Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would modding this amp be legal ?  (Read 2218 times)
KI7LL

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »

My nephew recently was given some radio equipment by a widowed friend. He's not into radios and gave them to me.
They were a siltronics 1011 and a palomar 300a amp.Im pretty sure the Siltronics is illegal to use for anything but I got into a debate about the palomar. I was thinking it may be possible to modify it to use on 10 meters and was told it could not. And more importantly if it could, would it be legal to use on 10 meters. It has been a while since I studied the fcc regs but it seemed I read somewhere you could modify 11 meter equipment to use on 10 meters but not vice versa. If it would be illegal to modify and use on 10 meters then I am wondering why? Wouldnt it be made legal after a mod ? Maybe I need to refresh some things I thought I learned years ago. Thanks for any responses.    Jim
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »

Part 97:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/47cfr97_02.html

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:12:13 AM »

Siltronix 1011 was a popular CB rig.  If I remember correctly, it had to be modified to go from 10 meters to 11 meters.

The FT 101 rigs were also popular CB rigs once they were converted.

Bob
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:15:39 AM »

As an amateur, you can pretty much modify anything _for_use_on_the_ham_bands.

Once modified, however, you cannot then go back to using whatever it is on 11m.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »

You can legally modify anything to work on the ham bands. YOU however, are responsible to ensure that it meets current Part 97 technical standards.
KI7LL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »

Thanks for the link to part 97,I should have remembered to look there first but not being as active as I used to I tend to forget those things and will have to go over the whole thing again.On a second note there are some good parts in those two boxes to sell or start some sort of project.Thanks again.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:49:46 AM »

The 1011 model is probably one of the worse radios ever made when it comes to stability.

It was definately the CB darling because if its ease of conversion to illegal use.

The radio itself is not illegal as long as you transmit only  on the 10 meter band for which it was designed and have a legit license from the FCC.

The problem is 'Drifting'.  The 1011 series drifted all over the damn place.

Best suggestion, dust it off and put it on a shelf in total retirement.  Better yet, put it in a display collection that you can put into a local public library.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »

One could put it on 12 meters and then call it a Siltronics 1112.

Another famous CB rig was the Tempo One.

Bob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

I have a somewhat different view:

The Siltronix unit was marketed to be an illegal, not well camouflaged, high power CB rig with VFO control (which was never legal on CB or anywhere in Part 95); however when used on 10m, other than drifting like other Swan rigs, it's not a bad unit.  I've used them several times over many years and unless somebody screwed it up, it's a perfectly functional 10m rig.  If you stay away from band edges, it won't drift out of the band and thus would be perfectly legal to use.

However it would be grossly overpowered to use with the Palomar 300A, which is a sweep tube amp that only requires about 40W drive (in "HI") or 4W drive (in "LOW").  If anyone used the 1011 with the Palomar, I'd think there's a pretty good chance they blew the smithereens out of the Palomar.

The 300A is a 40-10m bandswitched amp with input (cathode) and output tuning, and a bandswitch.  It probably works fine on 10m if you don't overdrive it, and if it's not already destroyed:

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/palomar/300a/graphics/palomar_300a_sch.gif

WB2WIK/6
KI7LL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »

I was thinking those big variable capacitors in the amp would be good for somthing. The power supply in the amp would be good to power someones transceiver and that vfo in the siltronics could also probably be used. ?At any rate Im not letting it get back into a cb'ers hands. End of story.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »

It's legal, if you're General AFAIK... if it's anything like the time I modded a Motorola N1275D (yeah, I know, it's UHF, but same general idea), this would primarily involve swapping out a few caps. But judging from what other posters have said about your amp's reputation for drift, personally the only way I'd run it on 10 would be by adding a well-tuned LC filter arrangement to the output.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

Sell the darn thing to a CB op and take the $$ and run like heck.
KF6PHV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »

I remember when the Siltronix first came out, it had a rep of having a very UPWARD modulated carrier, leading me to believe it was made to operate like sideband on AM.  They also referred to it as a "Slippy-tronix" for it's wonderful ability to drift all over the place.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »

KE6WNH said:
"judging from what other posters have said about your amp's reputation for drift, personally the only way I'd run it on 10 would be by adding a well-tuned LC filter arrangement to the output"

K4DPK says:

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but what does VFO drift have to do with output filtering?

It isn't the amp that's drifting.  It's the VFO or PTO in the transmitter.  Swan was famous for that.

VFO drift is caused by:
1.  Changes in component vaues in the frequency-determining circuit due to changes in temperature.
2.  Variations in voltage to the oscillator circuit,or
3.  Changes in the load on the oscillator circuit.

How are these related to amplifier output filtering?

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
N9ZAS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 01:08:54 PM »

NONE of the above mentioned radios were ever cb's to begin with! These are poorly manufactured ham rigs which were designed to modify illegally for cb use! Most hams I know would not grace their station with these,myself included! Although they would make a great doorstop or boat anchor,lol!
N9ZAS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: