude belongs in the trash can!!!!! I have several pieces of "ancient technology" that works just as well as my "modern" technology.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: