Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help identifying an old antenna  (Read 486 times)
K4JC

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »

I was recently given an old 3-element triband HF beam. I was told it's maybe 40-45 years old. It's a Hy-Gain (at least that's what the traps are marked) but the traps are very unusual. They look sort of like Tupperware bowls! I've never seen one like this before. Any ideas on what model it might be? Hopefully someone will know and I can scrounge up a copy of the manual, or at least the proper dimensions to make restoration a bit easier. Thanks!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »

Sounds like the traps on the HyGain triband ground plane I bought secondhand from K7BRW, way back in 1960.  Looked sort of clunky, but they worked.  I'm guessing your beam is probably the same vintage.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »

Thanks to Glenn, AE7AD, who sent me several scans of some old QST ads, I have identified my antenna! It is a Hy-Gain Mini Tribander, ca. 1958. According to a (2-page!) QST ad, it is good for 600 watts AM, with a hot dip galvanized steel (!) boom and 6061-ST6 aluminum elements. And, of course, Hy-Gain's exclusive hermetically sealed "Insu-Traps". MSRP in '58 was $69.50. According to the inflation calculator at dollartimes.com, that's $514.47 in today's dollarettes!

I should be able to glean a lot of helpful information from these ads. Still, I can't help but wonder if there's a copy of the manual for this antenna floating around out there somewhere? Again, many thanks, Glenn!
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »

Drop 'em a note and ask if they have it. I don't know how much archive material MFJ wound up with when they acquired Hy-Gain , but they'd be as good a place as any to start looking.It takes a few days for 'em to answer e-mails , call if you can't wait that long.

Russ, W5RB

http://www.hy-gain.com/contact.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: